Are all laptops in Thailand overpriced?

Cheesekraft

I'd rather sandpaper my nuts than buy an Apple. Dreadful devices that I genuinely loathe. Windows has never been as bad as people seem to remember. I can't remember the last time I saw that blue screen of death. Boot times may be slower but my PC outperforms a Mac of a similar cost by about 3x. A PC running Linux can be 5 years older than a Mac and kick it into touch too...

To each his own. Disagree with assessment. Anyway...

I'd rather sandpaper my nuts than buy an Apple. Dreadful devices that I genuinely loathe. Windows has never been as bad as people seem to remember. I can't remember the last time I saw that blue screen of death. Boot times may be slower but my PC outperforms a Mac of a similar cost by about 3x. A PC running Linux can be 5 years older than a Mac and kick it into touch too...

You disagree because you're an Apple user. This means you have to find an excuse to have paid ridiculously more than you need to for hardware performance.

You disagree because you're an Apple user. This means you have to find an excuse to have paid ridiculously more than you need to for hardware performance.

People should use the computer they like. Or anything else for that matter.

I used to find it cheaper to buy in the USA, but now it's not

Some examples,

SJCAM sj4000 wifi, 3,300bht in Central Festival, $110 from Amazon.

Trek Fx7.2, 15,000bht Thailand, $490 USA

Acer Aspire E15 quad core, 10,900bht Thailand, $355 USA

The same model name mean not that is the same inside.

If you are not paying attention to the CPU of the laptops you're talking about any discussion of price is trivial.

Some contributors to this thread don't get that.

you are right, not only CPU also Ram and Graphic Card and the software etc the interieur makes the diff. in performace and price.

In Germany is standart that the an OEM version of Windows is inclusive the price.

For example an good ASUS or Acer 15.6" not the top model, but the second inclusive Windows 8 for under 500€.

This remember me onto the early sixtees in germany, when somebody bought a Mercedes some of his neighbours had soon a Mercedes too doens'nt matter it was only a 10 years old second hand.

I was just a status symbol like today Apple today.

The most of the ppl who having an apple can not use 10% of the performance of this unit.

Also a lot of ppl who having an Apple, often buying every second year a new one and can't really afford it, caused their bank account is for years permanent in minus.

Brainwashed by the industry Samsung spend about 25% of his turnover for Advertisment this is just ridiculous.

Wake guys, I bought this year a Nexus 7 was tested same good as the Apple 7 tablet for less then the half price.

in my experience compared to the uk, absolutely. it's the same for photographic equipment. there is just not the high street store/internet competition here and i believe high import duty.

on the other hand mobile phones and tvs seem a little cheaper so... what do i know?!

The cost of comparable Apple products in the UK and Thailand suggest there are exceptions ... a 13-15k saving is a fair chunk of change.

macuk_zps568c9c38.jpg

macthailand_zps651efc0e.jpg

• Like 1

asus is the best value to price brand I've seen. next comes acer

I purchased an Asus laptop within the last year and found it reasonably priced. I was also able to get a get token p/ex for my Lenovo Thinkpad which was driving me crazy with intermittent faults. Visit the second hand shops for discarded Lenovos.

The last Apple I used, the Apple IIe, was wonderful.

This remember me onto the early sixtees in germany, when somebody bought a Mercedes some of his neighbours had soon a Mercedes too doens'nt matter it was only a 10 years old second hand.

I was just a status symbol like today Apple today.

The most of the ppl who having an apple can not use 10% of the performance of this unit.

Also a lot of ppl who having an Apple, often buying every second year a new one and can't really afford it, caused their bank account is for years permanent in minus.

Brainwashed by the industry Samsung spend about 25% of his turnover for Advertisment this is just ridiculous.

Wake guys, I bought this year a Nexus 7 was tested same good as the Apple 7 tablet for less then the half price.

I'm glad you found a good tablet. I bought four Android tablets and they all had issued and I had to return them. All buggy.

Do you overpay for Apple products? They are compatible to similarly equipped PCs.

Look at the satisfaction ratings for Apple products anywhere. Tops.

I wanted to love Windows and Android. However quality control and viruses are an issue.

Anyway as I said before use what you like. I use what I like. My car is a Chrysler and not popular. But it runs great and I love it. I don't care what people think.

Edited by kungpao

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

asus is the best value to price brand I've seen. next comes acer

I purchased an Asus laptop within the last year and found it reasonably priced. I was also able to get a get token p/ex for my Lenovo Thinkpad which was driving me crazy with intermittent faults. Visit the second hand shops for discarded Lenovos.

I'm actually on my first Asus laptop, previously I was a big brander, I owned Sony, Compaq, HP. The problems with the big branders, I can't remember if the warranty was 1 year or 2 years. Exactly on that or close to that warranty expiration date, parts started not functioning properly. HP was the worst, the whole screen when black, you need to hold a flashlight next to it, in order to see anything. The lamp obviously went out, which was absurd, and I hardly do any travelling or open/close lid with it, it was stationary on my desk.

Generally all those big brands, after 2-3 years, started working like elephants. Yes, I do strict maintenance, virus scan, malwares, advanced systemcare, etc.

Asus? Entering my 3rd year, like brand new. No overheating issues or loud fan noise, never had to use ctrl-alt-del to get me out of crashes yet. And like I said, it was the cheapest amongst other brands AND had the best/fastest specs than others. Best value brand, I am hooked as a customer, Asus everything for me from now on.

• Like 2

I'm actually on my first Asus laptop, previously I was a big brander, I owned Sony, Compaq, HP. The problems with the big branders, I can't remember if the warranty was 1 year or 2 years. Exactly on that or close to that warranty expiration date, parts started not functioning properly. HP was the worst, the whole screen when black, you need to hold a flashlight next to it, in order to see anything. The lamp obviously went out, which was absurd, and I hardly do any travelling or open/close lid with it, it was stationary on my desk.

Generally all those big brands, after 2-3 years, started working like elephants. Yes, I do strict maintenance, virus scan, malwares, advanced systemcare, etc.

Asus? Entering my 3rd year, like brand new. No overheating issues or loud fan noise, never had to use ctrl-alt-del to get me out of crashes yet. And like I said, it was the cheapest amongst other brands AND had the best/fastest specs than others. Best value brand, I am hooked as a customer, Asus everything for me from now on.

Asus builds some fine pieces of kit. My 5 year old UL80VT is still chugging along, having been literally around the world and dropped several times.

The N56V didn't last so long (just past the warranty), but it was the exception. That was replaced by an Lenovo Y500 which was bought for Steam games on the go and it has been ticking along quite nicely.

chromebooks only run google programs so they are not useful for someone needing to do a variety of tasks on a computer; this is the same reason I must avoid Apple (the programs I use most won't run), although they are pretty machines.

Edited by Cheesekraft
  • Like 1

I'm glad you found a good tablet. I bought four Android tablets and they all had issued and I had to return them. All buggy.

Do you overpay for Apple products? They are compatible to similarly equipped PCs.

Look at the satisfaction ratings for Apple products anywhere. Tops.

I wanted to love Windows and Android. However quality control and viruses are an issue.

Anyway as I said before use what you like. I use what I like. My car is a Chrysler and not popular. But it runs great and I love it. I don't care what people think.

People often use and keep using what they are used to. That in itself is not an objective reason to stick to a certain brand or product. It is also a common misconception to directly compare Android and Apple tablets. The Ipad is a single product. Both hardware and software are from the same manufacturer. Android tablets come from a huge variety of manufacturers and with lots of software differences. This also means there are lots of low quality tablets on the market, especially in Asia. As a simple rule: stay well away from Mediatek based products.

It's not fair to compare low or even midrange android tablets with Ipads. Instead look at high end models such as the Google Nexus series, the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro or the Asus Transformer series. Those are extremely fast tablets for a relatively good price. They even allow for quite some productive work thanks to MS Office conpatible clones and of course Google Apps. Word and Excel are now natively supported and functioning well, also in Google's cloud. For many things Windows isn't needed anymore. Android would be fine for 90% of all users.

Ipads are perfect for what they are capable of which is purely consuming information. On the productive side they are well behind. Remember Apple is not much more than a manufacturer whereas Google is more about the services behind the technology. That's a key difference.

And Android has other benefits over Apple that I won't discuss here.

• Like 2