Myanmar men to stand trial for British tourist murders on Koh Tao

webfact

I'm right now in the process of writing a letter to the Royal Thai Police that requests that each and every poster in the Koh Tao related threads are personally updated about all forensic examinations that have been performed with the given results, and of course enough evidence to proof that the results are genuine.

I hope all of you can hold on to it a little longer, it shouldn't take a long time before you all receive the forensic reports in your mail box.

You said all the information about phones has been answered I was just asking for clarification which you have been unable to show why the police say they have 2 iPhones belonging to David when apparently he never had 2 iPhones.

You must have missed my comment where I said do your own homework, as it has been clearly announced that David had 2 phones. Did I say 2 Iphones?

the police had 1 iPhone undamaged they showed a picture of that to the media with David's name attached to it.

they also said they they found a damaged iPhone in the bushes belonging to david .

In my calculations that is 2 iPhones

witnesses have also said he had samsung.

so why are the police saying that they 2 iPhones belonging to david ? where is your link stating that they have only 1iphone ?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AFP almost managed to get through a report without having a dig, but not quite.

So now, presumably, the defense lawyers will have to be given a full copy of all the evidence against the two Burmese and will be able to put together a defense based on what is both in, and isn't in, the police files.

As the Burmese Govt and HRW are reported to be cooperating in a defense one would expect experienced competent lawyers who will be questioning everything.

Then there is the yet to be released Scotland Yard report, interesting times ahead.

Yes, the Scotland Yard report. Whatever happened to those trusty detectives who were going to sort everything out? Well, at least they haven't made broad swiping statements of theory at frequent photo ops--that seems a plus to Thai police.

Maybe they also didn't discover anything worth to make swiping statements ?

Might also be safe to assume they didn't see anything further for them to investigate here since they only stayed a short time - Only an assumption but would bet if they thought things were being handled improperly or there was a set-up they would have stuck around longer to monitor and gather more evidence of such a frame up -- if they were able to uncover overwhelming evidence of a set-up in the time they were here then they'd probably would have already made a statement to such effect by now too in order to get two people set-up out of jail and out of harm's way as quickly as possible --- but won't be surprised to be hearing from people soon how the Brit Authorities are part of the conspiracy for political reasons or whatever

So now, presumably, the defense lawyers will have to be given a full copy of all the evidence against the two Burmese and will be able to put together a defense based on what is both in, and isn't in, the police files.

As the Burmese Govt and HRW are reported to be cooperating in a defense one would expect experienced competent lawyers who will be questioning everything.

Then there is the yet to be released Scotland Yard report, interesting times ahead.

Yes, the Scotland Yard report. Whatever happened to those trusty detectives who were going to sort everything out? Well, at least they haven't made broad swiping statements of theory at frequent photo ops--that seems a plus to Thai police.

If you had been reading the posts on this topic you would have seen that this has already been answered.

Once again in brief : Their findings will be presented at the inquest into the deaths in February.

Isn't this David's phone?

You obviously pulled this photo from somewhere -- why not provide the link if it is credible to see what is being described in the picture ... rather than trying to perpetuate another baseless and illogical conspiracy theory about a phone that is based on the police showing a phone to the press early in the investigation and then taking that same phone later and showing it to the press and say they just found it at the suspects home after a witness stated they broke and threw it after being given it by one of the suspects because they couldn't unlock it and was related to the crime.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2014/10/koh-tao-methodical-investigation-or.html

Phone at the beginning on the case. We know this as Chris Ware is pointing at it and he shortly went home. Clearly a IPhone and not pink so definitely Davids. So how is his phone intact here then later found smashed at the back of the suspects homes?

Look forward to your spin!

And do not forget the phone that the police say was confiscated from the B2 when they were arrested

http://www.thaivisa....ects/?p=8491314

Edited by Willy Eckerslike
  • Like 1

Isn't this David's phone?

You obviously pulled this photo from somewhere -- why not provide the link if it is credible to see what is being described in the picture ... rather than trying to perpetuate another baseless and illogical conspiracy theory about a phone that is based on the police showing a phone to the press early in the investigation and then taking that same phone later and showing it to the press and say they just found it at the suspects home after a witness stated they broke and threw it after being given it by one of the suspects because they couldn't unlock it and was related to the crime.

<URL TO DRUMMOND DELETES> (not sure allowed here anymore)

Phone at the beginning on the case. We know this as Chris Ware is pointing at it and he shortly went home. Clearly a IPhone and not pink so definitely Davids. So how is his phone intact here then later found smashed at the back of the suspects homes?

Look forward to your spin!

And do not forget the phone that the police say was confiscated from the B2 when they were arrested

http://www.thaivisa....ects/?p=8491314 <note: your link isn't working>

I would be LMAO if not so sad - The caption in the drummond piece under the photo states

"And it looks like, I say cautiously, en exhibit belong to a foreign male. But I daresay could be Hannah's without the cover"

He has no idea whose phone it is let alone if it is a males, one of the victims, suspects, a second phone of one of the victims or anything else But lets go on and suggest it is David's despite the actual reports of David's phone and photos of it where it is clearly identified being his by police -- It should also be noted this, as with most of his articles, are filled with opinion and his beliefs and bias.

Edited by JohnThailandJohn

I'm right now in the process of writing a letter to the Royal Thai Police that requests that each and every poster in the Koh Tao related threads are personally updated about all forensic examinations that have been performed with the given results, and of course enough evidence to proof that the results are genuine.

I hope all of you can hold on to it a little longer, it shouldn't take a long time before you all receive the forensic reports in your mail box.

You said all the information about phones has been answered I was just asking for clarification which you have been unable to show why the police say they have 2 iPhones belonging to David when apparently he never had 2 iPhones.

You must have missed my comment where I said do your own homework, as it has been clearly announced that David had 2 phones. Did I say 2 Iphones?

the police had 1 iPhone undamaged they showed a picture of that to the media with David's name attached to it.

they also said they they found a damaged iPhone in the bushes belonging to david .

In my calculations that is 2 iPhones

witnesses have also said he had samsung.

so why are the police saying that they 2 iPhones belonging to david ? where is your link stating that they have only 1iphone ?

Stop putting words in my mouth I haven't said. I didn't say they have only 1 iphone, in fact I haven't even mentioned the word iphone.

I said David had 2 P H O N E S, and that the police has clarified which phone they found where, who it belonged to and where the phone in question is at present.

• Like 1

If you had been reading the posts on this topic you would have seen that this has already been answered.

Once again in brief : Their findings will be presented at the inquest into the deaths in February.

Oh my god, you mean that those British detectives, which are the smartest and most honest in the world according to posters in this thread, and which for that reason without doubt must have discovered all the errors and faked forensic results ( again according to those same posters) in the investigation, will keep the information that undoubtedly will save the lives of 2 accused but full innocent Burmese boys unrevealed till February ?

Oh my god, you mean that those British detectives, which are the smartest and most honest in the world according to posters in this thread, and which for that reason without doubt must have discovered all the errors and faked forensic results ( again according to those same posters) in the investigation, will keep the information that undoubtedly will save the lives of 2 accused but full innocent Burmese boys unrevealed till February ?

You're flippant and bias remarks are about as way off as the date for the inquest which is 6th January 2015

Anthony5

the police have shown to 3 iPhones 1 is hannas 1 iPhone they found in the bushes damaged they said was davids 1 iPhone they showed undamaged with davids name next to it .

How many iPhones did David Have ? if he only had 1 why did the police show pictures of 2 iPhones belonging to david which story is correct ?

You're flippant and bias remarks are about as way off as the date for the inquest which is 6th January 2015

You not gone blame me for quoting you brother in arms Robby do you?

You not gone blame me for quoting you brother in arms Robby do you?

You claim to know a lot perhaps you should do a little research before.

Brother in arms? Do you mean somebody wanting justice? I take it you believe justice is being served?

Edited by thailandchilli

A post containing a link to Andrew Drummond's site has been removed. Please understand Thai Visa is not employed as a tool to obtain information for Andrew Drummond nor do we use material from his web site.

Some other inflammatory nonsense posts and replies have been removed.

Andy Hall said yesterday in that above linked article “It’s really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyone’s so scared ...”

So is he implying that there are persons who do in fact have exculpating evidence or is it possible that persons have not come forward with such evidence because there are no persons who have such evidence?

i see a scotish kid has had to go into hiding for posting on facebook that he new who did it,

he was told he was going to die,,

its in the scotish record

This has been extensively debated on here........this Sean character also rebutted this on YouTube and his Soundcloud etc:

He claims he meant: IF he was going to be found killed, he knew who did it (the killing of himself).

Anyway, it doesn't matter, I think it is safe to say the guy ha a pretty good idea who was involved,,,,,

The cut on his arm (he claims from a bike accident) and the blood on his guitar (which he didn't wash off for days) makes him suspicious he knows more.

I think we will just never know,,,... the British police did question him I think......and that is the end of that story!

You will not hear about this in the trial!

• Like 1

Andy Hall said yesterday in that above linked article “It’s really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyone’s so scared ...”

So is he implying that there are persons who do in fact have exculpating evidence or is it possible that persons have not come forward with such evidence because there are no persons who have such evidence?

Why not let anyone who reads the article make their own opinion

The 2 Burmese men on trial for this murder are of course scapegoats......Now they will face a trial ( farse ) that will ultimatively lead to a

Life sentence or a capital punishment ( death ). If this happens I will definitively sell all my properties in Thailand and move to Cambodia or Myanmar ( Burma ) !! RTP and thai Courts is a joke !! Poor families !! Poor boys !!

Posts that contained derogatory slurs toward the RTP have been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I did.

Anybody know why Somyot is in the foreground of this photo and the original investigator mentioned in the article is in the background?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run

There is a reason the island mafia was chasing down Sean in the early days of the investigation which should not be forgotten. Things changed rapidly after powers that be flexed their muscle.

• Like 1

It appears that the RTP now have witnesses who would support the prosecution, but the B2 don't have any who would support them, apart from one friend. That could be enough to convict them on balance as being beyond reasonable doubt in the eyes of the judge - even if other evidence is questioned / challenged. Don't ask me where all the witnesses have materialised from, I'm sure you can work it out.

I have a very uncomfortable feeling that the B2 are going to be found guilty on all of the charges. Justice, Thai style.

I did.

I suggest the statement implies that 'if everyone was not scared there would be witnesses for them'. The rationale is in the use of the additional 'because' phrase.

This is just exhausting.

That one link to the PBS ( http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-tourist-murder-suspect-now-arrested-another-run ) says it all. They know who did it, they were ready to arrest, and then suddenly it all went away.

Your boys like Ant'5 or JD in asia will claim that this was because the bungling RTP just followed another dud lead like they did with The Earlier finger pointing at The English friend of David's.

But they never said they had enough evidence to prosecute the earlier suspects - just called them prime suspects or persons of interest.

Just go and read that PBS article again. They had them, but something, most likely financial, happened to stop it going ahead. Panya was not a local Copper and he was getting his men.

If anyone thinks this is a ridiculous conspiracy, then they obviously don't know very much about Thailand. I suppose they won't believe all the other news stories and factual events that happen in Thailand daily.

Yes, thats right folks, the Police are actually just misunderstood. <Money does not walk or talk in Thailand>

Quotes from the investigator in charge at that point from that article:

"He was arrested after evidence which police collected were examined and proved he was involved, he said.

He also said another suspect is also a son of that village headman. But he has already to Bangkok.

He said both suspects were captured by CCTV cameras and the police have gathered enough evidence to implicate them in the murders.

He said the southern police were coordinating with the metropolitan police to hunt him down, and expected to apprehend him today."

Yet after that, the same suspect was able to cruise around the crime scene with the police after the two Burmese boys were implicated. Shameful.

"... from the investigator in charge at that point from that article"

I hope he will be heard as a witness

lol the comments... if you read the article and deceide to react to it ... not reading other people's post, that already got a warning, you might end up getting a ban because one hot headed admin is tired of deleting comments from other and you got the full punishment ...

this is not a comment on moderation, but a comment on the irrational reaction

what do people most do ?

read the article and put their opinion, or first read the article, read 15 pages of crap of others and then getting banned without warning ?

Edited by maidee

New article 4th Dec http://asiancorrespo...formal-charges/

“It’s really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyone’s so scared,” Hall said. He said that Thais living on Koh Tao are especially scared to speak out, because they have names and addresses that can be easily tracked. This is their home, they can’t leave the way migrant workers or Western expats can. People are scared that their businesses will be closed or their lives will be threatened, even that they could be killed, Hall said.

No chance for the B2. Shame on Thailand

Can anyone identify who the guy in the photo is, wearing the white t-shirt with sunglasses pushed back on his head?

Never was their DNA tested prior to it coming back as a match. As explained numerous times as well as reported in the press, the police collected hundreds of samples and caused a huge backlog in testing at the labs. As they focused on particular suspects they would make checking theirs a priority and jump ahead in the queue. NEVER EVER has it been suggested or reported that a test was run that showed their DNA didn't match. And best I have seen there has been no explanation from the defense side as to why their semen would be in one of the victims or an accusation the DNA match was made up. As for contamination at the scene -- it cannot explain why their semen would be in one of the victims regardless of how many reporters or others were at the crime scene. "Contamination" would have to be a purposeful act of somebody having their semen and placing it in the victim early on in the first day of the investigation .. if the police did such a thing then they would not have gone out of their way to publicly accuse, and then have to admit being wrong about, those they accused early on including the farang friend and the son of the headsman.

I recently read this in an article about adoptions of children from Central America, the section in bold is I think quite relevant in this case:

"The DNA test was administered in July. Documents show that Karen’s cheek was swabbed, and that the sample was then compared with one from her mother Felicita’s cheek. The DNA comparison test, first put into place in 1995, was supposed to be a fool-proof fraud detector that verified whether a woman relinquishing a child was indeed biologically related to that child. A strict protocol instituted by the US Embassy mandated how the samples were drawn, handled, and shipped to pre-approved American laboratories that performed the actual testing. That way, it was thought, no one could tamper with the samples."

Never was their DNA tested prior to it coming back as a match. As explained numerous times as well as reported in the press, the police collected hundreds of samples and caused a huge backlog in testing at the labs. As they focused on particular suspects they would make checking theirs a priority and jump ahead in the queue. NEVER EVER has it been suggested or reported that a test was run that showed their DNA didn't match. And best I have seen there has been no explanation from the defense side as to why their semen would be in one of the victims or an accusation the DNA match was made up. As for contamination at the scene -- it cannot explain why their semen would be in one of the victims regardless of how many reporters or others were at the crime scene. "Contamination" would have to be a purposeful act of somebody having their semen and placing it in the victim early on in the first day of the investigation .. if the police did such a thing then they would not have gone out of their way to publicly accuse, and then have to admit being wrong about, those they accused early on including the farang friend and the son of the headsman.

I recently read this in an article about adoptions of children from Central America, the section in bold is I think quite relevant in this case:

"The DNA test was administered in July. Documents show that Karen’s cheek was swabbed, and that the sample was then compared with one from her mother Felicita’s cheek. The DNA comparison test, first put into place in 1995, was supposed to be a fool-proof fraud detector that verified whether a woman relinquishing a child was indeed biologically related to that child. A strict protocol instituted by the US Embassy mandated how the samples were drawn, handled, and shipped to pre-approved American laboratories that performed the actual testing. That way, it was thought, no one could tamper with the samples."

Did it come up with you already that we are in Thailand and not the US ?

"The DNA test was administered in July. Documents show that Karens cheek was swabbed, and that the sample was then compared with one from her mother Felicitas cheek. The DNA comparison test, first put into place in 1995, was supposed to be a fool-proof fraud detector that verified whether a woman relinquishing a child was indeed biologically related to that child. A strict protocol instituted by the US Embassy mandated how the samples were drawn, handled, and shipped to pre-approved American laboratories that performed the actual testing. That way, it was thought, no one could tamper with the samples."

Quite obvious. What has that got to do with the credibility of the post?

The poster is just commenting on the way human error or tampering can affect a result.

Your posts all day have consisted of these nonsical replies. If you are going to join the debate please try to make a decent comment without trying to mock posters or give silly retorts.

BANGKOK: -- Thai prosecutors on Wednesday said two Myanmar men will stand trial for the brutal killing of a pair of British holidaymakers on a tourist resort after finally accepting murder charges against them.

The headline from the article reads as if the B2 have now changed their minds again as it says 'finally accepting murder charges against them'.

Is anyone else reading it like this? Or is a mistake in the translation to English? I hope it's the latter.

And then this sentence:

'Thai authorities have strongly denied using the pair as scapegoats, insisting their case is built on solid evidence showing the DNA of the accused from initial tests matches samples taken from Witheridge's body'.

I thought they were cleared at the initial tests by the RTP and arrested after the second round?

Or does the article maybe mean that further tests done by other organisations do not match?

A few days after the murder police told news organizations the following:

• The police had twelve initial suspects
  • Three of these suspects were Burmese migrant workers seen drinking on the beach the night of the murder
  • All three of the men seen drinking on the beach were DNA tested and no match was found

There has never been any reports of any Burmese migrant workers seen drinking on the beach the night of the murders other than the two accused Burmese men and their friend the "witness".

In addition, it is almost inconceivable that the police didn't know very quickly that the two accused and the witness were drinking on the beach near the crime scene that night---they were there for hours, there was no reason for any person who saw them there, or near there, to protect them, and from what I remember they frequently went to the same spot.

Therefore it is quite possible that the two accused were in fact DNA tested and no match was found very early in the investigation.

The defense lawyer should determine from his clients if they were tested and interrogated at that time. If they were, he should ask for all information available regarding the interrogation and testing. In a fair trial he would receive it.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East
  • Like 2

"The DNA test was administered in July. Documents show that Karens cheek was swabbed, and that the sample was then compared with one from her mother Felicitas cheek. The DNA comparison test, first put into place in 1995, was supposed to be a fool-proof fraud detector that verified whether a woman relinquishing a child was indeed biologically related to that child. A strict protocol instituted by the US Embassy mandated how the samples were drawn, handled, and shipped to pre-approved American laboratories that performed the actual testing. That way, it was thought, no one could tamper with the samples."

Quite obvious. What has that got to do with the credibility of the post?

The poster is just commenting on the way human error or tampering can affect a result.

Your posts all day have consisted of these nonsical replies. If you are going to join the debate please try to make a decent comment without trying to mock posters or give silly retorts.

What is silly about my reply, you want to suggest that the DNA samples weren't correct drawn, handled or sent to Thailand approved laboratories, or that they have to be sent to US approved laboratories to be legal?

Edited by Anthony5