Shrien Dewani murder case thrown out by South African judge

Lite Beer

Shrien Dewani murder case thrown out by South African judge

British businessman Shrien Dewani has been cleared of murdering his wife during their South Africa honeymoon, after the judge threw out the case.

Judge Jeanette Traverso said the evidence presented by the prosecution fell "far below the threshold" of what a reasonable court could convict on.

She said the evidence of the prosecution's main witness was "riddled with contradictions".

Anni's family said they had been failed by the justice system.

Announcing her ruling, the judge said the only reason not to grant the application would be in the hope that Mr Dewani would implicate himself if he gave evidence.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-30375335

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-08

Personally I think he arranged the murder, but what I believe is Irrelevant as the law rightly threw out the case due to a muddled narrative from the driver in court. Law is Law. Every time I saw footage of him during that alleged PTSD stage, I was somewhat reminded of a teenager putting on a croakey 'sick' voice on the phone, when plotting a fun day off work.

• Like 2

Strange case. Ultimately, Dewani wasn't guilty or innocent, but found to have no case to answer, so no surprise there.

Three men have already been found guilty of conspiracy to murder and serving their sentences so there's the family's justice for Anni Dewani. They really haven't a hope in hell of winning a civil case in the UK.

I am sure he will be pleased, he can go back to his not so ''Double Life'' with Male Prostitutes... , which is fine, its his life...., but to be married to a Woman, and doing that.. ??? well not right is it....

I feel for her family, they must be devestated....

She was a beautiful looking girl...

• Like 1

I watched a documentary on this the cctv footage of him the day after walking in the hotel laughing on his mobile, he sure did not look like a man who had just lust just wife!

Also they had all the phone records of calls he made to taxi driver etc.

I thought he was guilty!

Edited by DarloKnight
  • Like 1

I haven't followed this case very closely, but if somebody had asked my opinion I'd've said he was probably guilty.

The previous poster mentions Dewani laughing on his phone, well that doesn't sound the sort of thing a widower would do, but who am I to judge, some people are pretty weird, aren't they?

This article linked below sets out to answer all the obvious questions.

Having read it, I am prepared to believe it was a set up. At the end of the day the real loser is South Africa. The spotlight on this unfortunate country once again, highlighting the parlous state of law enforcement.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/Dewani-trial-what%20really-happened/ar-BBguyMJ

South Africa has no law in that country. Murders, rapers and armed robers walk the streets free and have more rights than a law abiding citizen. What a shame SA has become. Over 50 people murdered a month and it's just sweept under the carpet by the SA Government.

Actually it's between 30 - 40 people per day and that's just the murders that the police know about. And almost none of then are solved.

• Like 1

yes a notorious place, i was working on a doctors house some years ago, his wife came running out of the house in a hell of a state, it would appear her brother was taking some Blockbuster videos back to the shop, when this guy just walked up to him, shot and killed him, and just drove away in his car, i had to ring her husband, to come back from the hospital to cosole her.

The senior investigating detective Capt Paul Hendrikse was asked about the decision to offer a plea bargain to Tongo, whose evidence was the “fulcrum” of the prosecution case. He said the decision had been made by the Western Cape’s director of public prosecutions (DPP), Rodney de Kock.

Lived up to his name then.

South Africa has no law in that country. Murders, rapers and armed robers walk the streets free and have more rights than a law abiding citizen. What a shame SA has become. Over 50 people murdered a month and it's just sweept under the carpet by the SA Government.

What do you expect, it's in Africa, after all. Any country in East/Southeast Asia (except North Korea) is relatively safer than any in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Edited by copa8

• 2 weeks later...

What do you expect, it's in Africa, after all. Any country in East/Southeast Asia (except North Korea) is relatively safer than any in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Yes you correct in what you said but it's only been like that since the ANC come into power. The old SA was one of the best places in the world to live. The ANC have run that country in the ground.

Yes you correct in what you said but it's only been like that since the ANC come into power. The old SA was one of the best places in the world to live. The ANC have run that country in the ground.

Well actually the murders/crime where going on even in the old SA except they were "contained " in the townships and no one give a sh&t if the natives were hacking each other to bits all that really changed was that the crime and violence got out the townships since the ANC got in

But yes the standard of policing in SA has collapsed since the ANC got in, all they are interested in is raiding the state treasury

If you read the rags there on the current rolling blackouts with the power supplies, the government is blaming the Apartheid government for this, not ANC oversight as regards lack of maintenance and forward planning/investment as regards new power stations and infrastructure

Well actually the murders/crime where going on even in the old SA except they were "contained " in the townships and no one give a sh&t if the natives were hacking each other to bits all that really changed was that the crime and violence got out the townships since the ANC got in

But yes the standard of policing in SA has collapsed since the ANC got in, all they are interested in is raiding the state treasury

If you read the rags there on the current rolling blackouts with the power supplies, the government is blaming the Apartheid government for this, not ANC oversight as regards lack of maintenance and forward planning/investment as regards new power stations and infrastructure

What you need to keep in mind was in those days there was law and order in the country. If you murdered, raped, armed robbery etc you would go to prison or got the death penalty. The borders were controlled and now days any body can enter the country from the borders. That's one of the reasons crime is so bad. They will be blaming Apartheid for etenerty. What must be clear is they are savages because of the manner they are brutaly murdering the population.