Chiang Mai Mardi Gras, is it on?

Donnyboy

Someone mentioned to me the other day its back, dec 9-11, the night bazaar changklan rd.

Any one else hear about it? No signage that ive seen so cant confirm.

It was good fun last time i attended 6 years ago.

I agree ...I don't have anything against a good festival but I think some festivals are not in sync with Lanna culture no matter how much fun it may be

As the world globalizes and every distance shortened ...we should leave some experiences for itself

I think a Mardi Gras parade is best experienced in Sydney or Brazil ...let's leave Chiang Mai alone for this one :)

I agree ...I don't have anything against a good festival but I think some festivals are not in sync with Lanna culture no matter how much fun it may be

As the world globalizes and every distance shortened ...we should leave some experiences for itself

I think a Mardi Gras parade is best experienced in Sydney or Brazil ...let's leave Chiang Mai alone for this one smile.png

I would enjoy it, if a bunch of girls with g strings and peacock feathers rode on the back of floats, throwing candy at me while they were dancing the "Samba"....

• Like 2

I think a Mardi Gras parade is best experienced in Sydney or Brazil ...let's leave Chiang Mai alone for this one smile.png

Excellent point about globalization, Lawrence.

East is east, and West is west... etc., etc.

Historically, Mardi Gras was a bacchanal before the ritual fast of Lent, as practiced in Catholic countries all over Europe and Latin America.

Although the festival itself dates from the Middle Ages, the name "Mardi Gras" has traditionally been associated with the festivities in New Orleans since the city was founded in 1718 by the French. The first Mardi Gras carnival parade was held there in 1837, setting the tone for the modern celebration which has since been followed with alacrity by some other cities, notably Rio de Janeiro.

Laissez le bon temps rouler! ...but not in Chiang Mai. We have enough wild multi-day orgies without adding another one.

• Like 1

Year with globalization and the apps available for travel ...the real experience of walking somewhere unchartered is all gone

Most travel today centered around itinerary planning and for me that takes the fun away from most travel

Gifts and souvenirs that used to be exclusive to travel are now available online dimming the experience same with festivals

Off topic - sort of.

There will be something called the "Pop Up" festival taking place at the vacant block of land close to the Rivermarket restaurant.

This weekend i think.

There's signage down there. Dave2, do your thing!

Off topic - sort of.

There will be something called the "Pop Up" festival taking place at the vacant block of land close to the Rivermarket restaurant.

This weekend i think.

There's signage down there. Dave2, do your thing!

Ok, it's called Pop Market, is on this Saturday and Sunday between 2pm and 10pm at the 140 year old Lanna house, and is a market for local designers to sell their wares as part of Chiang Mai Design Week.

Edited by scd