PM faces anti-coup gesture in his first Isaan visit

webfact

Best way to counter the three finger salute by the people that have no understanding of all the principles of democracy is to do the same salute yourself.

Each finger represents 1/ Reform 2/ Reconciliation 3/ Return to democracy. The most popular PM in the last decade would be wise to do this salute at every speech.

Well done on the students expressing their views even though it is a minority view though. (unless some think only 8 people live in Khon Kaen and 5 makes a majority!!) Even more telling was they did not fear the Junta. Why would they? Only the narrative of the doom and gloomers try to feed that to the gullible. As predicted the students were released and will fight the case in court. Well done. Nothing like North Korea or the Thai regimes previously who just made their opponents "disappear"

Prayut's actions show he is the voice of the majority as well and that he cares for all the Thai citizens (not just the people in and below Bangkok) by visiting Isaan to inspect the drought handling measures in place. One can be assured his nugget of information and input will not simply be "be more efficient with water", but then he never went to Kentucky State University.

Well done Prayut and don't fear the 7%ers. The other 93% did not appreciate having democracy ripped from them 2 seconds after the 2011 election and the protests in Khon Kaen only highlight further that the majority are on your side. (unless some will disregard that majority by making excuses because it does not suit their agenda and narrative)

So, so, so predictable..

"Prayut's actions show he is the voice of the majority as well and that he cares for all the Thai citizens.."

However he clearly doesn't trust them with an election.

Please tell us the source of your 7% vs 93% number, I dare you. I know what it is, I want you to show what kind of poster you are by referencing the numbers.

It's not the people that he doesn't trust with an election. It's the politicians. It's a bit hard for him to put in the reforms that he wants if he's not in power, and he wouldn't be in power if there was an election because he wouldn't be standing in it.

BTW ... you should read more news: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769564-prayuts-approval-rating-rises-to-933-per-cent/

"Be Informed, not just Opinionated".

As I said in the post, I know what the source was. I have already read and sarcastically commented on that post.

Have you read this http://asiancorrespondent.com/126917/why-are-some-opinion-poll-results-so-positive-of-the-thai-junta/? If not, perhaps you should read more. I love the part about TRICHA's website being set up one week before the coup, and the domain registered in the name of a man who lists his employer as the Royal Thai Army.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The hunger games or dumb and dumber for pulling a stunt like this? The PM is trying to bring Thais together peacefully to form a government without violence. Why some think this is an attack on freedom is ignorant to the fact that if the army hadn't stepped in to control the situation of years of political unrest then we could now be in a much worst situation, civil war!

In 2010 the army stepped in to control a situation with protesters calling for an election by staging a bloody street-clearing crackdown. In 2014 the army stepped in to control a situation with protesters obstructing elections by staging a coup. That says a lot, doesn't it?

All the army had to do to restore peace to Bangkok and allow elections in July is make it clear that it was ready to stage another 2010 style crackdown, Suthep and the protesters would have dispersed before the end of the day. But of course this would have been followed by an election, and the army and many others didn't want an election.

The way I remember it, the government has to request the army to do policing. They won't just come out on their own accord (except to stage a coup of course). The Abhisit government requested the military's help. Yingluck's government didn't.

Ok, then all the army had to do was state that they were ready to stage another 2010 style crackdown at the government's request. Suthep clearly wanted a coup, and the PTP government was clearly concerned that the military would use any pretext to stage a coup. That didn't prevent the military from stating that it would defend the elected government and wanted elections.

Every alternative to the coup should have been exhausted, the coup should have been the last resort. Clearly it wasn't.

All Yingluck needed to do was ask. What was her excuse?

Whybother, do you seriously take that poll at face value?

The 7% is clearly aimed at the hardcore UDD so where do the anti junta groups down in the South of the country fit into this?

7% of 65 million people is still 4.5 million people which is way more than what kick started the anti corruption protests last year and way more than any single protest march during the 8 months of protests.

If it took less than 2% of the population to bring about a coup, with the protests and violence no wonder Prayuth wants to keep ML as 7% hardcore reds is treble the Royal Thai Armed Forces, throw in another 3-8% of Anti Junta Muslims in the South and you can see exactly why ML will not be lifted any time soon.

He might well be popular but is be more inclined to believe it's about 65-70% which isnt too shabby either.

Don't forget that even if you win an ejection with 51% you still have 49% that wants to see you eaten by zombies!!! ?

"do you seriously take that poll at face value?"

No. Just pointing out where the numbers came from. I would have thought that Bruce had seen them mentioned a number of times, but it seems he doesn't actually read much. ...

edit: I generally agree with your numbers. Most people are accepting of what's happening. I expect that would change if things were delayed too much next year.

"I would have thought that Bruce had seen them mentioned a number of times, but it seems he doesn't actually read much. ..."

Read my above reply, or my original post in which I stated that I knew where the numbers came from. It seems you don't read posts before replying to them. That seems like a display of foolish arrogance to me.

In 2010 the army stepped in to control a situation with protesters calling for an election by staging a bloody street-clearing crackdown. In 2014 the army stepped in to control a situation with protesters obstructing elections by staging a coup. That says a lot, doesn't it?

All the army had to do to restore peace to Bangkok and allow elections in July is make it clear that it was ready to stage another 2010 style crackdown, Suthep and the protesters would have dispersed before the end of the day. But of course this would have been followed by an election, and the army and many others didn't want an election.

The way I remember it, the government has to request the army to do policing. They won't just come out on their own accord (except to stage a coup of course). The Abhisit government requested the military's help. Yingluck's government didn't.

Ok, then all the army had to do was state that they were ready to stage another 2010 style crackdown at the government's request. Suthep clearly wanted a coup, and the PTP government was clearly concerned that the military would use any pretext to stage a coup. That didn't prevent the military from stating that it would defend the elected government and wanted elections.

Every alternative to the coup should have been exhausted, the coup should have been the last resort. Clearly it wasn't.

Once again, read my posts before replying. As I stated above, she was concerned, with good reason, that the military would use any pretext to stage a coup.

I thought martial law meant no gatherings of more than 5? There were 5 of them.

What Prayuth really means by martial law is that not a single person may criticise me or challenge me. If you do, you'll be locked up! facepalm.gifbah.gif

If you read the rules that they endorsed under this martial law then you can see that protesting against the junta is forbidden under this martial law...

Try this stunt in any other country, for example have 5 protesters run up to the stage where Barack Obama is holding a speech and count how many of them are shot by secret service as potential threats.

"The five students ran to the stage, took their shirts off to reveal black T-shirts with white lettering that read "No to the coup" in Thai when the young men stood side by side.

The students also held up their arms in a three-finger salute - a symbolic anti-coup gesture - at the PM."

The students ran to the stage. The OP does not say how close they got to the stage. There is no indication they presented any kind of a threat. This kind of protest is routinely accepted in the US and other countries with elected governments and without martial law.

They got within about 3 metres of the PM with nobody around them. If they had got that close to a PM of any other country (without martial law), they'd have a dozen people on top of them.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777670-khon-kaen-students-protest-at-coup-during-pms-speech/

Actually in many countries the leaders will walk around and shake hands with citizens, but these are countries without marital law and military governments.

She didn't have an excuse, she was concerned there would be a bloodbath again - not that abhisit minded at the time. I think this sums up the situation very well;

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said there was no plan to give the army a leading role under the decree, which will come into force from Wednesday.

"That's why we're focusing on the police force, to avoid violence like in 2010," she told reporters. "The authorities will start with negotiations."

It was not immediately clear how the government would implement the emergency decree, which enables authorities to impose a curfew, ban public gatherings of more than five people, detain suspects for 30 days without charge and censor media.

"We will not use force. We have no policy to disperse them (the protesters) and we haven't announced a curfew yet," said Labour Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, who will oversee its implementation.

The military, traditionally a staunch supporter of the anti-Thaksin establishment, has shown signs of reluctance to play a significant role in handling the current protests, saying it wants to remain neutral.

But the army chief has also refused to rule out another coup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/10586935/Protest-hit-Thailand-declares-state-of-emergency.html

I agree with you Heybruce this country is going through a transitional phase so of course the PM isn't shaking hands and kissing babies heads, there are some who disagree and are a security threat. When the color groups are told they can't have any power then angry people may threaten the peace. So until reforms have been implemented by the Thai people we have to be weary of the minority hardliners stirring up trouble when the PM is trying to broker a peace in this land of ours.

Best way to counter the three finger salute by the people that have no understanding of all the principles of democracy is to do the same salute yourself.

Each finger represents 1/ Reform 2/ Reconciliation 3/ Return to democracy. The most popular PM in the last decade would be wise to do this salute at every speech.

Well done on the students expressing their views even though it is a minority view though. (unless some think only 8 people live in Khon Kaen and 5 makes a majority!!) Even more telling was they did not fear the Junta. Why would they? Only the narrative of the doom and gloomers try to feed that to the gullible. As predicted the students were released and will fight the case in court. Well done. Nothing like North Korea or the Thai regimes previously who just made their opponents "disappear"

Prayut's actions show he is the voice of the majority as well and that he cares for all the Thai citizens (not just the people in and below Bangkok) by visiting Isaan to inspect the drought handling measures in place. One can be assured his nugget of information and input will not simply be "be more efficient with water", but then he never went to Kentucky State University.

Well done Prayut and don't fear the 7%ers. The other 93% did not appreciate having democracy ripped from them 2 seconds after the 2011 election and the protests in Khon Kaen only highlight further that the majority are on your side. (unless some will disregard that majority by making excuses because it does not suit their agenda and narrative)

So, so, so predictable..

"Prayut's actions show he is the voice of the majority as well and that he cares for all the Thai citizens.."

However he clearly doesn't trust them with an election.

Please tell us the source of your 7% vs 93% number, I dare you. I know what it is, I want you to show what kind of poster you are by referencing the numbers.

It's not the people that he doesn't trust with an election. It's the politicians. It's a bit hard for him to put in the reforms that he wants if he's not in power, and he wouldn't be in power if there was an election because he wouldn't be standing in it.

BTW ... you should read more news: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/769564-prayuts-approval-rating-rises-to-933-per-cent/

As I said in the post, I know what the source was. I have already read and sarcastically commented on that post.

Have you read this http://asiancorrespondent.com/126917/why-are-some-opinion-poll-results-so-positive-of-the-thai-junta/? If not, perhaps you should read more. I love the part about TRICHA's website being set up one week before the coup, and the domain registered in the name of a man who lists his employer as the Royal Thai Army.

I haven't read it but I've read posts about who they are. From fabbie I think.

She didn't have an excuse, she was concerned there would be a bloodbath again - not that abhisit minded at the time. I think this sums up the situation very well;

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said there was no plan to give the army a leading role under the decree, which will come into force from Wednesday.

"That's why we're focusing on the police force, to avoid violence like in 2010," she told reporters. "The authorities will start with negotiations."

It was not immediately clear how the government would implement the emergency decree, which enables authorities to impose a curfew, ban public gatherings of more than five people, detain suspects for 30 days without charge and censor media.

"We will not use force. We have no policy to disperse them (the protesters) and we haven't announced a curfew yet," said Labour Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, who will oversee its implementation.

The military, traditionally a staunch supporter of the anti-Thaksin establishment, has shown signs of reluctance to play a significant role in handling the current protests, saying it wants to remain neutral.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/10586935/Protest-hit-Thailand-declares-state-of-emergency.html

So you can't blame the army when she didn't want their help anyway.

Don't play dumb. As we all know the army & Dems/PRDC were in cahoots from Day 1 after the 2011 election

• Like 1

I thought martial law meant no gatherings of more than 5? There were 5 of them.

What Prayuth really means by martial law is that not a single person may criticise me or challenge me. If you do, you'll be locked up! facepalm.gifbah.gif

If you read the rules that they endorsed under this martial law then you can see that protesting against the junta is forbidden under this martial law...

Try this stunt in any other country, for example have 5 protesters run up to the stage where Barack Obama is holding a speech and count how many of them are shot by secret service as potential threats.

"The five students ran to the stage, took their shirts off to reveal black T-shirts with white lettering that read "No to the coup" in Thai when the young men stood side by side.

The students also held up their arms in a three-finger salute - a symbolic anti-coup gesture - at the PM."

The students ran to the stage. The OP does not say how close they got to the stage. There is no indication they presented any kind of a threat. This kind of protest is routinely accepted in the US and other countries with elected governments and without martial law.

They got within about 3 metres of the PM with nobody around them. If they had got that close to a PM of any other country (without martial law), they'd have a dozen people on top of them.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777670-khon-kaen-students-protest-at-coup-during-pms-speech/

Actually in many countries the leaders will walk around and shake hands with citizens, but these are countries without marital law and military governments.

In those countries they still wouldn't let protesters approach the PM unfettered.

I agree with you Heybruce this country is going through a transitional phase so of course the PM isn't shaking hands and kissing babies heads, there are some who disagree and are a security threat. When the color groups are told they can't have any power then angry people may threaten the peace. So until reforms have been implemented by the Thai people we have to be weary of the minority hardliners stirring up trouble when the PM is trying to broker a peace in this land of ours.

Another person who refers to my posts without reading them.

"...until reforms have been implemented by the Thai people..."clap2.gif

But still funny!

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

We can't blame the army for staging a coup?

Funny how other Thai politicians, including the likes of Yingluck could mingle with crowds. However, anyone approaching Prayuth and taking off their jackets to reveal a T-shirt (somehow the same as reaching for a gun?????) could justify murder as it could be an 'assasination attempt'. I'm no Yingluck fan. I don't like any of the 'Shins'. But, when will Prayuth try this...If not, why not? I think we know why.

118053472-yingluck-shinawatra-sister-of-

The worst thing about this website is that I get brought down to the level of others. Too many on here come into a battle of wits unarmed. I suggest blocking. Not those with different views, but those with insane views that cannot see reason (ie that coups lose when it comes to coup vs democracy in worldwide or even Thai history and....oh...I give uprolleyes.gif )

Edited by Fatty123

We can't blame the army for staging a coup?

I didn't say that.

Funny how other Thai politicians, including the likes of Yingluck could mingle with crowds. However, anyone approaching Prayuth and taking off their jackets to reveal a T-shirt (somehow the same as reaching for a gun?????) could justify murder as it could be an 'assasination attempt'. I'm no Yingluck fan. I don't like any of the 'Shins'. But, when will Prayuth try this...If not, why not? I think we know why.

118053472-yingluck-shinawatra-sister-of-

The worst thing about this website is that I get brought down to the level of others. Too many on here come into a battle of wits unarmed. I suggest blocking. Not those with different views, but those with insane views that cannot see reason (ie that coups lose when it comes to coup vs democracy in worldwide or even Thai history and....oh...I give uprolleyes.gif )

In most places, if protesters approached a stage with an important politician speaking, they wouldn't get the chance to take off their shirts. They'd be getting beaten up by security. That applies to anyone approaching a politician "looking the wrong way" while they're out pressing the flesh too.

khaosod, quoted the 'PM' as stating:

"I am not an enemy of anyone, but I'd like to ask all of you not to obstruct my works. I am willing to listen to all opinions. The students may send me what they have in mind," Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, who also serves as Prime Minister, said at the press conference today.

However, he quickly added, "But don't ask me for democracy. Don't ask me for an election. I cannot give you that."

So that should leave few options on what to ask for.

How 'bout reinstating the 1997 constitution?

Christmas is coming, after all.