Retirement visa in Penang

UK citizens, I am informed, require a letter from the British Embassy to confirm they are retired.

Clearly, Embassy can confirm age as, of course can your passport but cannot confirm whether you work or not. New idea today. Could add my opinion but shall not

I have seen posts of that being needed but not of somebody actually needing to get one. Or for that matter even getting one.

I think there is confusion with getting an income letter to confirm retirement income.

You will be applying for a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over. If you ask for a retirement visa (non-oa) they will probably tell you that you cannot get it because you are not Malaysian or a resident.

What exactly do you mean by retirement visa? There is no such thing, although people often call a Non-Imm O-A visa a "retirement visa." That visa, if available at all in Penang, would require you to be a legal resident of the country in which you are applying, in this case Malaysia.

If you mean a non-imm O with the intention of eventually get an extension of stay based on retirement, then they probably want documentation of income from pension, etc.

The requirements for a British citizen applying for an O-A in UK are here, if that is in fact what you're thinking of. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/51

Maybe the Thai embassy in Malaysia (in Penang a consulate?) expects the same from Brits if they're legally resident there.

Edited by Suradit69

The problem is to get a Non Imm 'O' visa based on the intention to retire in Thailand, you would have to be 65 to be in receipt of a state pension

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

Category "O" To visit Thai spouse, children, parents, voluntary job, Retirement (with State Pension)

That is only in the UK. A single entry non-o is possible at one of the consulates in the UK. To get a multiple entry it requires you to be 65 or over. The embassy will only do the OA visa.