Farang Basic Cooking For Single Men In Condo's

Zendesigner

:D:D

Someone send me this one - enjoy :o

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe I have published before, but after stumbling over it again and chuckling to myself, I thought I should reprint it.

Originally it was given to me by David Levine, an executive chef.

The principal ingredient is freely available in Thailand, and in fact, you would probably be in line for a City Administration grant if you took a couple from the streets any night.

The rabbits are harder to find, but I believe you can get them on special order at most supermarkets.

David did say that if you want to try this item, you must plan well in advance to allow for preparation and cooking. It is not a quick stir-fry in the wok.

Ingredients Serves 3,000

Elephant 1 large

Pepper 1/2 pail

Salt 2 pails

Onions 4 bushels

Water 93 gallons

Flour 6 pails

Rabbits (optional) 2

Cooking Method

Cut elephant into bite sized pieces - preferably put aside around four months for this part.

Cook over a kerosene fire for three months, or until tender.

Now add onions, salt, pepper and flour and cook until done, generally around two days.

If more people arrive than expected then add the rabbits at this final stage (do this only if necessary as most people don’t like hare in their soup) :D

:D  :D

Someone send me this one - enjoy  :o

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe I have published before, but after stumbling over it again and chuckling to myself, I thought I should reprint it.

Originally it was given to me by David Levine, an executive chef.

The principal ingredient is freely available in Thailand, and in fact, you would probably be in line for a City Administration grant if you took a couple from the streets any night.

The rabbits are harder to find, but I believe you can get them on special order at most supermarkets.

David did say that if you want to try this item, you must plan well in advance to allow for preparation and cooking. It is not a quick stir-fry in the wok.

Ingredients Serves 3,000

Elephant 1 large

Pepper 1/2 pail

Salt 2 pails

Onions 4 bushels

Water 93 gallons

Flour 6 pails

Rabbits (optional) 2

Cooking Method

Cut elephant into bite sized pieces - preferably put aside around four months for this part.

Cook over a kerosene fire for three months, or until tender.

Now add onions, salt, pepper and flour and cook until done, generally around two days.

If more people arrive than expected then add the rabbits at this final stage (do this only if necessary as most people don’t like hare in their soup)  :D

We KAN only WINder! :D ?

Zen: it isnt butter. It's like cooking oil in a spray can, but much healthier than butter and oil. Great for stir fries and a grilled cheese sandwich!!!

Uggh... :o Come on Sandy. If you are going consume all the wonderful fat inherent in a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, can't we have a little real butter too?? The real butter flavor is a very important part of the experience. IMHO.

Kapow nua, kai, moo

Ingredients

Meat(as above)

Garlic

Soi sauce(theblackest stuff)

chillies

Noodles or rice

Oyster sauce

Simple and easy.

1) Brown the meat and add garlic thats finely chopped

2)Add some chopped up chillies depending on how spicy you want it.

3) Add Oyster sauce and soi sauce.

4)Taste. then serve on noodles or rice. Simple and easy. Takes about no kore than 30 mins.

zen...what can you say about substituting plain yogurt for cream for most applications? Yogurt is healthier and more widely available in the hinterlands. Yeah, I know that yogurt is not ideal but with heat the difference with cream diminishes

Yogurt is indeed healtier but you'll see that you can only use it in cold dishes. It's actually a great substitute for mayonaisse.

I've always used yoghurt for my Rogan Josh. However, it needs to be added and blended in one tablespoon at a time.

For what it's worth, my recipe for chili which I've been cooking the last 20 years:

2.50 kg minced beef

8 large onions, chopped

2.00 kg chopped tomatoes

1.20 litres beef stock (I use 2 x Oxo cubes)

A dozen or so fresh chilis, chopped

2 or 3 cans kidney beans (optional)

2 tblsp each of cayenne pepper, ground cumin, dried oregano

4 tblsp salt

Fry the onions in oil in a big frying pan till light brown (usually needs to be done in stages). Put the fried onions with the stock into a very large lidded cooking pot. Brown the mince, in stages, in the same pan, adding a little oil as required. Put the mince in the pot. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add the chopped chilis. Bring to the boil.

Wash and drain the kidney beans (if used) and add them to the pot.

Mix it all up and add the spices and salt. Mix again and cover and simmer until the meat is cooked and tender. This should take about 1.5 hours with decent beef, but probably longer here.

It makes enough to feed a Thai army but it is easily frozen in individual containers for microwaving at a later date.

I usually eat it with french bread or rice but whatever.

For what it's worth, my recipe for chili which I've been cooking the last 20 years:

2.50 kg minced beef

8 large onions, chopped

2.00 kg chopped tomatoes

1.20 litres beef stock (I use 2 x Oxo cubes)

A dozen or so fresh chilis, chopped

2 or 3 cans kidney beans (optional)

2 tblsp each of cayenne pepper, ground cumin, dried oregano

4 tblsp salt

Fry the onions in oil in a big frying pan till light brown (usually needs to be done in stages). Put the fried onions with the stock into a very large lidded cooking pot. Brown the mince, in stages, in the same pan, adding a little oil as required. Put the mince in the pot. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add the chopped chilis. Bring to the boil.

Wash and drain the kidney beans (if used) and add them to the pot.

Mix it all up and add the spices and salt. Mix again and cover and simmer until the meat is cooked and tender. This should take about  1.5 hours with decent beef, but probably longer here.

It makes enough to feed a Thai army but it is easily frozen in individual containers for microwaving at a later date.

I usually eat it with french bread or rice but whatever.

What type of chilies do you use?

I used to use jalepenos in UK, but here I use the standard Thai chilis (not the ratsh1t ones). If I can get jalepenos here, I put half and half in. I think the jalepenos give a different overall taste but the Thai chilis certainly spice it up a bit.

:o

I just finished a meal of your chili. It was very tasty. Put a little grated cheddar cheese on top, some Lotus French bread, and a simple salad. Excellent! I cut your receipe in half, and still have a huge pot of it!

Kapow nua, kai, moo

Ingredients

Meat(as above)

Garlic

chillies

Noodles or rice

Oyster sauce

Simple and easy.

4)Taste. then serve on noodles or rice. Simple and easy. Takes about no kore than 30 mins.

Jock, if this is Kapow I think you've missed the Basil

Kapow nua, kai, moo

Ingredients

Meat(as above)

Garlic

chillies

Noodles or rice

Oyster sauce

Simple and easy.

Jock, if this is Kapow I think you've missed the Basil

hey Jack you are fukcing right. DOH! Stupid me. was pissed when i posted this. So ye. Add the basil in the last minute or so of cooking then serve. Cheers Jack. What a fukcing <deleted> i am!