CIA torture report: US raises security ahead of release

webfact

WASHINGTON: -- Security has been stepped up at US facilities around the world ahead of the release of a report expected to reveal details of harsh CIA interrogations, the White House says.

Embassies and other sites were taking precautions amid "some indications" of "greater risk", a spokesman said.

A 480-page summary of the Senate report is due to be released on Tuesday.

It is expected to detail the CIA's campaign against al-Qaeda in the aftermath of 9/11.

As well as detailing the controversial methods used by CIA operatives in an effort to extract information from high-value suspects, the report is expected to say harsh interrogations failed to deliver appropriate results.

Publication of the report has been delayed amid disagreements in Washington over what should be made public.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30383924

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-12-09

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"That's fine, if you also do not get outraged when your enemies do the same.
But if you want to be outraged at other groups' methods, you need to remain on the moral highground."

My enemies chop peoples heads off and blow up the Twin Towers.

Send them to my house for a proper interrogation. I'll be sure to take them up to the high ground first. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4

• Like 2

This Obama guy will do anything to sully the US face to the world in his relentless effort to distance

himself from his predecessors,

History will remember his as a president that did all he could to demonise and render his country

an impotent, and all for what? to ass-kiss the Muslim world butts, and what did he get out of it?

ISIS... as a present to his efforts..

You mean it was Obama who gave the approval to torture during the Bush administration?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As far as I am concern, do whatever you have to do to get information from these terrorist to save innocent peoples lives. And the hell with their civil rights, they have none.

That's fine, if you also do not get outraged when your enemies do the same.

But if you want to be outraged at other groups' methods, you need to remain on the moral highground.

Do you mean like cutting someone head off? The hell with your moral high ground.

YOU said "do whatever...".

Make up your mind.

Your post suggests you prefer the moral low ground. And as I said, that's fine, but you will need to accept your enemies having no morals either.

• Like 1

But if you want to be outraged at other groups' methods, you need to remain on the moral highground."

Send them to my house for a proper interrogation. I'll be sure to take them up to the high ground first. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJARfU4

What's the moral difference between chopping someone's head off and shooting them? Or firing a rocket from a drone at their house? Or a shock and awe campaign?

All I am saying is, ok, go ahead and do whatever....I have no problem with that, IF you also accept your enemies doing "whatever" (which is the word I originally responded to).

• Like 2

This Obama guy will do anything to sully the US face to the world in his relentless effort to distance

himself from his predecessors,

History will remember his as a president that did all he could to demonise and render his country

an impotent, and all for what? to ass-kiss the Muslim world butts, and what did he get out of it?

ISIS... as a present to his efforts..

You mean it was Obama who gave the approval to torture during the Bush administration?

Bush has been gone for 6 years. Obama has been president.

Your point is....?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What's the moral difference between chopping someone's head off and shooting them? Or firing a rocket from a drone at their house? Or a shock and awe campaign?

All I am saying is, ok, go ahead and do whatever....I have no problem with that, IF you also accept your enemies doing "whatever" (which is the word I originally responded to).

I accept it, now does shut you up? facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Do you mean like cutting someone head off? The hell with your moral high ground.

YOU said "do whatever...".

Make up your mind.

Your post suggests you prefer the moral low ground. And as I said, that's fine, but you will need to accept your enemies having no morals either.

Are you suggesting that Al Qaeda has high morals? If we just play nice, they'll play nice too?

To Hell with them. As I said, send them to my house and I'll take them up to the high ground.

You and Mango seem a bit thick this morning and are not comprehending written English.

Before I explain again...go back and read the dialogue. If you still can't understand, ask me nicely and I will write again in simpler words.

• Like 1

Why would you want to shut me up? Now that it's taken you an hour or so to comprehend very simple language, are you embarrassed?

Why would you want to shut me up? Now that it's taken you an hour or so to comprehend very simple language, are you embarrassed?

Don't worry, normal reaction from someone who has ran himself into a corner

I accept it, now does shut you up? alt=facepalm.gif>

Yes I am embarrassed with your comments. Now back on topic with Never Sure.

The sad problem I see is blowback.

No need to debate which side has rights & which does not as after the black wheel spins a few

times it is impossible to say with impunity for either side.......

as it has become a which came first the chicken or the egg question

Things like this will infuriate the other side just as the things they do infuriates this side.

But the blowback........for both sides is real.

Yes tighten security as you can....great for official sites/embassies countries etc....

but what about Joe Shmoe & his wife Dorthy from east bumfuk Idaho taking a trip to god knows where & have no ties nor any real interest in any of these wars?

They become targets of blowback same as many on the other side just because of where they came from.

They could become a "suspected" terrorist

So maybe things like this behavior being reported is not a problem for those living in the country of origin?

Oh hell yes it isYou think not but the hate is eating the country one bit at a time.

Financially, personal freedoms curtailed in the name of safety etc etc etc

Not to single out this post

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/782638-cia-torture-report-us-raises-security-ahead-of-release/#entry8778141

But this right here is it.....You think the other side does not say the exact same thing?

You think on 9-11 someone woke up & said ..."Hey this seems like a good day to fly into a building"

No it was some form of blowback for actions elsewhere. So where does it end? Especially a open ended war like this?

There is no government to ever surrender. There is no central group to wave a white flag.

There is & never will be any shortage of those on either side who think exactly like the post above I

pointed out....So????? How will it ever end?

It won't....instead the blowback will increase ...for both sides...make more individuals say the same as

the post I pointed out...again on both sides....US will tighten more & more of the personal freedoms citizens

once had ...in the name of safety/security...watch out for that blowback...

Lastly $$$$/debt incurred will increase because that all comes at a cost

Kind of sucks for folks like many of us here that move about in this world & don't really want to have a side but

we too are deemed guilty of our sides actions in the eyes of the others side....Does not matter which side you

choose to insert in that last sentence as the side you come from because it will never matter to those like the post above.

Because the goal is kill them all...even though that is impossible because every one that each side kills births 2 more that are more

angry & more determined to "never forget"

What a mess

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I just find it funny that the BBC America/Canada report has the headline,

But the BBC UK has the headline for the same story,

CIA report prompts US security alert

and barely mentions torture, they call it harsh CIA interrogations, which is a joke. What I also find funny are all the people on here saying torture is ok because it gets the info but the facts is it did not get any info,maybe they should have tried to read the actual article first before commenting.

• Like 2