Anaconda man Paul Rosolie speaks: Why I wanted to be eaten alive

webfact

Paul Rosolie survives being eaten alive by an anaconda

NEW YORK: -- IN his nearly 10 years studying anacondas in the Amazon, researcher and conservationist Paul Rosolie, 27, has faced his share of danger.

The giant reptile is known to grow to up to 30 feet (9.1 metres) in length — and strikes its prey using its teeth and powerful jaws before crushing it with its massive body.

Rosolie has been bitten by one of the snakes and seized by one in a chokehold — suffering a broken rib and a nearly popped collarbone before five people were able to pry it off him.

But none of that compares to what he endured in his first TV special, Eaten Alive, for the Discovery Channel, which documents Rosolie’s attempt to get ingested by a giant green anaconda — all in the name of bringing attention to the rapid destruction of the Amazon and, of course, spiking TV ratings, The New York Post reports.

“I wanted to do something that would absolutely shock people,” says Rosolie, who is tall, dark-haired, bearded and well-spoken when it comes to his passion for the rainforest. “Environmentalists, we love to preach to the choir. What I’m trying to do with this is bring in a bunch of people that wouldn’t necessarily know what’s going on in the Amazon.

“For the type of attention that this is getting and for the type of emergency that’s going on down there — desperate times, desperate measures.”

News of the stunt swiftly went viral: A Google search for “Paul Rosolie Eaten Alive” turns up more than 250,000 results. The project has also spurred much backlash from animal rights activists — Rosolie has even received death threats — but he believes those fears will be quelled once the special airs. (Discovery has said that the snake is alive and healthy.)

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/paul-rosolie-survives-being-eaten-alive-by-an-anaconda/story-e6frfmyi-1227141889821

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-12-02

• 3 weeks later...

Many years ago, when I was very young, I went on an adventure holiday to Peru. One of the highlights was when, one night, the guide invited some of us to join him paddling a raft down the river. The stars twinkled brightly above us. As we shone our torches on the water we caught the glint of alligator eyes as they glided across the river behind us no doubt hoping for a tasty meal should one of us fall in.

Eventually, the guide told us that we would have to turn round as we were approaching a part of the river where anacondas were known to be lurking. There was a danger that one of them would try to capsize the raft to get at us. Ever since, the thought of being crushed and then eaten by a massive anaconda has always sent a shudder through my body. It was always one of my great fears.

Now, however, thanks to a film by Nicki Minoj, the word "anaconda" only makes me smile. Click

to view the film, and then like me, you will shudder no longer! Thank you, Nicki ???

Now, however, thanks to a film by Nicki Minoj, the word "anaconda" only makes me smile. Click

to view the film, and then like me, you will shudder no longer! Thank you, Nicki ???

I find Nicky Minoj to be far more disturbing than any snake I have chanced upon, and I have chanced upon many snakes in my worldly travels over the past 40 years.