another day another rip off attempt

zoza

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

''give Pattaya a bad name'' - that's hilarious.

Add, when will many of you guys realize what Pattaya is?

It's not Thailand, in fact it's nothing like real Thailand. Pattaya is one of places on the world list of places mostly for sex tourists.

Regardless of what country these places are located, your going to find lots of 'things' which are a little / a lot outside of the

'mainstream economy / the civilized world'.

You choose to go to Pattaya and hang around bars then accept comes with it. Nobody forced you to go to Pattaya, or the similar locations across the whole world.

And when will you realize that the money farang bring into Thailand in these locations is actually a very small part of the Thai economy.

Seems that some farang should be less condescending.
Leave NOTHING on the tray.

Inquire if diligent and attentive dek serves are permitted to keep all "tips in the hand".

If the answer is yes, TIP in the hand

At the same time telling them that you TIP only for SERVICE.

Ask 'em how they like "thai style" tipping. Or Chinese or Russian style. Or low rent Japanese for that matter.

Add to this comment (if your Thai or their English is good enough) that ANYTHING they have heard to the contrary from their stoopid "aunties" about farangs and tipping is bullshit racism.

The younger ones get it.

You will have done your bit.

The waitress is not a 'beer dek' She is 'service'staff. If you want to tip her give her the money direct not on the tray. Tray money goes to the bar not the staff. Many of these girls are really poor, trying to help their families,and DO NOT GET A SALARY. They rely on our generosity

and tips. The mean minded, mean spirited, scrooges here make me ashamed. If you can't afford to tip 10 Baht then do not go out for a drink. Do not come to Thailand.

Actually manic, with all due respect here both to your charitable sensibilities and the needs of dek serves everywhere, I tip for service and I tip well.

I do NOT tip some kid who grovels to some fake fat auntie farang expert who has TOLD the kid that we are stupid and rich and we have to tip Thais.

Instead I try to find out where in the bar the old hose bag is roosting and I crack into her about her being no better than a Mae Lao and that she and her racist bullshit belong in a museum of touristic horrors.

The only tip she'll get from me is that when she visits her kid in Helsinki she should never eat the golden snow she sees outside the bars and pubs.

....... and I guess that you are normally alone when you go into these places.

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 2

When the dek serves in bars give me an attitude because I only leave a ten baht tip on the tray, I take it back and say "ok, you no want John keep." Reminds me when I was a boy and didn't stoop to pick up a penny and my mother said: "Today you laugh at a penny...one day you'll cry for a penny." I guess that's why I retired at forty...thanks mom! Seems like some Thais need to listen better to mom.

Seems that some farang should be less condescending.
Leave NOTHING on the tray.

Inquire if diligent and attentive dek serves are permitted to keep all "tips in the hand".

If the answer is yes, TIP in the hand

At the same time telling them that you TIP only for SERVICE.

Ask 'em how they like "thai style" tipping. Or Chinese or Russian style. Or low rent Japanese for that matter.

Add to this comment (if your Thai or their English is good enough) that ANYTHING they have heard to the contrary from their stoopid "aunties" about farangs and tipping is bullshit racism.

The younger ones get it.

You will have done your bit.

The waitress is not a 'beer dek' She is 'service'staff. If you want to tip her give her the money direct not on the tray. Tray money goes to the bar not the staff. Many of these girls are really poor, trying to help their families,and DO NOT GET A SALARY. They rely on our generosity

and tips. The mean minded, mean spirited, scrooges here make me ashamed. If you can't afford to tip 10 Baht then do not go out for a drink. Do not come to Thailand.

In the bars I`ve regularly frequented over the years,the tray money has been divided between the staff.I hope it`s not any different in Pattaya.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's not Thailand, in fact it's nothing like real Thailand. Pattaya is one of places on the world list of places mostly for sex tourists.

Regardless of what country these places are located, your going to find lots of 'things' which are a little / a lot outside of the

You choose to go to Pattaya and hang around bars then accept comes with it. Nobody forced you to go to Pattaya, or the similar locations across the whole world.

And when will you realize that the money farang bring into Thailand in these locations is actually a very small part of the Thai economy.

Well said.

There was clearly a misunderstanding

3 beers @THB 45 adds up to THB 145

You gave them THB 170, supposing that the bill would be 3xTHB 55 = THB 165

Since you gave then (probably) more than needed......one note of 100 baht, 3 notes of 20 baht and a coin of 10 baht (or a 20 baht note and a fifty baht note), the cashier expects the change to be tip. Common practice.

If you would have given them THB 150, you would have THB 5 back as change.

That the cashier flipped out is not very nice, but it may be more some disappointment involved.

Above is a clear example an endemic problem a lot of people have -- poor math skills.

It is hard to tell if Joe was drinking while posting his comment, but I think that most will agree that if a person possesses poor math skills, even when they're sober, they will undoubtedly be even less proficient after a single beer or shot of whiskey.

For what it is worth: 3 x 45 = 3 x (40 + 5) = (3 x 40) + (3 x 5) = 120 + 15 = 135

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 1

Sorry, but you have this wrong on a simple matter that the bar referred to is a straight down the line drinking place with food and accommodation on offer. Putting your Pattaya 'label' on all things connected with the town may fit your imagery but doesn't fit the facts of this story so is purely a distraction.

So, just to be clear....

You asked for the price of beer and the bar girl said "55 baht". Your friend said "45 baht". From experience, i've quite often found that when a Thai, say's 45 or 55 they sound very similar. Perhaps this is where the confusion is. You gave them a note too much, hence she thought that was her tip.

Easily done.

Happy New Year to you all.

Edited by Lucifer

Pattya isn't Thailand - London isn't England -Amsterdam isn't Holland - New York isn't America - Rio isn't Brazil blah blah. Countries are only represented by there imaginary rural idyllic past. Or in the case of Thailand the agrarian wilderness of issan. In fact Pattaya is the epitome of Thailand.

Better to give a tip for a good job and no tip for a bad job.

People need to make that distinction , regardless of nationality of the guy/girl tipping.

Good jobs keep me very happy and the tips flow all over the place.

A Win Win situation. thumbsup.gif

Think i will skip the Sang Some coke on the way out.

Have a nice tip.

Tipping can also stop RSI injury. a lot of that about, take care when tipping.

Have a nice tip for the end of the year. wai2.gif

Some bars in that area charge a lower and discounted price (in this case 45) if 3 beers are ordered together (but drunk one after the other) instead if someone orders them one after the other then the full prices apply !

The best way not to get scammed is

• Ask before ordering
  • Check the price on the bill which comes with every drink
  • Look for posters with prices written

I walked into a gogo bar on the beach near so 7 looking at placards displaying 75 baht for draught beer and inside they tried to charge me 100 !

I checked the bill before touching the beer and refused to drink or pay and wanted to leave , the manger asked me what happened so I took her out and showed her the placards to which she agreed on their mistake and charged me 50 baht instead for each of all 3 beers I had there

In the end I called her and paid the bill and left 100 baht as tip and she said sorry once again and said "come back tomorrow"

But yes throughout this communication I was firm and smiling and not abusive or did not raise my voice and did not let the other customers know what was going on ...and I was treated well !!

• Like 1