Retirement visa in Penang

UK citizens, I am informed, require a letter from the British Embassy to confirm they are retired.

Clearly, Embassy can confirm age as, of course can your passport but cannot confirm whether you work or not. New idea today. Could add my opinion but shall not

A letter to confirm you are retired is not required to get a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over at the consulate in Penang.

The letter you get is to confirm an income of 65k baht or more.

You can also show 800k baht in a Thai bank or a combination of income and money in the bank to reach the 800k baht.

• Like 1

I picked up my Non O yesterday, the application was based on retirement. There was no need for a letter to confirm I was retired. I had however already applied for my UK Embassy proof of income letter (as I plan to go the pension, not bank deposit, route for my extension in Thailand) and the Penang Consulate is happy to accept a COPY (useful considering each one costs 2,620 Baht!!) of this letter instead of bank statements to prove the financials.

Application form, 2 passport photos, copy passport details page and copy UK Embassy proof of income letter or bank statement(s) (if going the deposit route - and for the Non O the statements can be from a non-Thai bank). Nothing more.

Edited by Pick of Penang