New owner CBR 300 2015 yet

Rhys

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations. I sure miss my old carb'd CBR150!

Could I recommend looking at Grim DBS exhaust? I have the carbon fibre triangle version on my Ninja 250 and it sounds pretty good.

I made sure to order it with the dB killer installed along with the O2 bung welded in. Was easy to install. Looks like a full system for your bike is less than 10k. It probably won't add much power, but gets rid of the cat and a whole bunch of other weight.

Thanks.. I'll check out the page.. then you would not recommend a slip on system... A full system is what you suggest.. the price is good..

Cheers

This is available in BKK..right?

I don't know where the catalytic convertor is in the CBR300. If it's in the can, than most of the weight savings will come from a slip on.

However(!), you then have the look of a slip on stuck onto a stock exhaust. A bit goofy looking to me, but a personal choice. The fact the header and other pipes only costs ~2500 baht makes it a bit of a no-brainer in my book.

I believe he is based in BKK, but I just had him ship it up to my moo ban. Delivery was quick and it was wrapped with bubble sheets inside a sturdy cardboard box. Easy enough to install. A Thai mate and I did it ourself. Ran the engine until at operating temperature and then let it cool enough to not burn the sh!t out of our hands. Loosened the header bolts, removed the hanger bolt and took the whole assembly off in one piece. The new spring attachments were mounted on the head and then the headers were installed. Took a bit of twisting and lining up (take your time and make sure it's good so there's no exhaust leaks). Then loosely installed the exhaust hanger strap and slid the can into it. Put the inter-pieces up and again twisted and lined everything up. A final tightening of the exhaust hanger and I was ready to ride.

Aloha

I had the new Exhaust system installed... the Akparvico (sp) wow this sounds like a bomb now.. I did not expect the increased vibration, and I wonder if that is not a good thing for the bike? Also, is there a Street Legal Noise ordinance in Thailand? I think not.

Since my Thai skills are not that good, I ask my questions on line.. for the SAVY riders... it appears my hands are too small for the clutch and brake levels, are their any kind of adjustable clutch and brake levels? I would not know were to buy these.. it makes a slight difference when shifting.. on the CBR 150 it is small are reaches the knuckles.. on the 300 CBR it is at the reach is just below of the finger tips.

Thanks for the suggestion..

On the pegs..

you can find a lot of adjustable lever choices.

Check K Speed Bangkok, bikers.co.th. cbr250r levers most probably fit as well.

and also please post a photo of your bike with akrapovic pipe man!

Edited by ll2

YES.. it is the Thai version of the A-systems.. seems to work just fine.. LOUD... The guys at the shop made the call for me.. it was done on line.. A link back.. Praram6... Look for the post it is up by the JJ area and the shopping area..

It's taking some time to adjust the bike to my specs.. and you know what.. I don't have the time to ride it.. shock.. 3 week now, and I have only taken it out 6 times..

I know many of you will say you need more time on the bike.. But I did not have the ops to test ride this.. Sat on the Repisol version in the shop..

But you know what.. I am finding.. to my shock... I don't like the bike right now... another shock...generally, I would be out on the street getting used to the balance and all that..

So now.. it just sits... No.. I will keep it...

YES.. it is the Thai version of the A-systems.. seems to work just fine.. LOUD... The guys at the shop made the call for me.. it was done on line.. A link back.. Praram6... Look for the post it is up by the JJ area and the shopping area..

It's taking some time to adjust the bike to my specs.. and you know what.. I don't have the time to ride it.. shock.. 3 week now, and I have only taken it out 6 times..

I know many of you will say you need more time on the bike.. But I did not have the ops to test ride this.. Sat on the Repisol version in the shop..

But you know what.. I am finding.. to my shock... I don't like the bike right now... another shock...generally, I would be out on the street getting used to the balance and all that..

Odd to say you don't like it. I think if you get out and ride it more it will grow on you. I'll agree it's not the nicest looking 300 type bike out there but it's not that bad.

no remorse no regret no retreat bro!

it is a good bike and you are the one does not want to ride it.

maybe riding it in the city makes you nervous. why dont you ride it somewhere you can feel good? like back beach roads to Hua Hin where you can enjoy sea breeze and some sea food.

balance thing is easy. just you need to ride it more! it is a great bike you are owning now and it is a forgiving, balanced, light, easy to ride bike too which will make you learn faster.

• 4 weeks later...

still no increased incentive to ride...modification continue... levers replaced, easier pull, now seat recovering... thinking about replacing the baffle.. but still loud is good.

Maybe a long drive by the beach as you have suggested... Cheers

I don't know if the CBR300 has an elbow on the airbox, but the Ninja 250 and CB*500 series do. Remove it for a bit of sound and a by the butt improvement in the mid range (although that could just be a trick of the mind due to the intake draw being audible).

I don't know if the CBR300 has an elbow on the airbox, but the Ninja 250 and CB*500 series do. Remove it for a bit of sound and a by the butt improvement in the mid range (although that could just be a trick of the mind due to the intake draw being audible).

Actually, the system Thai Akprakovic (?).. has the screw it in type , so it is easy to R n R .. now ordering those seat cover air cushions, from the Mocy-cool set... how many times have we had a REAL hot one beneath our legs.. 5555

DAVE, What is your opinion on taking a long ride solo or with a group?

Actually, what I miss is a dirt bike... plenty of places in my neck of the chanabot..

Actually, the system Thai Akprakovic (?).. has the screw it in type , so it is easy to R n R .. now ordering those seat cover air cushions, from the Mocy-cool set... how many times have we had a REAL hot one beneath our legs.. 5555

Actually, what I miss is a dirt bike... plenty of places in my neck of the chanabot..

Sorry, I apparently didn't explain myself well. The elbow (snorkel is the word I should have used) is on the air box, i.e. the part that holds your air filter. You can see it in the picture below.

hm0713085003.gif

Now, the solo versus group ride question.

I've done both. Have many more km under my belt solo. It is the easiest way to get going if you get an urge (gotta keep it clean apparently) to satisfy your wanderlust. You also are not working around other people's schedules. Nor their personalities. You can travel at your own pace and explore as you wish.

However, you lose out on the comradeship. The chat when stopped at lights. The shared knowledge of a better route (or the best way through a poor road). You have nobody to help you should you go down. You don't have a drinking buddy at the end of the day to shoot the <self deleted> with as you nurse the road pains with a brewski. You don't have anybody who perhaps captured that nice video of you carving a corner. You can't share pictures. ETC.

In the end, a lot of times I prefer the solo ride. I'd recommend most anybody I've ridden with before to ride with; just don't follow ll2's directions (love you man...but you can't give directions worth <self deleted>). Gweiloman's great to ride with and usually brings a pillion which is nice if you ride with one, macknife has an interesting rain coat (IIRC) and keeps a really good pace, billd has a nice steady rate of riding that allows you to really see what's going on, nebula likes to follow and will match any pace (although won't watch out for your license plate falling off - no I will never let him live that down), edumdchia never does anything unexpected but his tiny fuel tank sure enforces ~hourly stops, humblejo will actually give good directions, etc.

Sorry, I apparently didn't explain myself well. The elbow (snorkel is the word I should have used) is on the air box, i.e. the part that holds your air filter. You can see it in the picture below.

hm0713085003.gif

Now, the solo versus group ride question.

I've done both. Have many more km under my belt solo. It is the easiest way to get going if you get an urge (gotta keep it clean apparently) to satisfy your wanderlust. You also are not working around other people's schedules. Nor their personalities. You can travel at your own pace and explore as you wish.

However, you lose out on the comradeship. The chat when stopped at lights. The shared knowledge of a better route (or the best way through a poor road). You have nobody to help you should you go down. You don't have a drinking buddy at the end of the day to shoot the <self deleted> with as you nurse the road pains with a brewski. You don't have anybody who perhaps captured that nice video of you carving a corner. You can't share pictures. ETC.

In the end, a lot of times I prefer the solo ride. I'd recommend most anybody I've ridden with before to ride with; just don't follow ll2's directions (love you man...but you can't give directions worth <self deleted>). Gweiloman's great to ride with and usually brings a pillion which is nice if you ride with one, macknife has an interesting rain coat (IIRC) and keeps a really good pace, billd has a nice steady rate of riding that allows you to really see what's going on, nebula likes to follow and will match any pace (although won't watch out for your license plate falling off - no I will never let him live that down), edumdchia never does anything unexpected but his tiny fuel tank sure enforces ~hourly stops, humblejo will actually give good directions, etc.

dave;

look bro, you made this direction thing a big fuss and i hold myself not to break your heart because you are good buddy of mine and enjoy riding and meeting with you man but it was your ride and in the morning when we meet you, you were not even aware which way we were heading and you told me to lead the group! so basically it was totally your problem that day not mine and i am sure the riders that day can say the same.

i have a pretty good direction sense but that day basically i was thinking like it was your ride and i though that you did your homework by studying the route before coming and leading us .

but no you did not and in the morning and after you lead us to the hardest rain i see that year i had to involuntary lead the group. you made us wet in the middle of nowhere and it was cold too which again you dont have an idea of and again wanted me to lead the group.

so, man, if i was planning that ride, i lead people nicely and do not drag them to the middle of f////in nowhere in the dark until we got wet like rats or sick from our balls:) which i am sure you remember i told you not going from that route and go directly to Bangkok as i was seeing the rain coming hard.

please do not try to push your disorganization from that ride to me bro:)

dont get me angry bro, just wanted to clear. it is the friends criticizing us the best.

Edited by ll2

dave;

look bro, you made this direction thing a big fuss and i hold myself not to break your heart because you are good buddy of mine and enjoy riding and meeting with you man but it was your ride and in the morning when we meet you, you were not even aware which way we were heading and you told me to lead the group! so basically it was totally your problem that day not mine and i am sure the riders that day can say the same.

i have a pretty good direction sense but that day basically i was thinking like it was your ride and i though that you did your homework by studying the route before coming and leading us .

but no you did not and in the morning and after you lead us to the hardest rain i see that year i had to involuntary lead the group. you made us wet in the middle of nowhere and it was cold too which again you dont have an idea of and again wanted me to lead the group.

so, man, if i was planning that ride, i lead people nicely and do not drag them to the middle of f////in nowhere in the dark until we got wet like rats or sick from our balls:) which i am sure you remember i told you not going from that route and go directly to Bangkok as i was seeing the rain coming hard.

please do not try to push your disorganization from that ride to me bro:)

dont get me angry bro, just wanted to clear. it is the friends criticizing us the best.

You are right, it was my ride. And in the planning stages I left it open to those who knew Bangkok to get us out of there as quickly as possible. I stood my that decision that morning and you took the lead to the detriment of the group. As soon as we eventually made it out of BKK, I quickly got us (with the exception of going through Suphanburi (which was still a nice diversion for those who had never been there) rather than outside of it.

Things continued swimmingly until you took it upon yourself to lead the group as you thought we were losing time and you had to get back to BKK. Again I should have insisted that it was my ride, but I am an amiable sort of fellow. A bunch of waffling and backtracking on resulted from your leading the group whilst you consulted the GPS on your phone. Had we continued on the way I had planned (i.e. had I actually been stern enough to say "f/// you man...go on your way if you'd like", we would have been on the [309] shortly and there would have been no issues. Instead we ended up heading west again into the storm. Lesson learned on my part.

It's funny; you agree that every time you took control of the situation and it went all pear shaped. And blaming the weather on me...wow.

P.S.

Rhys, this is what you have to deal with when riding with a group. Please study what happened and decide if it's for you.

I cant accept u both fighting over this hahah. Since I mentioned before u are my best buddies. Lets just remember the good parts. So for example when u couldnt start ur CB it was LL who came to help, this is a positive when riding in a group. I wouldnt be able to do it except give the push only. And about the licence plate. I was practicing a bit my leaning non existing skills at that park which made me laugh at myself coz I almost went outside the road 2-3 times. So you were out of my sight and when i reached u then I immediately saw the plate is missing. There was no way I see when it has fallen.

I have a CBR250 with over 80,000 km on the clock. A daily city commuter. 25km each way along one of the main roads in to the city. Pretty much the same as the '300' except for the longer stroke etc. Hasn't really missed a beat and I run it into the ground.

The only thing is that it eats Cam Shaft Tensioners every 20-30k km. Hardly trouble or expensive to renew, you'll hear the camchain knocking which goes as soon as you pull in the clutch.

I cant accept u both fighting over this hahah. Since I mentioned before u are my best buddies. Lets just remember the good parts. So for example when u couldnt start ur CB it was LL who came to help, this is a positive when riding in a group. I wouldnt be able to do it except give the push only. And about the licence plate. I was practicing a bit my leaning non existing skills at that park which made me laugh at myself coz I almost went outside the road 2-3 times. So you were out of my sight and when i reached u then I immediately saw the plate is missing. There was no way I see when it has fallen.

It's all in humour man. It's my fault; when I noticed the first bolt pulled through I should have just yanked it all the way off and thrown it in my box...if I had room since I was carrying your shoes (again a love jab dude).

Would you be willing to spend a weekend going to Umphang in about 4 months?

Is the front sprocket the same as the 250?

If so, Tyga do a 13T for about 750b.

Dropping one tooth on the front really wakes up the little 250, likely the same on the 300.

A K&N airfilter also increased the low and mid end nicely.

Two cheap mods (probably 750b and 1,500b) that wake up the bike, particularly in the low and mid range.

Is the front sprocket the same as the 250?

If so, Tyga do a 13T for about 750b.

Dropping one tooth on the front really wakes up the little 250, likely the same on the 300.

A K&N airfilter also increased the low and mid end nicely.

Two cheap mods (probably 750b and 1,500b) that wake up the bike, particularly in the low and mid range.

I went the other way with my Ninja 250...but than again the nearest 7-11 was as far as your daily commute, so you can imagine I valued the less buzzy engine over a longer distance.

It's all in humour man. It's my fault; when I noticed the first bolt pulled through I should have just yanked it all the way off and thrown it in my box...if I had room since I was carrying your shoes (again a love jab dude).

Would you be willing to spend a weekend going to Umphang in about 4 months?

I know u were joking. No problem. There was room in my tank bag for the plate since my shoes were with u .hahaha. I would like to go to a trip anywhere just cant confirm now for after 4 months. Around the end of June, start July. Let see.

I know u were joking. No problem. There was room in my tank bag for the plate since my shoes were with u .hahaha. I would like to go to a trip anywhere just cant confirm now for after 4 months. Around the end of June, start July. Let see.

And it took me like a week of airing everything out afterwards. cheesy.gif

I'll give you a shout then. Would leaving out a Friday afternoon and getting a cheap room that night up in Nakhon Sawan be cool? That way others could join us (possibly even Shurup?). We could then do the run down up to Umphang and back to Mae Sot where we'd stay the night and then back to BKK that Sunday. Would stay off the [1]/[32] south of Nakhon Sawan so that you'd get back at a reasonable hour.

Thanks guys.. stateside and back in the day on the KZ 750 I rode ALONE.. the coast highway was a favorite. As you stated the flexibility and going at your own pace is a plus.

I think, I'm going to do this alone down to Phuket or Phang Nga...

Thanks the Ph.D.. and diagram explanation.. I'm sorry, I on the lower level.. It just sound loud.. cheers mates.

wai2.gif

• 10 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have one and like it a lot. I live in Bangkok and it's great for city riding. It does a good job on the highway as well. It can cruise at 120-140 all day. I've ridden it to Chiang Mai and Ko Lanta both in one day.

It's a great bike for new riders since it has ABS and is quite light with manageable power delivery.

I have a channel on YouTube where you can see some videos I made on that bike.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8UMAGT6ao5Q-Vf3kYfgMQ/feed

Cheers,

The video is excellent.. Thanks for insights... especially on the exhaust pipe issue..

Thus you have been on the bike for long rides.. I'm thinking of going to Phuket.. Travel in group or go it alone..an issues.. would hate to get stuck on a back road..

Cheers

Sawasdee Be Mai

If you have an android phone, google maps does a bang up job for navigation.

I find WAZE even better. Especially is more densely populated areas. More up to date with road closures and one way systems.

I'm curious so a few questions for you guys

Why did you choose the CBR300 and not the CB300F or Yamaha R3 or MT03 or Ninja 300?

Why not even the honda 500's? for an extra 80,000.

I keep hearing that the oil keeps leaking on the CB300F, is this also happening on the CBR300? If not, why? Isn't it the exact same engine?

Reason I chose the cbr300r... Prefer the look over the cb300f...

The bike is dirt cheap when compared to the Ninja and R3.

The little bike is only a commuter if you want power dont get and r3 or Ninja 300.. Get a bigger capacity bike.

Sent from my c64

Edited by wow64