Thailand weighing up police conscription

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a tiny bandage for a gaping wound and I believe it was like this prior to Thaksin taking office. And why wouldn't be ? The pay is horrendous. Police work gets in the way of making a living.

And all the while, these horrendously paid police are watching their ever rotating obscenely wealthy political masters forever filling their boots. Why wouldn't they succumb to temptation? When the RTP were set up they were told 'we'll pay you barely enough to survive on, but you are free to 'gin meaung' - rob your fellow Thai citizens' who are under the illusion you are there to serve and protect you'.

Whoever thought this on up is either inept or completely disingenuous. Or, perhaps there's another reason Baldrick ph34r.png

A better idea would be that army conscripts, who had passed all training and been assessed as being sound and had two years experience, would be given the option of serving in the Deep South or joining the RTP. I would bet that many would choose a stint in the RTP. At least they would have had some professional training and have been vetted for personality disorders somewhat. Also they would be less likely to accidentally shoot someone. I can't believe anyone under the age of 21 would be mature enough to make decisions, on a daily basis, in the public sphere. Maybe the RTP could use them for traffic management; certainly not 'beat' cops.

I would think a good number of that 230,000 may not be real people. An entry of new employee is added to the system, and forever onward the checks will be issued. Or a position is given as a gift to a relative, who never has to enter a TPF facility.

We get to see things from the outside in, we can only imagine the level of corruption on the inside.

The conscription is a great idea for thinning out the bad stuff. At some point honest people just might come forward and turn that whole world upside down. Is that why I see so many images of Serpico?

This is wrong on so many levels. If this police conscription happens, do they still have to do military conscription (if they pick the wrong coloured ping-pong ball)? My son is in the Royal Thai naval training college, when he was looking at which direction to go after finishing his education we spoke with our next door neighbour in Phuket who is some kind of high up person in the "water police" as my missus translated.. He could have got into the water police thanks to this gut but if he wanted to get into the regular police in Phuket it would mean 300k baht changing hands. So these people who are earning from these 300k bribes are not going to be happy about conscripts coming in I imagine. On a side note; We were told if we paid 300k his acceptance into the Navy would be a given. Fortunately for me the lad aced all his exams (although I had to pay for the exam paper, the exam and so on.. the rest is a long story and this is the wrong page!)

Under pay a person with authority and corruption continues.

Offer a reasonable salary with benefits + intense training with the help of a first world country + implement under cover sting operations to keep a watchful eye out for corruption and you'll begin to see improvements.

Thailand has gotten more expensive and for the Government to continue with these embarrassing and miniscule wages, it just goes to show that the bulk of money to be disbursed may be going into the pockets of all future Thaksin's. Seriously...Thaksin was an ex-police who is now a billionaire and from the recent list that was released on total assets of the PM's Cabinet...well, what can one say?

The way I see it, is the Government offers a slave wage to the Police force as an encouragement. How you may ask? Well, put a picture of Thaksin up on the wall in a Police uniform with a personal statement to the cadets:

"I was like you once and now look at me, I'm a Billionaire. Your opportunity is here for the taking; go out and do your best, but always be smart and sneaky and don't get caught and if you do get caught, be sure to have a pay-off fund available to grease your superiors hands so you may continue with your excellent duty to Thailand! Go out there and make us all PROUD!"

The most lucrative and stress-free job you can buy your way into is with the Thai Government.

Very sad, but if they really want to make any difference whatsoever, they must do a complete overhaul of the Police force and pay them a reasonable wage with benefits. They have to give them something to work for...if they give them nothing, then they will find a way to fill the wage gaps and corruption will never end.

When will they ever learn.

Edited by OPG

Will those with only 1 Thai parent be able to join in the lottery?

My son was able to get in, he voluntary applied to join the force, although it was very difficult, there was a lot of prejudice shown towards us by some high ranking police officials, my wife`s nephew was already in the force that certainly helped. I had to be thoroughly investigated to prove I was squeaky clean and at times it felt like I was being interviewed for the job, if they discovered anything about me that could be considered as dodgy, than my son would not have been permitted into the force, in fact they were looking for any excuse to fail him, but they failed to dig up any dirt of us and eventually although it was touch and go he was accepted into the force, but it was made clear that usually police recruits require both parents to be Thai and my son`s case was an exception to the rule, a favour because of my wife`s nephew`s good record. .And no there was no back hand payments involved, if that had been a requirement I would have refused point blank, no question about it.

I actually did not want my son to join the police, as it`s a highly dangerous low paid thankless job, but he takes after my father`s side of the family who have a long history of serving in the American police force.

Going back to the original topic, all this sounds great, but I ask; were is all the money coming from to finance the recruitment of extra police and training?

Um perhaps the proper training and salary might work better than forcing people into the police force. Just saying.....

Throwing money at a problem isn't the right answer.

Thailand should invite an international body of "law enforcement" professionals to conduct a limited scope review with recommended fixes.

The following are a few idea's:

- Institute regulations for Thai Police reform; provides the legal authority for revisions. No grandfather clauses which keeps a structure for senior police officers.

- Analyze what the total workforce currently is, where are they located compared with the communities needs.

- Recommend compensation reform to include junior level entry training program and a pay for performance award system.

- In addition to base pay, include a locality pay adjustment (compensates high-risk details along with reduces salaries for beach posts).

- Eliminate/reduce the emphasis on a traffic cop as a means of revenue

- Address corruption issues and associated penalties; to include loosing any retirement a Thai police officer maybe eligible to.

• Like 1

Um perhaps the proper training and salary might work better than forcing people into the police force. Just saying.....

Throwing money at a problem isn't the right answer.

Thailand should invite an international body of "law enforcement" professionals to conduct a limited scope review with recommended fixes.

The following are a few idea's:

- Institute regulations for Thai Police reform; provides the legal authority for revisions. No grandfather clauses which keeps a structure for senior police officers.

- Analyze what the total workforce currently is, where are they located compared with the communities needs.

- Recommend compensation reform to include junior level entry training program and a pay for performance award system.

- In addition to base pay, include a locality pay adjustment (compensates high-risk details along with reduces salaries for beach posts).

- Eliminate/reduce the emphasis on a traffic cop as a means of revenue

- Address corruption issues and associated penalties; to include loosing any retirement a Thai police officer maybe eligible to.

I couldn't agree with you more Icp! I was going to post on this thread, multi-quoting the number of TV members that feel that giving them more money will somehow magically end the corruption! You've got to be joking! Then you won't have crooked cops you'll have well paid crooked cops!

Icp's final sentence hits the nail on the head! Prosecute any Officer who is guilty of graft/corruption/bribes to the full extent of the law! And make the penalties stiff! These are the individuals who are suppose to be upholding the law and setting examples for the other citizens of this country.

The only way to get rid of the corruption is to have harsh laws to deter them from it and have those laws strictly enforced. Ironically enough the trouble is going to be finding a number of individuals on the RTP that will try to enforce the law! (to do their job-ironic huh?)

People who come to Thailand are often confused. They see a Thai " policeman" in a uniform, and think he is like the police back in their home country. Who are in essence are tasked with stopping crime. The " police" in Thailand are much closer to tax collectors with a gun and who have extremely broad powers. The last thing in the world Thailand needs is more of these tax collectors.

Wait a minute. Maybe I am missing something here. If there are more tax collectors, that means more money can be stolen from the citizens, and sent up the ladder to police generals so they can buy another Ferrari....Ok now I understand why they want more " police"....

I somewhat agree with you here. I personally think that anyone with half a brain would have thought this isn't the solution to the problem.

I also feel that they have devised this implementation for the purpose of gaining for themselves. This has happened through every political party. By some degree this country has become somewhat "everyone for themself"