Re-entry Permit, just got one

I arrived last year with a non-immigrant O visa, multiple entry. Then when I got a retirement extension, I lost the multiple entry feature, so I had to get a re-entry permit recently for my trip to India.

I'd heard that you can get a re-entry permit at the airport, but there seemed to be some confusion (maybe in my head only?) about doing it that way, so just to be on the safe side, I dropped by the airport here in Chiang Mai and asked about it. They were very nice and told me if I'm flying out of the country directly from CNX, that's the way to do it. However, if I have to fly out from Bangkok, which I will have to do this time around, then I need to get the re-entry permit at BKK. They told me it might be easier to just go to the Immigration Dept in CM and get it, in case Immigration at BKK is too busy when I get there, or my flight is late arriving there, or whatever.

So, I went over to CM Immigration and got the permit, getting there at 8am and out by 9, real simple.

BTW, I took advantage of India's new 30-day visa-on-arrival process. You have to apply online, and they said the reply would come within 72 hours, but I got the approval notice in 5 hours. There's a list of 40 countries in the world that can apply like this, including the States and Thailand, but not England or Canada, for some reason(s).