Thai Army chief says majority supports govt; student critics are 'same old faces'

webfact

Army chief says majority supports govt; student critics are "same old faces"
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Army Chief and Deputy Defence Minister General Udomdej Sitabutr said more people support the government of General Prayut Chan-o-cha and the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) than those who oppose it.

Udomdej made the remark after university students from Khon Kaen, Thammasat universities and yesterday at Chiang Mai University made symbolic anti-coup gestures to denounce the military junta.

The Army chief cited various polls, saying they invariably indicate that the government and the NCPO still enjoys an approval rating of between 80 to 90 per cent. On the other hand, students who opposed the NCPO and government in recent days were the "same old faces".

He said "proper understanding" was needed among university student critics and both the military and police would try to deal with them respectfully and with consideration of various rights, but there had to be certain limits.

"I ask people who understand and have relatives [who oppose the NCPO and the government] to take care and warn them so that the country can move forward in accordance with the steps laid down by the government and bring about happiness.

"In the long run, we will hold a proper election that is perfect, as expected by most people and the government," he said.

Udomdej urged students who oppose the junta and the government to express themselves properly, adding that officers wished not to resort to the use of stronger measures in dealing with them "as we are already civilised".

In a related development, National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general Anusit Kunakorn revealed yesterday that Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan had instructed security agencies to keep a close eye on various groups, including those in the provinces.

Thienchay Kiranandana, chairman of the National Reform Council (NRC), said the NRC was ready to listen to the views of university students in the middle of next month. Thienchay insisted that anti-coup student activities would not affect the reform process.

The move came after Prime Minister Prayut ordered both the NRC and King Prajadhipok's Institute (KPI) to open a forum to listen to students who think differently to the government and were coming out to oppose it.

He said the NRC was now trying to contact people in order to organise the forum. Thienchay refused to speculate on whether such a forum could end the conflict or not - but promised to do his best.

The NRC chairman added that holding such an event would not violate martial law as it would not constitute a political gathering.

Prayut said yesterday he was serious about opening up space for students who oppose the government to air their views and urged the students to participate. He said he had charitable feelings for the five Khon Kaen University students who staged a protest against him last week, so they were set free. However, he said people must respect the rules.

Prayut also said that the shifting of senior police from Khon Kaen province was not a "transfer" but an order to have them relocated to help perform their duties elsewhere.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Army-chief-says-majority-supports-govt;-student-cr-30248551.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-26

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the good general won't object to proper election - one person one vote and maybe overseen by the UN - in the next few months. After all, what has he got to worry about.

The fact they have to say this nonsense over and over puts the lie to the claims.

• Like 1

Why can't he just take the criticism on board?

Why does he have to be so petty and silly when faced with criticism, too many years getting his arse licked in the army?

Because "dialog" is not the objective!

We all know the rulers are afraid of the dangerous 3-finger salute.

But my dear generals, the one-finger salute you are getting from 90% of the people are not support!!whistling.gif

What a sensible post to say only 10% support the government--- Propaganda at it's best how do you come up with this, Asking the clan members on TVF ??

Between 80-90 % he says ? But how can this be when they has a poll that said 93% support?

Someone telling porkie pies then? ?

Just the faintest hint of propaganda from a clan member onTVF The pm support may not be over 90% but this members 10% shows he is the one more likely to be telling porky pies.

"In the long run, we will hold a proper election that is perfect, as expected by most people and the government," he said.

With clearly the expression on LONG.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/778502-new-constitution-draft-to-be-ready-next-april/?p=8716196

Govt to need ten months to say whether charter referendum will be held

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngarm said Monday that the government would have to wait at least ten months to tell whether a referendum on the new draft charter would be held.

By that time, the charter drafting would have been completed at least by half, he explained.

Do we need a clearer indication that 2017 will be the earliest that elections even can be thought about?

Edited by Anthony5

Propaganda works both ways that's what it's designed to do Ginjag.

Does it really matter what % of the population supports him as of right now he's all they have and it will be like this for the forseeable future, succeed isn't measure in popularity it's measured in results ?

The most popular girls in school also tended to be the biggest a bitches going, in believing their own hype ?

I wonder what "The student and people for reform of Thailand" think about this? They were after all protesting for 6 months to de-seat the government and bring democracy back to Thailand. They were the ones denounced by the red apologists as "kids that have no idea" or "students that did not have proper understanding". My, my so all this shows is that university students are not moulded from the same cast on a production line thus all think the same. Sounds like students are a normal cross section of people then. Some wanted the coup and some didn't as can be shown now. I certainly don't denounce these students, but they should respect the majority's wishes and project there concerns into constructive means by offering reform advice to the appropriate bodies. It is Thailand they want to move forward.

Of course those that compare the Junta to North Korea. Well, illogical comparisons are their forte and come in slightly behind blatant lies. Why? That is all they have left. Facts paint a rosy picture for the future and they cannot bare to admit it.

Junta respect stability, reform and a return to democracy. North Korea don't, but like all the arguments that are used against the PTP are eventually used by their supporters whether they make sense or not.

I wonder what the North Koreans would have done with those protestors had they stood up against Kim Jong -un? I suspect they would have finished up like the PTP critic Akeyuth…..Oh yes, the "driver" did it!!!

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

I wonder what "The student and people for reform of Thailand" think about this? They were after all protesting for 6 months to de-seat the government and bring democracy back to Thailand. They were the ones denounced by the red apologists as "kids that have no idea" or "students that did not have proper understanding". My, my so all this shows is that university students are not moulded from the same cast on a production line thus all think the same. Sounds like students are a normal cross section of people then. Some wanted the coup and some didn't as can be shown now. I certainly don't denounce these students, but they should respect the majority's wishes and project there concerns into constructive means by offering reform advice to the appropriate bodies. It is Thailand they want to move forward.

Of course those that compare the Junta to North Korea. Well, illogical comparisons are their forte and come in slightly behind blatant lies. Why? That is all they have left. Facts paint a rosy picture for the future and they cannot bare to admit it.

Junta respect stability, reform and a return to democracy. North Korea don't, but like all the arguments that are used against the PTP are eventually used by their supporters whether they make sense or not.

I wonder what the North Koreans would have done with those protestors had they stood up against Kim Jong -un? I suspect he would have finished up like Akeyuth…..

You were correct in the first line of your post, all the following was just drivel.

They were after all protesting for 6 months to de-seat the government and bring democracy back to Thailand.

• Like 2

Majority ... you know ... 48%.

Did you bitch about majorities all the time back in your old country, or did you understand the rules along with the majority of sensible voters, that the political party that gets more votes than any other political party in an election gets the first chance to form a government?...................................coffee1.gif

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

I wonder what the North Koreans would have done with those protestors had they stood up against Kim Jong -un? I suspect he would have finished up like Akeyuth…..

You were correct in the first line of your post, all the following was just drivel.

They were after all protesting for 6 months to de-seat the government and bring democracy back to Thailand.

Yet you cannot rebut it. All you offer is condensation.

Sounds like you share a PTP trait while reinforcing my point.

Violence is the language of the articulate, but in your case it is a simple "all the following was just drivel"

Pretty un-constructive right? Doesn't move the forum forward at all right? No constructive criticism offered right? Well that is the same as the students that are not projecting there concerns into constructive means by offering reform advice to the appropriate bodies

You have inadvertently shown through your comments what I was talking about.

Thank you.

• Like 1