Linux And Connection (internet And Network) Problems

sunstate

It is my opinion that if you are after a stable Internet connection for use with Linux (Or Windows for that matter) make sure that the least you end up is a Modem (Cable or ADSL) that supports an Ethernet connection.

Most of the USB modems emulate an Ethernet connection. To get rid of one of the major wild cards when trying to implement a Linux solution do not use a USB modem. Thats not to say that you cannot use one! But be prepared for heartache.

If you are going to use any sort of network (Wireless or wired) then make sure you use a router. If you purchase a router and have any problems make sure that you know the configuration address (This will be something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever) also the User Name and Password so that you can get to the setup system (Usually Browser Based). Most of the Modem Routers will have a connection wizard that will solve most headaches.

I disagree... I think that when one sets up a network (preferably a wifi network), that they remain totally oblivious to what they are setting up. They should not have to concern themselves with anything, especially passwords and user-ids.

Is your blood pumpin' yet? Good. My point was to state that the OP probably deserves an award for the silliest post this year.

Duh! I think that most folks who venture into setting up a local network do tend to read the manuals that come with their router, and if they are stupid enough not too, then why bother with trying to educate them. I love these folks, especially when they setup wifi networks.

Access to the internet should be free!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question but what exactly is a 'router' and how does it differ from a 'modem'? I use an ADSL modem to connect to the internet via the USB port but to connect a Linux box I believe I need a router which will connect to the ethernet port.

Does a router connect a single computer of can it handle multiple machines?

What is a router or in this case we have speak about an ADSL router which is not the same, it would be better if refer to an “ADSL router” as a two-in-one device (modem and router), if the ADSL router has more Ethernet ports it becomes a 3-in-one (modem, router and switch), then we have a 4-in-one (modem, router, Wi-Fi Access point and switch)... I hope it is clear. We can go on and on. There are ADSL routers with printer servers, Network storage Server I think I can go as high as a 10-in-one.

The question what is a router, it is a relatively sophisticated piece of network hardware, the router joins networks together. Routers are often used in homes and businesses as well as on the Internet. Say at home you use a network with IP addresses in the 192.168.X.XXX range, you connect to the True network which has a IP in the 58.9.56.X range. Officially it would be impossible to connect to the other network without an router.

Even people who using a USB ADSL modem have a Ethernet card and Ethernet router function emulated in the memory of there computer. Which is also why Ethernet ADSL modem/router are faster then most USB modems. With an USB modem the computer provides all the computer power, and memory.

Therefore USB ADSL modems have specifications for the computer to work correct, connect an USB modem to a old Pentium 233MMX Computer (because you only use it to surf the Internet) and you will get network connection problems, as most today USB modems require at least a Pentium II 300Mhz or equal. Connecting a Pentium 233MMX or even less powerful to a Ethernet ADSL router will give no problems at all.

About buying a ADSL-router I will say that for the Fastest connection to the Internet you probably want a Ethernet ADLS router. Okay some ADSL PCI cards are faster, but require more know-how to get to the faster part.

Not buy a ADSL-Ethernet-Router from True ADSL or any shop with relations to them, the True ADSL-Ethernet-routers have limited functions, or are blocked by passwords which they not share. All ADSL-Ethernet-Routers from True are limited to be used as ADSL-Ethernet-Modems.