Best Value Location

Cheesekraft

Nimman is expensive. Much cheaper rentals are available in the other locations you mention. A favorite area of mine is sort of "behind and a bit to the south" of the train station. It's been described to me as "the wrong side of the tracks" but I lived there for years and loved it.

I couldn't do Hang Dong, but I know people who are very happy out there.

Nimman is expensive. Much cheaper rentals are available in the other locations you mention. A favorite area of mine is sort of "behind and a bit to the south" of the train station. It's been described to me as "the wrong side of the tracks" but I lived there for years and loved it.

I couldn't do Hang Dong, but I know people who are very happy out there.

The expression "the wrong side of the tracks" doesn't apply to any neighbourhoods in Chiang Mai. They are all mixed, with different social and economic elements living together.

It is an ugly American term that should be left in its home country where it is more characteristic.

It doesn't belong in Chiang Mai.

Well, considering the area was described as "behind and a bit to the south of the train station" and presumably the trains run on tracks.....then it could literally be on the wrong side of the tracks.

You're splitting hairs.

In the US, where the expression originated, it means a bad neighbourhood... unequivocally.

wrong side of the tracks = a crappy area. like there are none in thailand ? get a life, grow up, not everything is a insult to thsiness :-)

No big slums in Chiang Mai since the early 1980's when they bulldozed the one behind Wat Puak Chang.

The mixed neighbourhoods are one of the attractions of the city.

wrong side of the tracks = a crappy area. like there are none in thailand ? get a life, grow up, not everything is a insult to thsiness :-)

No big slums in Chiang Mai since the early 1980's when they bulldozed the one behind Wat Puak Chang.

You may claim exclusive understanding of the phrase "wrong side of the tracks" but that doesn't make you correct. English, like all languages, is a moveable feast, and an expression that may have originated in the US can and does come to have different interpretations and meanings in other parts of the world.

To me the phrase simply denotes a geographical separation and distinction - of wealth, aspiration, class or even architecture, for example.

To say that CM has become a city of integration and mixture of such parameters is patently absurd. Of course there are mixed neighbourhoods, but there are also areas that are the "right side of the tracks" and the "wrong side of the tracks" - a very subjective descriptor in any case.

• Like 2

I pay 5000 bht for a large studio near Jet Yod, near Niemenheimen and it includes internet, tv, fully furnished, fresh sheets and cleaned each month, excellent security and I think I have a great deal. I took a 6 mo contract but still here 2 years later because nothing to complain about excepts the flight path of the airplanes overhead at times. Paying 3500 for a small unfurnished studio without amenities might not be as great a value as it appears....but it's whatever our budget allows...

• Like 2

Spot on.

The diversity of our Wat Muang Guy/Sanam Golf neighbourhood is one of the things I've always appreciated.

It is where my wife's family has lived for generations and where we raised our children.

When I first came in the late '70s it was single family wooden houses - some very nice - and bamboo hooches. Then the building boom of the mid-'80s brought quite a few multi-storied concrete hawng pahks and ostentatious ban setee's. What didn't change was the different classes and types of people living together and getting along.

They wouldn't know what you were talking about if you told them they were living on "the wrong side of the tracks."

• Like 1

@Cheesekraft: that depends on what you are looking for what represents "value" to you. If you like nightlife, going out, then certainly Nimman is the best area to be. Actually you can still find rooms/apartments at normal prices especially if you go a bit closer to CMU. However traffic is pretty bad at times around this area. So all depends what you are looking for. You can live a bit outside (Hang Dong, Doi Saket, Sansai etc) and you still have all amenities nearby and if you like to go to the city you are there within 20 mins.

@Canarysun: your prices are a bit off I must say. A student apartment (single furnished room with decent bathroom) goes for 3000 baht without aircon, 3500 baht with aircon, be it near CMU or Maejo. Maybe you can get a discount if you are lucky and can get something for 2700 baht but no less. Rooms for 1000 baht or houses for 2000 baht are unrealistic here in Chiang Mai and also in other areas in Thailand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When i was in Chiang Mai recently the going rate for a one bedroom condo was about 3,500 Baht a month a few KM just outside of the City.

If you prefer a " village life " then if you go to about 15 KM out of the City i found basic rooms from 1000 baht a month ( very small but with own bathroom ) and houses ( 2 bed ) with gardens from as little as 2000 baht a month to about 3,500 baht a month.

Good Advice : DO NOT GO THROUGH AN AGENCY !!! The only way is to get up early,take plenty of water and start walking and knocking on doors and speaking to people ( only Thais ) There are plenty of bargains to be found but you need to start " thinking in Thai "

Also you are not " cut off from the world " in these villages as many of them have a regular baht bus that goes to Chiang Mai city every hour for about 20 baht .

No need for a car or motorbike as you are in " Bicycle territory " and it's fab!

Farang Jaidee ( reporting...... )

You are a a dishonest individual that trolls for a shock reaction. I've lived here 8 years, have quite a few Thai friends and have been in [almost] every nook and cranny in the city and outlying areas and have never seen a 2 bedroom house for 2K-3.5K THB. Not that I ever looked for one... If they exist they would not be fit for rats. I did take a look at a condominium about 8 months ago as I was curious what one could buy for 450,000 THB and where the average rent in the building was about 2.5K THB per month. The appx 28 m2 condos (one room and a toilet) exterior had not been painted in perhaps 15 years, they had leaks from one floor to another with huge brown stains all over the walls from said leaks, tile was maybe 20 years old, the surrounding grounds were all dirt - no concrete or asphalt. Must be lovely when it rains. And, there were gangs of tattooed up Burmese guys sitting out front drinking lao khao at 4:00 in the afternoon. It was heaven!

My partner's mother owns buildings with 1500 THB per month rooms. The walls are paper thin, doors could be kicked in with one kick. Most tenants leave at 7:00 for work and return at 7:00 P.M. She's never had a farang inquire about a room in 25 years. Troll on...

I am certainly not " dishonest " I know all about cheap thai accommodation and i live in one in pattaya ( 2000 baht a month inc wifi & sat Tv ) The rooms i found in Chiang Mai for 1000 baht a month were very basic and very small and most certainly not luxury! but available for those living on a budget! There are houses for rent in some of the villages in Chiang Mai for 2000 baht a month because a good friend of mine was renting one! ( and a regular Thai Visa Viewer may i add..) It also had a security gates,and a garden, in fact we sat in the garden one afternoon enjoying the sunshine and a " scary snake " came down from the tree and gave me rather a strange look.( I ran off ..) These houses are not easy to find and not advertised anywhere (just word of mouth and a lot of walking! ) I found quite a few for 3,500 that were very nice. But like i say you have to get out there and " stir the waters ".

Farang Jaidee

• Like 2

The best value housing is where there are fewer foreigners.

Mae Rim, are very reasonable.

approx 3 to 5 yrs ago,mae rim district was very , very affordable, but the farung explosion or alien invasion ,has put a end to that

good locations are asking for top money,either for land only, or a dwelling

summing up maerim distict, I.M.O. 4 mil will buy u very little, better locations will bring more

the bargain buys,are very few , far and between,

the cheap days are long gone ,mae rim is attracting the top end of the market,as the innercity is coming apart at the seams ,whilst mae rim still has a very rural envoirment and only short drive to the city if required

and steak of the day and i dont know eateries, have put it on the map for a nice place to have a nose bag( whether thais or aliens) at mae rim plaza,not to mention makro super market for main shopping,and the maerimites grapevine is still running hot that BIG C is around the corner

a very nice afternoon to allsmile.png

Edited by evenstevens

@Canarysun: your prices are a bit off I must say. A student apartment (single furnished room with decent bathroom) goes for 3000 baht without aircon, 3500 baht with aircon, be it near CMU or Maejo. Maybe you can get a discount if you are lucky and can get something for 2700 baht but no less. Rooms for 1000 baht or houses for 2000 baht are unrealistic here in Chiang Mai and also in other areas in Thailand.

Please read #20, from 1,600bht/month. Ten other apartment blocks in the same road, all around 1,500bht/month.

Photo taken last week, 250m from MaeJo University (next to the BeLive building and traffic lights)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

The best value housing is where there are fewer foreigners.

Mae Rim, are very reasonable.

approx three yrs to 5 yrs ago,mae rim district was very , very affordable, but the farung explosion or alien invasion ,has put a end to that

good locations are asking for top money,either for land only, or a dwelling

summing up maerim distict, I.M.O. 4 mil will buy u very little, better locations will bring more

the bargain buys,are very few , far and between,

the cheap days are long gone ,mae rim is attracting the top end of the market,as the innercity is coming apart at the seams ,whilst mae rim still has a very rural envoirment and only short drive to the city if required

and steak of the day and i dont know eateries, have put it on the map for a nice place to have a nose bag( whether thais or aliens) at mae rim plaza

a very nice afternoon to all:)

I was living in Don Keow Village (half way to Mae Rim) last year and renting a 2 bed with garden for 5k/month, this year the same house is 6k/month, and many more similar available on the estate.

Since the summer (civil unrest + coup) house rentals are getting CHEAPER as less and less western foreigners come to live in Thailand.

(If they aren't cheaper, then they stand empty, up to the landlord)

You are completely out of touch with rental prices in the area.

As a foreigner,

Why are you talking purchase? You can't.

As a Thai,

Houses on my estate (3 bed/3 shower) in MaeJo, new houses sold by the developer, have increased from 1.8M to 1.9M.

But sales have totally ceased, Thailand is entering an economic downturn.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

It all depends on what's important to you. Value is relative.

I like the area about 5-7km north of Central Festival, prices are sensible, there is good access to ring roads and centre of town and the traffic is not as bad as many other areas (though gets worse every year).

My opinion, best location and cheapest...around Raum Chok. Middle Ring Road and 1001. Actually, near Sausage King. I do not even miss the crowded inner city. We go there maybe once a week. Our 4 bedroom, 4 bath home is 5000 per month. Simply unbeatable. We hardly use the car or scooter...can ride out bicycles to Rimpings, Meechok...the market and Tesco. All 5 minutes away. Three choices for western breakfast, and 3 or 4 western restaurants. Fast food it you like that. Subway, Pizza, Mickey D's, Sausage King and Kelly's. More than satisfying. Swimming pool and gym down the street by 1001. 10 minutes to the moat...just follow the river down.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 2

my appologies cheesekraft , i erred in thinking that u were asking for a freehold property,not renting , very sorry about that

near P.T.I.S. rents are from approx 10,000 baht to 30 .000 baht range,per month

green valley estate, very little(if any) under 20,000 baht

mae rim town. , approx 10,000 baht and upwards

the four seasons district and beyond 15,000 baht plus

the above approx prices are for a nice comfortable family home, with all amenties working , not a run down shack

out in beverly hills i have a 32 sq metre guest house on my property with full ensuite and balcony , i can get 6000 baht per month tomorrow, so location in mae rim district plays a vital role guess as anywhere else

summing up the mae rim rental market I.M.O. not a lot under 10.000 baht, if so it would be probably be a humpty,or u got a great deal

Rule 1

Never rent from a foreigner

Rule 2

Never rent from English language adverts

Rule 3

Never rent through a property agency

Rule 4

Don't rent using your Thai gf as a front

Rule 5

Beware of shady operators selling any services on the sly through forums

In all these cases it generally costs double the price of renting yourself directly from a Thai owner.

• Like 1

Please read #20, from 1,600bht/month. Ten other apartment blocks in the same road, all around 1,500bht/month.

Photo taken last week, 250m from MaeJo University (next to the BeLive building and traffic lights)

thanks. That's interesting. I will go take a look around the Maejo aread. I don't know how they can make a decent return with such low rents.

I have built a student apartment building in Khon Kaen (near university) and bought one near CMU and renovated it. I'm renting them out for 2,700-3,000 per month and 3,500 with aircon. Standard rooms (about 22 sqm) with normal bath, newly furnished, free Wifi.

1500-1600 is incredibly low, people need to be desperate to rent out at such low prices.

• Like 1

thanks. That's interesting. I will go take a look around the Maejo aread. I don't know how they can make a decent return with such low rents.

I have built a student apartment building in Khon Kaen (near university) and bought one near CMU and renovated it. I'm renting them out for 2,700-3,000 per month and 3,500 with aircon. Standard rooms (about 22 sqm) with normal bath, newly furnished, free Wifi.

1500-1600 is incredibly low, people need to be desperate to rent out at such low prices.

There are loads of new builds going up, and they all know the current rental rates, so must be seeing a profit at those prices.

• Like 1

In my opinion the best place to live in CM is Tjian Kian. It's close to the universities and at the bottom of Doi Suthep road close to the zoo and all sorts of night markets etc. It's brilliant! It's kind of like a village but really busy. Gazillions of great and cheap places to eat thanks to all the students. Khao Gar moo 30 baht! Flora House is where I'd start. You're only 5 minutes by bike from the moat road etc. Check it out!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

People are not desperate its the going rate in many areas in Thailand.I would imagine just my reading on Thai Visa that there are many farang paying way over the top on rents because they haven't researched the area! 3,500 for Khon Kaen is certainly not cheap either,its reasonable but certainly not an amazing deal! I have travelled through most of Thailand and i know what the prices are more or less.I have seen rents for around 1,500 & 1,600 in most Thai areas and a reasonable size but basic! but great for living in! like i have said so many times,if you want to find cheap places get out and mingle with the Thais.There is loads of cheap accommodation out there but you will have to do a bit of footwork to find them! Here in pattaya you will struggle to find rooms under 2,500 per month.Where i live it's " Full at the Inn " with young sexy Thai birds " coming & going " ( kind respect where due ladies..) in hot pants and rather pleasing to the eye......... x

• Like 1