windows 8.1 adding shortcuts to desktop

pontious

Find the item you want in your Program Files (usually in Local Drive C:) Open the folder. Right click on the Application icon and move the cursor over Send to, and then select Desktop (create shortcut).

Edited by BenCrew

Why create desktop shortcuts when you can create tiles on the Start screen?

All you need to do is to hit the Windows key and start typing the name of the application you want to create a tile for (no need to launch Search first). You'll see it appear in the right hand panel. Right click that and choose either "Pin to Start" or "Pin to taskbar" (the latter adds the shortcut to the Taskbar).

To access the tile (shortcut) on the Start screen, hit the Windows key. You can drag the tile to wherever you wish.

If you don't want a tile, right click it and choose "Unpin from Start", or "Uninstall" even if you want to remove it completely.

I love Windows 8.1: best thing that ever happened to Windows and I hope it stays that way.

• Like 1

When I add a shortcut for anything I get 2 shortcuts - one to the page I want and another one with all the files.

When I delete the ;files one which I do not want the 'other' one goes too.

Any advice for a simpleton?

It sounds like rather than creating a shortcut you are, in fact, saving a webpage <page: save as>.

To create a shortcut to a webpage just drag the URL from the address bar to the desktop and drop it there. Or do <page: add site to start menu> and then drag the link from the start menu to the desktop.

But why not just make a favourite? That's what they are for.

Exactly, but I got the impression that the OP was using Classic Shell, as I am. Tho' now I've got rid of my old XP desktop, the more I get used to Windows 8, the more I like it.

+1 for Classic Shell, wouldn't use 8/8.1 without it. I'm now using Windows 10 technical preview on two of my computers and am glad to say it comes with a functional start button. ^_^

• Like 1

Exactly, but I got the impression that the OP was using Classic Shell, as I am. Tho' now I've got rid of my old XP desktop, the more I get used to Windows 8, the more I like it.

+1 for Classic Shell, wouldn't use 8/8.1 without it. I'm now using Windows 10 technical preview on two of my computers and am glad to say it comes with a functional start button. happy.png

That's good to hear. I really hate 8. Never figured out how to use it before installing Classic Shell and I'm good with computers. A classic Microsoft arrogant move making this 8.1 embarrassment.

Why create desktop shortcuts when you can create tiles on the Start screen?

Because no one in his right mind would ever use the start screen?

Why not? It's the simplest method of accessing anything on the OS. You can even pin folders located anywhere on the OS which obviates the need to use Windows Explorer even. Just right click the folder and choose "Pin to Start". That in itself is an ideal method of accessing important docs quickly.

Don't mind the start screen, it is easy to ignore, and occasionally useful. The full screen apps however are huge step backwards. amazingly stupid!! What is the logic behind having no access to the task bar and no one click way to way to close the app your in?

Could you please give me an example of a full screen app that you run which you say prevents you from accessing the taskbar?

In that respect, hitting the Wimdows key will take you to the Start screen where you can click the tile called "Desktop". But I'll try and find a shorter route for you if you give me the name of an app which runs full screen.

If you are not on the desktop, you can't see the task bar. So for example 'Store'. No taskbar.

But thanks for the tip about the Windows button. That beats dragging the app off to the side and then closing it.

Easy then: hit ALT+ESC. Use the same command to return to your full screen app.

Well that does bring you back to the desktop, but it would be so much better if the taskbar was always there under that full page app. Then you could flip between windows and multitask more easily. Your way takes you back to the desktop, but the app is no longer available until you pop back over. The taskbar makes everything more convenient. they should have included a way to make it pop in at your bidding.

Well that does bring you back to the desktop, but it would be so much better if the taskbar was always there under that full page app. Then you could flip between windows and multitask more easily. Your way takes you back to the desktop, but the app is no longer available until you pop back over. The taskbar makes everything more convenient. they should have included a way to make it pop in at your bidding.

OK, then there's yet another alternative which is to move the mouse to below where the taskbar usually appears. That will bring it into view. To hide it again, move the mouse to above the taskbar.

If this doesn't work for you, right click a blank part of the taskbar and go to Properties. Checkmark the options I have for "Taskbar" and "Navigation" which appear in the screenshot.

post-101376-0-05636400-1419524470_thumb.

Why not? It's the simplest method of accessing anything on the OS. You can even pin folders located anywhere on the OS which obviates the need to use Windows Explorer even. Just right click the folder and choose "Pin to Start". That in itself is an ideal method of accessing important docs quickly.

This has been possible on the regular Windows desktop and start menu for years. The start screen is pointless.

It seems I don't have the option to show Window store apps on taskbar. But as far as I know I am up to date with my 8.1.

Anyhow, thanks for your help, I have learned a few things. Still don't like the full screen apps, but I have a workflow that I am comfortable with.

It seems I don't have the option to show Window store apps on taskbar. But as far as I know I am up to date with my 8.1.

Anyhow, thanks for your help, I have learned a few things. Still don't like the full screen apps, but I have a workflow that I am comfortable with.

There's another alternative which is to split the screen and run several apps together. I'll refer you to the following site for that one since it contains screenshots and is easier to follow than a post on a forum: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-view-side-by-side-apps-in-windows-8-82925262729.html

By the way, I forgot to mention that the ALT+ESC key combination is a means of switching apps. So you need to have at least two of them open for it to work properly. In the screenshot, I have Firefox open along with the Store. The third image is my desktop. To switch between apps, press and hold down ALT and then tap the ESC key to select another one.

As regards your comment about the missing Windows store apps option on the taskbar, check the following.

1. Hit Windows key + i to open the Charms bar and then click "Change PC Settings" at the bottom.
  2. Next, click "PC and devices" to go to the next menu and then click "Corners and edges" in the left hand menu.
  3. In the right hand pane at the top called "App Switching", there should be an option called "Show Windows store apps on the taskbar" which needs to be set to "On".

If it's missing from there too, then you probably don't have the April 8th update installed. It's called KB2919355. You can check by doing the following.

1. Right click the Start button and go to "Programs and Features" at the top.
  2. On the left near the top, click "View installed updates".
  3. In the search field top right, copy/paste KB2919355. If it's installed, it'll appear immediately.
  4. Scroll across to the right hand side and hover the mouse over the "Installed on" column. It should show April 8 or possibly April 9 as the installation date depending on the Time Zone.

See this article regarding errors which may have appeared, or do appear when you try to install it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

post-101376-0-75085800-1419590747_thumb.

Edited by Xircal

This has been possible on the regular Windows desktop and start menu for years. The start screen is pointless.

I don't dispute that for one moment, but with the Start screen, you're now able to have a nice uncluttered desktop if you want to boot directly to that instead of having it adorned with shortcuts, files and folders and the like.

The Start screen though originated from the time Microsoft envisaged that users would happily switch to touchscreen devices and in particular, to its Surface tablet which it expected to sell by the cartload. In that respect, the old XP/7 Start menu wouldn't have been a feasible option to work with hence the Start screen with its tiles.

That didn't happen of course, but to ditch the whole touchscreen orietated OS would have been too costly even for the likes of moneybags M$ I fear.

Personally, I didn't like the Start screen either when I bought my new laptop and even installed Classic Shell myself. But I found certain key presses which were supposed to launch a CS menu did something entirely different and therefore I decided to dump it and learn how to use 8.1 as was intended. I'm glad I did now and really enjoy working with the Metro UI now.

There are also hundreds of sites around the web like this one which for me is attractive since I'm a keyboard fanatic: http://winaero.com/blog/ultimate-list-of-all-windows-keyboard-shortcuts-with-win-keys/

But it's not for everybody I guess.

Don't mind the start screen, it is easy to ignore, and occasionally useful. The full screen apps however are huge step backwards. amazingly stupid!! What is the logic behind having no access to the task bar and no one click way to way to close the app your in?

Agree , windows 7 , for me.

Agree , windows 7 , for me.

FYI: Mainstream support for Windows 7 ends on 13 January next year after which a further five years of Extended support takes effect.

So??? Windows 7 will still receive security updates during the extended support period. Hopefully by the end of life of Windows 7, Windows 10 will be available with a more non-touch user friendly interface... which is what Windows 8 should have been in the first place. No need to jump to the Windows 8 bandwagon. I'm going to stay with Windows 7 for now... IMO, Windows 7 is the best OS released by M$ to date.