4G phones in Thailand?

Guest siamjourney

Guest siamjourney

I went by Siam T.V. to see what's available in Smartphones these days. Only a few of the phones were labeled 4G and those seemed quite expensive. Only one (Samsung model) was under 10k. Does anyone know when 4G will be available in CM and whether it's wise to buy a 4G phone now or wait for lower prices in the future?

Also, because I hate the aggressive sales staff at Siam I'd appreciate any recommendations for alternative places with a good selection but less stress.

Thanks.

Guest siamjourney

Assuming 4G eventually gets more reliable does it make sense to get a 4G phone now instead of wasting time/money on a 3G model even though they are currently cheaper? I would like the new phone to be useful for a few years with whatever the current technology is.

You will only need 4G if you are a heavy data user, using your phone to download large files. 3G is sufficient for streaming video.

But then if you're downloading lots of data, you'll run out of data in your package anyway and shift to EDGE.

For 99% or users, 4G is simply a marketing ploy, of no use to them whatsoever.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You will only need 4G if you are a heavy data user, using your phone to download large files. 3G is sufficient for streaming video.

But then if you're downloading lots of data, you'll run out of data in your package anyway and shift to EDGE.

True has a Home brand 4G phone, Android based, looks quite solid. for 4G generally can only use it in big cities i.e. bkk, chiangmai, khon khen etc.

I can confirm there are benefits

1) videos do stream better and generally there is no waiting time

2) speech recognition works better and fast

Guest siamjourney

So if you're not downloading a lot of data and just want a decent phone there's no compelling reason to go with a 4G model? I don't anticipate downloading a lot of data. If the cost was about the same I would consider it but the 4G models seem much more expensive.

I agree with Naam ...there is a lot of clever marketing of 4G available in Thailand but out of the main city spots ...it's not only spotty its non-existent

I use a 4G phone for work and have to say in Thailand out of the main spots in CM BBK the coverage is close to nil and phone reverts back to 3G

If you are not a heavy data user (ie downloading big files, video streaming etc) you really need 3G only watching YouTube , Facebook etc

Laos and Cambodia has better coverage than Thailand :)

Edited by LawrenceChee

we were early adopters of a 4g Note 3 samsung phone... and have noticed over the past year that 4g coverage has dramatically improved around town.

We live out in Sansai and get 4g, also getting it down in parts of Hang Dong and Promenade side of town as well...

Our plan provides for 1.5 gigs (true move) of 4G, then cuts back to 3G if you exceed that limit... since the wife

likes to watch instructional videos (say, while waiting for the kids drama class to end, or other outside activities)... this serves us well...

We don't believe that sound quality of calls is affected by 4G, but our data stream certainly benefits from it.

If your intention to purchase a smartphone is to use it for couple of years, go for the latest model if possible. This is because, the rate at which new smartphones are launching, the older models get obsolete pretty fast. Should you, for any reason, opt to get an older model, do not attempt to upgrade the software when prompted to do so. This will slow down the operation of your phone. The new software require more RAM in order to function well, and your old model smartphone normally has lesser RAM than the new model that comes with a new software. Most applications can still be used even if you do not upgrade the developer's new software.

As for 4G in Chiang Mai, I do not think it works as good as in Bangkok and in other countries. Unless you are certain you can get a downloading speed of more than 30 mbps, then it is worth to get it. In other countries, most subscribers can get downloading speed of at least 50mpbs and up to 100 mpbs in the city area.

Next is the data cost. While you enjoy the fast downloading speed of 4G data network, the way your data gets used up is like a water buffalo drinking water in the field. Depending on how often you surf and your surfing contents, a 4G data network can cost you 3-4 times your current data usage. If you stream videos, it will be much much more.

I'm here in Chiang Mai and have Trues prepaid 4G plan for 299 baht/month... It is limited to a few places here in the city - but my house is located in one of those areas and I get 4G all the time...

As said if you are shopping for a phone I would spend the money for the 4G as in a year or two it will be the standard...

I would ask, just what you would need faster data for, in most cases 3G is more than enough, having said that even 3G is spotty to the point in many towns you default to E. Service providers are not "fast" in upgrading and their "technical" staff are not that capable of maintaining a secure network. There is NO backup/diversity built into any network, this includes their fibre systems.

In my experience, I would wait. They haven't even got 3G stable outside of major conurbations. I live in Phitsanulok which is quite a big provincial town and my dtac 3G is sporadic to say the least. My workplace is five storeys above the ground and even 3G reverts to 'E' on a regular basis. I have thought of migrating to True but I understand their customer service is even worse than dtac and there is no facility for duplicating one SIM card for my iPhone and iPad like I have with my current supplier.

skippybangkok, on 03 Nov 2014 - 23:39, said:skippybangkok, on 03 Nov 2014 - 23:39, said:

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

naboo, on 03 Nov 2014 - 23:21, said:naboo, on 03 Nov 2014 - 23:21, said:

True has a Home brand 4G phone, Android based, looks quite solid. for 4G generally can only use it in big cities i.e. bkk, chiangmai, khon khen etc.

I can confirm there are benefits

1) videos do stream better and generally there is no waiting time

2) speech recognition works better and fast

What has 4G got to do with "voice recognition," this is built into the phone.

Edited by MediaWatcher

zippydedodah, on 04 Nov 2014 - 08:53, said:

we were early adopters of a 4g Note 3 samsung phone... and have noticed over the past year that 4g coverage has dramatically improved around town.

We live out in Sansai and get 4g, also getting it down in parts of Hang Dong and Promenade side of town as well...

Our plan provides for 1.5 gigs (true move) of 4G, then cuts back to 3G if you exceed that limit... since the wife

likes to watch instructional videos (say, while waiting for the kids drama class to end, or other outside activities)... this serves us well...

We don't believe that sound quality of calls is affected by 4G, but our data stream certainly benefits from it.

You are right about sound quality, 4G,3G, EDGE are only for data, they have NOTHING to do with audio on phone calls, please do not get Skype, viber, line etc confused as these require data connections.... so many people do not know this.

sfokevin, on 04 Nov 2014 - 10:40, said:sfokevin, on 04 Nov 2014 - 10:40, said:

I'm here in Chiang Mai and have Trues prepaid 4G plan for 299 baht/month... It is limited to a few places here in the city - but my house is located in one of those areas and I get 4G all the time...

As said if you are shopping for a phone I would spend the money for the 4G as in a year or two it will be the standard...

You statement " 4G as in a year or two it will be the standard" purely what you hope, so far 4G has been out for 2 years and still not "standard," just how do you justify your statement when in most of Thailand even 3G is NOT "standard."

Edited by MediaWatcher

I had the Samsung s5 in uk with 4G on ee and it was fast as I need it for various business ventures that I am involved with. I get bored with phones easily so I just bought the new Samsung note 4 last week outright and got AIS simca Rd with 89 baht a week unlimited Internet. This is an awesome phone and does everything I need it too. Having fast WiFi in my apartment helps bit when I'm out and about on 3G this is almost the same as 4G. :-)

I don't see that much difference between 3G and H+ here in thailand . Same same ;-)

Edited by bigwhitewarrior

Guest siamjourney

Thanks for all your replies. I recently read a good review about the Asus Zen series. Does anyone have experience with the 5LTE 4G model? Siam TV has several Asus Zen models but not the 4G model which apparently costs 2k more and is sold out. Does anyone know where to get this phone in CM?

sfokevin, on 04 Nov 2014 - 10:40, said:sfokevin, on 04 Nov 2014 - 10:40, said:

You statement " 4G as in a year or two it will be the standard" purely what you hope, so far 4G has been out for 2 years and still not "standard," just how do you justify your statement when in most of Thailand even 3G is NOT "standard."

I guess I live life with a glass half full... tongue.png

Thanks for all your replies. I recently read a good review about the Asus Zen series. Does anyone have experience with the 5LTE 4G model? Siam TV has several Asus Zen models but not the 4G model which apparently costs 2k more and is sold out. Does anyone know where to get this phone in CM?

If you like purple you can get one delivered by Lazada biggrin.png

http://www.lazada.co.th/asus-zenfone-5-lte-a500kl-purple-452636.html

Looking at the specs it looks as though the 4G/LTE is only 700/1800mhz... I think True's 4G is offered via the 2100mhz band?...

Guest siamjourney

I've asked this question before on TV but I thought while we're on the subject of new phones how do most people get their old apps/data over to their new models? I've heard about having to 'root' the phone and using a backup/restore program after that but is it really a complete nightmare to switch phones after 1-3 years and have all your apps/data back on the new model? Obviously, everyone would just like to get their new model and have their current environment available on their new toy.

I agree with Naam ...there is a lot of clever marketing of 4G available in Thailand but out of the main city spots ...it's not only spotty its non-existent

I use a 4G phone for work and have to say in Thailand out of the main spots in CM BBK the coverage is close to nil and phone reverts back to 3G

If you are not a heavy data user (ie downloading big files, video streaming etc) you really need 3G only watching YouTube , Facebook etc

Laos and Cambodia has better coverage than Thailand :)

Might agree, but not reality .

You will find 4G all over Bangkok and I have documented in many threads about Phuket and other places u will find 4g. CM I don't know

As for use , it makes a huge difference

1. Video / content down and upload

2. Siri voice recognition

"Using more data" - not my experience. Have been using 4g for along time now, and GB per month is same. Simply put , I get my stuff quicker , does not mean I watch more

Edited by skippybangkok

standard voice calls are carried over the 2G network but data uses 3 and 4G so if you use Skype, Line etc for calls these will improve with a 4G connection.