Halted execution of Texas inmate reveals flaws in US justice system

webfact

Halted Execution of Texas Inmate Reveals Flaws in US Justice System
Experts commented on the recent Texas court decision to cease the death penalty of mentally ill murderer Scott Panetti, saying that it shows the gaps in the US execution system.

WASHINGTON, December 5 (Sputnik) – The halted execution of mentally ill Texas murderer Scott Panetti points to flaws in the US death penalty system, experts have told Sputnik.

"Panetti's case suggests that our justice system still has trouble dealing appropriately with defendants with severe mental illness," Professor of Psychiatry, Medicine and Law at Columbia University Medical Center Paul Appelbaum told Sputnik Wednesday.

"The trial court's decision to allow a psychotic Panetti to represent himself at trial essentially guaranteed a guilty verdict," Appelbaum stressed.

Panetti, 56 years old, was scheduled to be put to death by lethal injection in Texas on Wednesday evening for shooting his parents in law to death, although he has been diagnosed and repeatedly hospitalized with mental illnesses including chronic schizophrenia, hallucinations and homicidal ideation towards his family.

During Panetti's 1995 trial, he chose to represent himself and claimed that his alternate personality "Sarge" was responsible for the murder of his in-laws in 1992. Panetti was then convicted and sentenced to death.

"If you look at the Scott Panetti case he was allowed to represent himself even though he had been hospitalized for schizophrenia," Advocacy Coordinator at Conservatives Concerned about the Death Penalty Marc Hyden told Sputnik Wednesday.

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/analysis/20141204/1015472064.html

-- Sputnik News 2014-12-04

• Like 1

Execution Stayed in Case of Mental Illness Claim in Texas
By DAVID MONTGOMERY

AUSTIN, Tex. — An appeals court panel in New Orleans on Wednesday stayed the execution of a Texas man in a case that has gained national attention as a test for issues surrounding mental illness.

The decision, by a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, said that the court needed more time to consider the larger issues in the case.

The man, Scott Panetti, 56, was scheduled to die Wednesday for killing his wife’s parents with a rifle in 1992 as his horrified wife and daughter looked on. Mr. Panetti represented himself at his trial, wearing a cowboy costume with a purple bandanna while trying to call more than 200 witnesses, including the pope, John F. Kennedy and Jesus.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/us/federal-appeals-court-halts-execution-in-texas-murder-case.html?_r=0

-- The New York Times 2014-12-04

Let me see. Since he was insane he did not kill them and they are not really dead. I understand he admits he did under the guise of an alter ego. There are dead and now the State must support him for the rest of his life.

I read in the USA, where I am from, 65% of the population has some form of psychological problems due to the stress of our society.

I guess it could be argued that anyone who deliberately commits premeditated murder is a bit off his rocker and/or amazingly sociopathic.

On the other hand people who claim they acted while on a sugar high (the Twinkie defense) sometimes seem to, quite literally, get away with murder.

When Dan White murdered San Francisco Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk, he only was sentenced to 8 years for involuntary manslaughter due to "diminished capacity" and he served only about five years ... in folk lore at least, based in part on a sugar rush from junk food.

Hard to say whether executing someone who has taken another person's life or keeping him in a cell for the rest of his life is worse. From a purely practical point of view, it can cost easily from $50,000 to $100,000 or more per year to house, feed and provide health services to someone held in prison. Moral and ethical issues aside, that money might be better spent for food, housing and medical needs for people who don't commit crimes. I've behaved myself fairly well and wouldn't mind $100,000 a year for my efforts.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

If someone is mentally ill enough to commit murder without realising what they are doing then they have the capacity to commit murder again. Better they receive the capital punishment instead of some innocent person getting murdered in future.

• Like 1

The test for "not guilty by reason of insanity" has always been whether the perp was capable of knowing what he did was wrong. Obviously he did.

The death penalty is not only punishment. It is also society's way of assuring that this person will never do such a thing again.

Witnesses have said that he can put on an act of insanity when it suits him.

Perhaps the best thing to do in this case is to commute his sentence to life imprisonment. He sure as heck can't be found not guilty by reason of insanity and put back on the streets.

Its a shame Jesus did not turn up to give evidence on his behalf,

The flaw in the U.S. justice system is that it still executes people.

Most countries do not have capital punishment.

Killing is killing is murder.

post-147745-0-12129900-1417709238_thumb.

The red countries still kill people as punishment.

Edited by willyumiii

The flaw in the U.S. justice system is that it still executes people.

Most countries do not have capital punishment.

Killing is killing is murder.

attachicon.gifCapital_punishment.PNG

The red countries still kill people as punishment.

No worries, please forward your name and address, the Texan authorities I feel sure will be more than willing to have you, feed, clothe and take care of this nutter at your own expense, hence saving Uncle Sam mega$$$ on his care.

Please contact Texas for details, please let me know where you live in Thailand so I can make sure neither my family or I live anywhere near you.

Hang Em High, and be quick about it, why T F should the taxpayer pick up the tab?

• Like 1

If someone is mentally ill enough to commit murder without realising what they are doing then they have the capacity to commit murder again. Better they receive the capital punishment instead of some innocent person getting murdered in future.

That is it in a nutshell. In general, I have no use for the mentally ill defense when it comes to violent crimes.