When you first came to Thailand - Do you remember what you ate?

Costas2008

It was 1981 the fourth stop of a tour of Asia, late May I think I did drink those days. A sunny afternoon and last time I saw the sun for the next ten days.

Across and down Soi Four from the Nana Hotel to a teak type house in front of something green growing in a field.

Had Tod Man Pla and Yum Nua with rice and that was the start of the love affair.

When I first came to Thailand it was 1973 & I was on R & R & I don't remember what I ate.

When I first came to Thailand to live it was 1983 & I had a bowl of beef noodles & grilled

chicken breast at a stall on Sukhumvit along with a large bottle of Beer Sing. I still like

to have the same today for some reason.

Happy Holidays y'all...

Let's see - First come to Thailand - what did I eat... Well 47 years ago I flew into Don Mueang Airport with about 100 other guys, We had been flying seated backwards on a U.S. Air Force C-141 Starlifter -- I was disoriented to say the least and wasn't really very hungry... The herded us off to buses and we went to Lopburi -- to the Special Forces Army base there ... they fed us something from the chow hall - I have no recollection... I then crashed and went to sleep... I am reasonably sure we had such things at scrambled eggs and toast the next morning.

• Like 1

My first trip to Thailand was a week in July 1997. Memorable food memories include;

...an inexpensive massive seafood plate on the beach on Koh Samet.

...eating that dry, flattened squid in BKK outside a kickboxing stadium. Locals were laughing and I was wondering what I was doing wrong.

...We were at a restaurant and the waiter couldn't find the right words in English so he went into the kitchen and showed us four bags of different flavour Ramen noodles. At first I was taken aback that a restaurant would serve Ramen noodles but they were delicious so I didn't mind.

...Cabbages & Condoms in BKK (the restaurant, I didn't actually eat cabbage and condoms)

Edited by mopar71

^^^ aka...SOS JDG

Happy Holidays!

Yes - that too --- but it was never real chipped beef -- some kind of frozen hamburger ... I never cared for it ... but sometimes it was all we had ... I had a water buffalo burger one time in Hua Hin ... very red meat... strong taste...

Second thing, khao man gai and the third thing, som tam, the lady ask how spicy I wanted it, I told her to make it like she make for Thai people, it was so spicy that I choke on it. Now I can drink a bottle of Tabasco without problems, not spicy enough.