I wrote this free book after learning meditation in Thailand

shoppeacenquiet

How long do you guys meditate for daily? I know the transcendental meditation recommends morning and night 20 mins, I tried doing that for a while but then started getting lazy with it, I find it easier to stick with one 20 min a day.. definitely had more of an impact doing the twice a day though, I need to get more disciplined with it again

Hi Wise monkey.

Regards time spent mediating:

The practice of awareness of the breath like in the book, it's not so much about spending hours every day in sitting practice. Rather having awareness of the breath through out the day while doing everything else.

Currently I go in waves from about 80-95% waking time (percent of the day spent not asleep/ of time awake) and then have the occasional day maybe once a week when the awareness drops to around 40%. Normally if I spent too much time talking or reading, which for me I sometimes get lost in the subject some times and forget the breath, but then pick it back up after. Still practicing obviously. The master monk would be at 99.99 or 100% awareness.

When maintaining higher %s of awareness is when fuller benefits become evident. Over 50% and the consciousness/ awareness really starts expanding, such as noticing more thing, details in the world, others and ones own thought process / mind etc.

Sitting and walking practice: waves too really - some days nothing at all but others from hour to several hours. The increase in focused time like this corresponds to the opening of different states of awareness too, although they will stay on after the specific time if making it a regular, but the increased time will increase / heighten the awareness somewhat proportionally.

20 minutes here daily is good. More the better though. If you like to see the full potential then trying to maintain awareness of the breath through out the day is a great method and doesn't get in the way of of commitments in what we must do in our life; rather it's just practicing to change the way we are aware while we are doing all things. All the things we must do should become easier with time by applying the mindfulness practice also. Such as more focused, less stressed, cool and calm etc.

:)

• Like 1

A good trick to remember and set the tone for awareness all day is to try and catch the fist breath of the day.

Is it an in or and out breath?

Might seem impossible at first but with practice you will find first few days the number of breaths before remember will decrease. Then one day you will catch the first breath and feel amazing!

Maybe only a few days or couple weeks of trying. Not so difficult actually. Many things we making difficult by our own mind thinking "no" or "impossible" but actually it's not so hard if just try with an open mind; not hard mind but soft/ relaxed. Same applies to the % of the day to keeping awareness of the breath cycle. It's not so hard at all; become second nature after not very long if just apply our mind to it and practice with applied effort at the start. Just effort to be conscious, not effort as in use power.

After you catching first breath of the day and can do it and increase awareness through the day you might find you even become aware of your breath while in sleep / but it becomes more like a conscious visionary state at the point between sleep and waking up. In this time can amazing and useful experience. Any time is / could be amazing experience also- when high percents and practicing a lot, this is the "insight" stage where the universe begging to open up/ we to it/ cutting the barriers between what is really one.

A few days in the meditation centre helps set the tone for continue practice of all day awareness after leaving too.

The temple time should be about 6 to 10 hours of mediation daily. And maintaining the awareness all the inbetween times too.

That 6 to 10 hours would be alternating between walking and sitting practice.

Piyabadok routine is wake up at 2 am, chanting from 2:30 till 4 am. Then practice. Eat about 8 am, practice. Eat about 11am , practice until 6pm when another 2 hour chanting. Then practice until want to sleep. About 8 or 9 pm.

Repeate.

Sometimes might have a task to stay up all night and practice while keeping candles alight.

This type of routine is not so easy for the beginner. Very well worth the effort though. Like a short cut or boost to the next levels. But I worried many people don't go or start because it looks too daunting or difficult. Sleeping on the floor, cold showers and all.

This is one reason why I decide to offer the free training in city so any one interested can begin practice themselves. Go to the temple when/ if they are feeling ready. With a bit of self practice the mild but beneficial effects should become apparent , like less stress, more relaxed, clear head and such, and then maybe they want to take it further. But at least this level is still very much better than nothing.

Better to start some where than no where.

Great stuff Marcus, I dont have facebook but like the idea of keeping a mindful awareness as much as possible.

One interesting thought that comes up in meditation that helps me into that mindstate is the idea of death, may seem strange as its generally seen as a negative subject, death is really ignored in our culture, people distract themselves, I think it does a disservice in a way because its a reality that is going to happen to all of us we are all falling off this ride at some point, it makes this time we have here even more special to me when you accept this and are keenly aware and dont distract yourself, the time with others is more vivid and special, food tastes better, even breathing in and out is a pleasure, this whole thing is just amazing when you really put yourself into that state of awareness.

I agree with all of this.

I read one book by a Thai monk; I forget which though; the name of the book is "staring death in the eye" , I picked it up in DK book centre near tapae gate. Basically says what your saying wise monkey. Keeping our own mortality in mind helps. Not waste time stuck on negative emotions and such.

• Like 1

Hi wise monkey.

You are absolutely right. Awareness / mindfulness of death is very important and useful. Ajarn is reminding people of this often. I left it out of the book, as I left many deeper levels and details because I didn't want to overload or turn people off as this book was really a light intro to the key ideas I thought most important to taking control of the present moment and alleviating their own suffering through the practice. I almost didn't include the chapters on the "non self" concept, cycles and other plains of existence but went for it in the end because they were big questions I struggled with previously, however it was really an exercise in saying what I considered just enough to aid people in to self investigation/ realization; rather than go deep in to details and examples and possibly have lost people on the way.

But maybe it would make a good addition. I will think about it thanks. Maybe better as another / separate little book going a little deeper in to karma, merit, energy and how to die a good death/ effect the post death future by the present life choices. What do think? I've been leaning to the latter option.

But back to point; Awareness and contemplation of death; for me as well as being grateful for life and heightening the present moment, it also focuses the point that life is fragile, not to be afraid but to be ready by maintaining a clear and healthy state of mind, any moment death could come and if in a bad state of mind it can affect/ direct the flow to the post death areas. Also; if death could come tomorrow then best not to waste time today! Focus on self development today, in the present moment - right now; not waiting for the temple or retreat time booked next month or next year, not the sitting practice this evening - right now, present moment, breathing with a clear and happy mind.

• Like 1

Does meditation mean also taking drugs?

I'd maybe like to try meditation but I'm not into any drugs.

Hi

What I am talking about is not to do with drugs at all.

It is literally Only observing the breath cycle.

You can read the attached book or I can email to you if you PM me were to send it.

In fact it helps progress to higher states, and will often come quite naturally later in the journey, if one is to quit all intoxicants; to purify mind, body and our deeds, physical and verbal actions etc. (purify meaning non harmful. Sex with your partner is still fine; no need to give up absolutely everything ;)

No need to give up booze at the start. Just take a time experiment and see where it leads. But drinking less certainly has positive effects in many ways. Up to each individual how fast or slow they take things of course, and by how they are feeling. The is no preacher saying must be this or that, it's all personal choice and personal karmic effects; and as we see through to future from an increased awareness people will determine what they wish to do for their own life future effects by their own acquired and developed wisdom in choice making.

Better to start somewhere than nowhere.

If some one ordered me to stop drinking a few years ago I'd have told them to bugger off ; but I slowly came to where I am now through my own choices for how I found what was really in my own best interests both in the present moment and long term rather than being a slave to the sensory desires/ primal urges. As I found the free and more fulfilling happiness from with in and in the simple things, family, nature and just being alive and such like this.

Not wanting to get all soppy haha but the difference in today and looking back is really immense. I certainly don't look down on those in the sensory pleasure world, because I lived in it fully and loved it at time, but now I feel even better and so I thought I should try talk about it a bit so as to share the possible potential to another peoples too.

Like if I found a super tasty curry house or new tipple in the old days I would tell my friend about it, maybe right a review online. Not trying to be all preachy and religious about; rather share the info for people try it out of they so wish.

• Like 2