Train to Malaysia

Bear in mind that many trains from Surat Thani get busy so you may have to book a fair bit in advance.

It is a pretty nifty little trip down to Penang where the food is great. Shame is that by the time the train hits Surat Thani the restaurant car is closed which is the highlight of the trip for many.

flights SURAT THANI - KL can be incredibly cheap, as they are obviously not very popular.

it can not hurt to have a look at skyscanner or the usual suspects.

plus KL is a lot nicer to spend a day or two than just to hang out around the border or continue all the way to Georgetown by train (very time-consuming)

• Like 1

flights SURAT THANI - KL can be incredibly cheap, as they are obviously not very popular.

it can not hurt to have a look at skyscanner or the usual suspects.

plus KL is a lot nicer to spend a day or two than just to hang out around the border or continue all the way to Georgetown by train (very time-consuming)

I'm doing something wrong - £635 return with Air Aisia! cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3- cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--ZvISAZ3-

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#search;f=URT;t=KUL;q=flights+surat+thani+to+kuala+lumpur;d=2015-01-29;r=2015-02-02

R

Edited by robsamui

In the last hour I've found current Air Asia prices from Surat to KL - leaving at the realistic time of 1:00 pm - 2,260 baht return flight, including taxes and surcharges. (Plus the fact that the return flight gets to Surat at 1:00 pm, leaving plenty of time to go to the ferry.)

Considering I was going to do what I've always done and bus it to Penang (12-hour trip costing the best part of 1,000 baht each way) this is amazing - no contest!

Sorry Jim, I'll miss you and chatting in Jim's Place - but I won't be visiting you again this year - the first time for 16 years!

R

Even cheaper coming back! Amazingly 630 baht (yes, baht not ringgit) including taxes etc!

One hour and 35 minutes (not including waiting time at the airport) and cheaper than a 12-hour bus trip!

(This is the price with hand luggage only - no more than 7Kg. Excess costs 520 baht per Kg.)

IRONIC NOTE - after having paid 630 baht to travel 900 kilometers, travelers will then pay the same amount to go from Nathon to Chaweng by (spit spit) taxi. Funny old life, eh?

15646752604_92429dbc47_c.jpg

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1