Thailand and Japan to hold Green Mekong Forum

webfact

Thailand and Japan to hold Green Mekong Forum

BANGKOK, 22 December 2014 (NNT) – Thailand and Japan will be co-hosting the third Green Mekong Forum in Bangkok to encourage environmental awareness.

The Green Mekong Forum will be hosted by the Thai and Japanese government on 25 December 2014 at the Intercontinental Hotel, Bangkok as part of the Mekong-Japan Cooperation.

The forum will be held with the aim to encourage cooperation in sustainable development and to raise the environmental awareness issues between the member states, namely Thailand, Japan, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Vietnam.

The Director-General of the Department of International Economic Affairs Chutintorn Kongsak, and the Deputy Director-General of the Southeast and Southwest Asian Affairs Department of Japan Shigeki Takizaki will co-chair the forum.

Urban environment improvements and the mitigation and preparation for disasters will be the main theme in this forum, while the participants will be able to discuss and exchange the views on environmental challenges in the Mekong region.

Thailand and Japan have been selected to host the Green Mekong Forum during the Greater Mekong Sub-region (GMS) Summit in November 2014 by the members of the summit.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-22 footer_n.gif

My geography is pretty bad so could be wrong, but what in hell does the Mekong have to do with Japan.......

My thoughts too.

The countries involved need to act in concert to prevent the degradation of such a mighty river. However, whenever I hear the phrase 'sustainable development', I shudder. This is a favourite soundbite of the environmental loonies who would like to see us all revert to the stone age.

"... encourage cooperation in sustainable development ..."

Except Thailand doesn't want Japanese steel, Japanese rail systems, or investments. The Junta seems to prefer China as a development partner. Maybe manufacture of Chinese vehicles in Thailand to replace Japanese vehicles is in the planning.