Puzzling notice in (some) toilets

giibaht

It's useful shorthand for 'look how at home with local culture I am'.

Something like the people who go on and on about how you should only eat Thai food in Thailand?

Ain't that the truth! I openly admit that I haven't eaten Thai food for over 4 years. 3 years of Asian food 3 times a day turned me off it forever. The only exception is Chinese when we are in England and an occasional home-made beef rendang. Mr K goes out and eats it for lunch most days, but it's home-made fodder pretty much every night for tea. I've got a deep fat fryer and I'm not afraid to use it.

(I don't class Indian/Sri Lankan food as Asian).

• Like 1

So one question is, assuming that you have decent plumbing, does flushing TP into your septic tanks mean that you have to get them pumped out more often?

Grin

Probably yes but....

What exactly is put into the tank and how much, how often? Is the tank treated and if so with what and how often? How large is the tank? Is the sewage pumped with a "Naam" sewage pump before it enters the tank? Does the tank drain or is it fully enclosed?..........

If you are still using toilet paper you are doing it wrong. It is so much more hygienic to use the spray, then just dry with the paper. My main issue with visiting home in UK is that I will have to use toilet paper, it literally disgusts me after years being used to the spray-away method.

Obviously the signs are because they have thinner pipes here because Asians don't clean up the disgusting western way.

Totally agree. Such an erudite post! We will be installing Thai-style squirters in our European home.

If you are still using toilet paper you are doing it wrong. It is so much more hygienic to use the spray, then just dry with the paper. My main issue with visiting home in UK is that I will have to use toilet paper, it literally disgusts me after years being used to the spray-away method.

Obviously the signs are because they have thinner pipes here because Asians don't clean up the disgusting western way.

Totally agree. Such an erudite post! We will be installing Thai-style squirters in our European home.

We would too if it wasn't for the temperature of the European water. Ouch!!

So far, I've only come across such notices in public toilets eg shops, restaurants etc. Subconsciously I thought perhaps they are "old" buildings with antiquated pipings. Or perhaps customers were using toilet papers to dry their hands, in lieu of paper towels, and such quantities of toilet paper will cause blockage. But a regular job should be fine. I can't imagine a new building will have such problems.

But then again, there seems to be something wrong with the way the Thai buildings are constructed. There seems to be a perpetual sewage stench in most places, even newly completed places like Maya and Central Festival. Perhaps someone with knowledge of building construction can weigh in?

It's because hey don't use S traps (or Z traps or U bends, depending on where you come from). No water seal, and the smell of the drains and sewers are going to escape. I read on a different thread yesterday about a hotel room being fumigated and the fumes going through the bathroom drains and up into the next room, and I'm sure some deaths from this method were mentioned. That is a pretty scary thought, I had no idea it could happen. You wouldn't use industrial strength bed bug spray in your own place because we know how toxic it is and how many people died at the Downtown Hotel. Sensible move, but if your neighbour decides to do it, you're pretty much stuffed.

I pointed the lack of S traps out to a friend who was visiting (a plumber) He took a quick glance and said I was wrong, but when I told him to have a proper look at the bathroom sink he was amazed. Like me, he was trying to work out what that bit on the bottom of the pipe is for - it isn't a water seal, so why is it there?

indeed, normally the toilet is connected with the pvc pipe under the toilet but not in Thailand, they just fix the toilet on top of the hole, seal the gap with the floor and that's it..So when using toilet paper, it gets stuck in the space between the toilet and the pipe. The rest you can guess.

So far, I've only come across such notices in public toilets eg shops, restaurants etc. Subconsciously I thought perhaps they are "old" buildings with antiquated pipings. Or perhaps customers were using toilet papers to dry their hands, in lieu of paper towels, and such quantities of toilet paper will cause blockage. But a regular job should be fine. I can't imagine a new building will have such problems.

But then again, there seems to be something wrong with the way the Thai buildings are constructed. There seems to be a perpetual sewage stench in most places, even newly completed places like Maya and Central Festival. Perhaps someone with knowledge of building construction can weigh in?

It's because hey don't use S traps (or Z traps or U bends, depending on where you come from). No water seal, and the smell of the drains and sewers are going to escape. I read on a different thread yesterday about a hotel room being fumigated and the fumes going through the bathroom drains and up into the next room, and I'm sure some deaths from this method were mentioned. That is a pretty scary thought, I had no idea it could happen. You wouldn't use industrial strength bed bug spray in your own place because we know how toxic it is and how many people died at the Downtown Hotel. Sensible move, but if your neighbour decides to do it, you're pretty much stuffed.

I pointed the lack of S traps out to a friend who was visiting (a plumber) He took a quick glance and said I was wrong, but when I told him to have a proper look at the bathroom sink he was amazed. Like me, he was trying to work out what that bit on the bottom of the pipe is for - it isn't a water seal, so why is it there?

indeed, normally the toilet is connected with the pvc pipe under the toilet but not in Thailand, they just fix the toilet on top of the hole, seal the gap with the floor and that's it..So when using toilet paper, it gets stuck in the space between the toilet and the pipe. The rest you can guess.

yes, as I pointed out earlier, it's called a flange...but often the hole is too close to the wall and it doesn't match up, and that is where problems occur.

Wonderful thread. A true demonstration of the intellect and interests of so many of the CM Forum members.

I always find it amazing how often this topic comes up. People who use them seem to love talking about bum guns.

It's useful shorthand for 'look how at home with local culture I am'.
Something like the people who go on and on about how you should only eat Thai food in Thailand?

I think you have me confused with someone else there. Or did you miss the thread where I advised someone on where to get sausage and mash in Bangkok?

yes, as I pointed out earlier, it's called a flange...but often the hole is too close to the wall and it doesn't match up, and that is where problems occur.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Are you guys saying that the outlet of the toilet seat merely sits on top of the PVC disposal pipe, and not sealed together with the pipe (or whatever the technique is called), much like one inserts a freestanding syphon into the neck of a bottle to pour liquid?

That would explain why Thai toilets have an awful smell most times.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Are you guys saying that the outlet of the toilet seat merely sits on top of the PVC disposal pipe, and not sealed together with the pipe (or whatever the technique is called), much like one inserts a freestanding syphon into the neck of a bottle to pour liquid?

That would explain why Thai toilets have an awful smell most times.

yes, especially on retrofits....because the hole is to close to the wall. But, the smell can be because the shower drain shares the sewer pipe....but there is a special drain cover that holds enough water in it, so the air doesn't come through. Haven't seen one here, but they are available. American Standard used to sell the proper install kit for 300, including the wax ring, but last time I checked they were clueless. Putting a rubber mat over the drain might help.

I think you have me confused with someone else there. Or did you miss the thread where I advised someone on where to get sausage and mash in Bangkok?

I think you may have misread UG's comment; I'm 100% certain that it wasn't aimed at you. I didn't read it that way, and anyway - he's far too nice to do such a thing. In the 6 or 7 years I've been on TV, he's probably the only person that I haven't seen having at least one bad day and posting something untoward or making a snappy comment at someone.

(Bangers and roasties for tea tomorrow. Throw in a bit of flour and egg, and we'll have toad in the hole. I don't care for it myself, but it's my husband's favourite meal. That an mince and taties. And there's me with a kitchen full of toys and a very big pantry full of exotic ingredients).

• Like 1

the smell can be because the shower drain shares the sewer pipe..

that is a very poor plumbing practice and I do not think it is really not too common, I have built twice in rural villages with local labor and neither time did they do that and they knew why not to

it is not just the smell, you do not want wash water mixed with toilet water in a septic tank because it is much better to separate them

Wax rings to seal installations are usually found in the box with the toilet and its fittings.

I think you may have misread UG's comment; I'm 100% certain that it wasn't aimed at you. I didn't read it that way, and anyway - he's far too nice to do such a thing. In the 6 or 7 years I've been on TV, he's probably the only person that I haven't seen having at least one bad day and posting something untoward or making a snappy comment at someone.

(Bangers and roasties for tea tomorrow. Throw in a bit of flour and egg, and we'll have toad in the hole. I don't care for it myself, but it's my husband's favourite meal. That an mince and taties. And there's me with a kitchen full of toys and a very big pantry full of exotic ingredients).

Possibly. It's easy to assume the defensive stance when 75% of the replies you receive are childish comments about food courts or bicycle saddles, based on one thread you posted some time ago and a user name you chose on a whim.

• Like 1

I was not referring to you. I was commenting on your comment. I was not thinking of anyone in particular, although Mapguy does spring to mind now that I think about it. biggrin.png

• Like 1

that is a very poor plumbing practice and I do not think it is really not too common, I have built twice in rural villages with local labor and neither time did they do that and they knew why not to

it is not just the smell, you do not want wash water mixed with toilet water in a septic tank because it is much better to separate them

Wax rings to seal installations are usually found in the box with the toilet and its fittings.

And how many roof vents did these experts use? Every large stack is required to have one in most, if not all, of the US. Your systems may have been parallel, but eventually the small pipe connected to the big pipe, before it hit the tank. No roof vent, but likely a periscope looking vent on the tank. Guess what happens when the wind blows towards that vent?

post-227967-0-91315900-1419767751_thumb.

Edited by bangmai
  • Like 1

I was not referring to you. I was commenting on your comment. I was not thinking of anyone in particular, although Mapguy does spring to mind now that I think about it. biggrin.png

In that case, disregard my knee-jerk response...

• Like 2

This is a common phenomenon in Asia, Africa and Latin America.

It has nothing to do with blocking the toilet. If a toilet works fine on the west and flushes, why will it suddenly not work in Antananarrivo, Belo Horizonte, Chiang Mai or Delhi?

It is to do with the plumbing. Often, to save construction costs and due to a lack of regulation, the builders in poorer countries will use narrow pipe to joing the toilet to the septic tank or sewerage system. Toilets typically use a 4" (soil) pipe and in the case of toilets particularly, best building practice suggests runs of soil pipe should avoid bends. If a bend is necessary, it is far better to use a shallow bend rather than say a 90 degree bend. A soil pipe shiould also have a mild incline on it to aid the "discharge" to slide. Meanwhile, a basin or bidet will just use a 2" pipe as few solids larger than nail or beard clippings can fit through a basin/bidet plug hole. Some builders will use a 4" soil pipe initially and then use a reducer to change the soild pipe to 2" in a bid to save money. So if you use a lot of paper it can get blocked if there is a reduction in pipe thickness or say a very sharp bend perhaps on an incline instead of a decline. Some builders, where regulation is lax, will lay pipes by eye rather than use a spirit level so sometimes soild pipe is laid horiziontal or even on an incline!

I built two houses in Thailand for a friend. One for him and one for his mother in law. The house for him had luxury sanitaryware imported from Italy. The house for the mother in law had very cheap sanaitaryware purchased in Thailand. Both use a 4" soild pipe connected to a septic tank I built between the two properties. You can flush toilet paper down either to your heart's content (or until the septic tank is full).

But the cheap Thai-bought toilet (made in China) is particularly prone to collecting skid marks! Everyone who uses it has to clean it with a toilet brush afterwards regardless of the consistency of their discharge. The Italian toilets do not have this problem. Fortunately, the mother in law specified squat toilets in most bathrooms and just a western toilet in the downstairs loo.

The part i don't understand about this is that this is really stupid to request people to throw used, shitty toilet paper in a bin, so that slowly but surely the whole building can smell like excrement because my experience is that they don't pay much attention to emptying the bin.

You're doing it wrong. The paper you throw in the bin shouldn't be shitty.
Not totally true. I've noticed Starbucks and Central Festival and probably other westernized places have no squirter, paper only.

The part i don't understand about this is that this is really stupid to request people to throw used, shitty toilet paper in a bin, so that slowly but surely the whole building can smell like excrement because my experience is that they don't pay much attention to emptying the bin.

Not totally true. I've noticed Starbucks and Central Festival and probably other westernized places have no squirter, paper only.

Do they have a notice telling you not to flush the paper?

It has nothing to do with blocking the toilet. If a toilet works fine on the west and flushes, why will it suddenly not work in Antananarrivo, Belo Horizonte, Chiang Mai or Delhi?

It is to do with the plumbing. Often, to save construction costs and due to a lack of regulation, the builders in poorer countries will use narrow pipe to joing the toilet to the septic tank or sewerage system. Toilets typically use a 4" (soil) pipe and in the case of toilets particularly, best building practice suggests runs of soil pipe should avoid bends. If a bend is necessary, it is far better to use a shallow bend rather than say a 90 degree bend. A soil pipe shiould also have a mild incline on it to aid the "discharge" to slide. Meanwhile, a basin or bidet will just use a 2" pipe as few solids larger than nail or beard clippings can fit through a basin/bidet plug hole. Some builders will use a 4" soil pipe initially and then use a reducer to change the soild pipe to 2" in a bid to save money. So if you use a lot of paper it can get blocked if there is a reduction in pipe thickness or say a very sharp bend perhaps on an incline instead of a decline. Some builders, where regulation is lax, will lay pipes by eye rather than use a spirit level so sometimes soild pipe is laid horiziontal or even on an incline!

I built two houses in Thailand for a friend. One for him and one for his mother in law. The house for him had luxury sanitaryware imported from Italy. The house for the mother in law had very cheap sanaitaryware purchased in Thailand. Both use a 4" soild pipe connected to a septic tank I built between the two properties. You can flush toilet paper down either to your heart's content (or until the septic tank is full).

But the cheap Thai-bought toilet (made in China) is particularly prone to collecting skid marks! Everyone who uses it has to clean it with a toilet brush afterwards regardless of the consistency of their discharge. The Italian toilets do not have this problem. Fortunately, the mother in law specified squat toilets in most bathrooms and just a western toilet in the downstairs loo.

and how did you vent your pipe?

I think they only use a 100mm pipe here rather than 150m. And I agree with you "Flush away" don't want a bucket of shitty bog roll in the house

They use 100mm / 4" in many countries, including much of Europe. The outlet on most pans is 4". The problem is in Thailand and places they then use a reducer and take it down to 75mm / 3" or even 50mm / 2" to save money. They also put too many bends in the pipe runs (which often lack a slope) as they often don't design the pipe system prior to construction on the RC structure and then find a concrete pillar or grade beam in the way!

Is all down to lack of building regulation.

With a vent on top of each soil stack.

Do they have a notice telling you not to flush the paper?
I can't recall but they definitely have a bin for paper, and if it was allowed down the toilet they wouldn't have a bin.

Problem solved if they install a squirter for every toilet.

and through the roof?

and through the roof?

Soils stack is on the exterior of one building. A small masonry chimney is used on the other.

that seems to be the key component that is missing in most of the single family homes, and even if they had them; they still can get birds' nests in them and other debris. It provides the best access to clean the sewer line in many cases.

And how many roof vents did these experts use? Every large stack is required to have one in most, if not all, of the US. Your systems may have been parallel, but eventually the small pipe connected to the big pipe, before it hit the tank. No roof vent, but likely a periscope looking vent on the tank. Guess what happens when the wind blows towards that vent?

Required in Australia too - when we built our house I was disappointed to see the roof line spoilt (in my opinion) by a vent pipe. The builder explained it away by saying it prevented a build up of gases. I'm sure our house in England had one too, and I imagine it would be required if the gas thing wasn't just a tall story.

And for those saying that builders are fitting smaller than 4'' pipes, surely it wouldn't save that much money, would it? In the average house it wouldn't a lot of pipe, so it wouldn't be more than a few dollars difference if I recall correctly from the days when I worked at a pipe factory/distributor in New Zealand.

• Like 1

The small pipes did not connect to the big pipes, they went into separate tanks. I saw it done that way on four different installations. So you are off base with your know it all attitude about things you have not seen.

Soi Biker is right. Use a bum squirter first to clean yourself and dry with toilet tissue. Place toilet tissue in bin, it's not rocket science.

Boy, when I think back to the days of shiny toilet paper in the UK sick.gif

OMG yeah I remember that stuff, absolutely no absorbent properties at all, just smeared everything everywhere. No wonder I had severe dingleberry problems as a boy.