Where to buy vitamins/supplements in Chiang Mai?

kaiyoma

No there isn't. But www.iherb.com has an excellent promotion at the moment. US $2.00 post to Thailand for up to 2 kg. i believe. Use promo code GEV414 for further discounts.

Agreed. I have ordered to CM twice without delay or incident.

They have been great in the past but have not used them recently. Used to get 4 or 5 bottles, each 4-5 inches tall, at a time without duty.

Approximately what size boxes are you receiving duty free or are you paying duties. If so, what %?

Thanks for a current update.

Edited by Dante99

No there isn't. But www.iherb.com has an excellent promotion at the moment. US $2.00 post to Thailand for up to 2 kg. i believe. Use promo code GEV414 for further discounts.

They have been great in the past but have not used them recently. Used to get 4 or 5 bottles, each 4-5 inches tall, at a time without duty.

Approximately what size boxes are you receiving duty free or are you paying duties. If so, what %?

Thanks for a current update.

I've never paid duty once. I just checked my order history and have ordered 8 times since 2011. We usually order about 5 or 6 bottles of 100-120 capsules. I can't say about the actual size of the boxes as I don't see any empty iHerb boxes laying around.

• Like 1

I've used iherb for some time and no problems to date.

I usually keep orders below $50 which includes the postage.

• Like 2

I've used iherb for some time and no problems to date.

I usually keep orders below $50 which includes the postage.

Same here, usually never more than US $50.00 or I make another order a few days later. But iherb never includes an invoice either.

iHerb-logo-green.png

1. Why is International Airmail no longer a flat rate of $4?

We recently adjusted the rate charges (see rates below) for international airmail. The price you see is the shipping rate that we are charged by the carrier, based on the shipping weight, to have an order shipped to your country. In the past we have subsidized these rates and charged a flat fee. If your order is over $20 you will see an extra discount on your shipping cost, so your shipping rate can be as low as only $2.00. Even with these shipping rate changes, we still offer the best overall value for orders over $40.

Up to 1 pound = $4.45
From 1 pound to 2 pounds = $8.90
From 2 pounds to 3 pounds = $13.35
From 3 pounds to 4 pounds = $17.80

iHerb-logo-green.png

We recently adjusted the rate charges (see rates below) for international airmail. The price you see is the shipping rate that we are charged by the carrier, based on the shipping weight, to have an order shipped to your country. In the past we have subsidized these rates and charged a flat fee. If your order is over $20 you will see an extra discount on your shipping cost, so your shipping rate can be as low as only $2.00. Even with these shipping rate changes, we still offer the best overall value for orders over $40.

Up to 1 pound = $4.45

Except they never charge that much money. 2 kg. is usually US $4.00, so I guess they always subsidize the shipping cost.

Where does iHerb ship from? How long does it take for a shipment to arrive to CM?

I have received about 8 shipments from them. It has been as fast as 8 days and as long as 21. Only once did I have to pay duty. It was about a $78 order and I had to pay I believe it was 495 baht. I am completely satisfied with the product and the price from them.

All I know is it is shipped from the states.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Just to muddy the works a bit, or to provide a comparison, I've ordered from Barlowes Herbal Elixers which is located in Florida. Here, too, the service was excellent and there was no duty tax imposed on my order to Chiang Mai. My order was a bit over US$100; they accept Master Card, VISA, and PayPal.

https://barlowesherbalelixirs.com/

iHerb-logo-green.png

Up to 1 pound = $4.45

Except they never charge that much money. 2 kg. is usually US $4.00, so I guess they always subsidize the shipping cost.

and as of yesterday it was $2.00 for a one pound order

Just to muddy the works a bit, or to provide a comparison, I've ordered from Barlowes Herbal Elixers which is located in Florida. Here, too, the service was excellent and there was no duty tax imposed on my order to Chiang Mai. My order was a bit over US$100; they accept Master Card, VISA, and PayPal.

Nothing wrong with having honest posting here. My question is how often have you used them or was this just a one time order. As I have said and several others we have used them more than once and are happy with iHerb.

I presume you are happy with the quality of their products.

Appears to be a very limited product selection unless I missed something.

Go to Sandy's near the Chiang Mai gate. They have a lot of supplements there.

There is also another Sandy's on the highway past central festival on the right hand side attached to that little mall area that has a Rimping, 7 11, Macdonalds and Tom Tom Coffee. I actually like that Sandy's better then the Gate one, it is bigger and has more selection, also like the staff there as well.

Go to Sandy's near the Chiang Mai gate. They have a lot of supplements there.

There is also another Sandy's on the highway past central festival on the right hand side attached to that little mall area that has a Rimping, 7 11, Macdonalds and Tom Tom Coffee. I actually like that Sandy's better then the Gate one, it is bigger and has more selection, also like the staff there as well.

Is that the little plaza in front of the bus station? I think I know what you're talking about, but didn't know Sandy's was in there. Will check it out, thanks.

I order from Simply Supplements in Uk and keep it below 20gbp per order; so far no customs problem.

Reliable supplier with good range, prices and fast despatch.

SS are based in Channel Islands like many, so they can pay less tax and charge less for their stuff. Works for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently went to the local post office to pick up a small box of supplements shipped to me by a friend who owns a vitamin center/shop in California -- 2400 baht fee from behind the window!!

That's never happened before. Most I ever paid before was 70 baht. Not sure what triggered the fee this time (though can never rule out being conned).

USPS, plain packaging, generic 'from' address, small box, no bill. Only thing he did was insure the contents (retail value $300) but as far as the contents went it would weigh in the same as an under $50 order (Japanese Pro-Biotics are small but pricy)

AND that was a free package to me. Makes me skittish to accept another free or wholesale order from him.

The guy at the Post Office blamed it on the 'military' using x-ray on anything and everything entering the country.

iherb is the place to go for certain, quality brands at a fraction of the price of generic ones available here, I even get groceries and such on there. Don't bother with the $2 codes, there are much better discount codes available

+1

Recently went to the local post office to pick up a small box of supplements shipped to me by a friend who owns a vitamin center/shop in California -- 2400 baht fee from behind the window!!

That's never happened before. Most I ever paid before was 70 baht. Not sure what triggered the fee this time (though can never rule out being conned).

USPS, plain packaging, generic 'from' address, small box, no bill. Only thing he did was insure the contents (retail value $300) but as far as the contents went it would weigh in the same as an under $50 order (Japanese Pro-Biotics are small but pricy)

AND that was a free package to me. Makes me skittish to accept another free or wholesale order from him.

The guy at the Post Office blamed it on the 'military' using x-ray on anything and everything entering the country.

The reason you had to pay duty was because the package was insured. It doesn't matter how much the insurance was for, there is a mandatory fee to be paid for the insured package. Never receive an insured package unless it is a priceless item. Every country has a different fee. In Thailand it is 2400 Baht minimum. My friend in Bangkok was sent 2 CD's that a friend burned for him - total value about US $1.00. But the friend insured the package for the minimum amount of insurance available from the USPS which is/was US $50.00 and only costs a couple of dollars, so my friend could track the package. It cost my friend 2400 Baht to receive a package worth US $1.00!

I learned my lesson when I shipped a package to myself in Spain while on a trip to the USA. I sent myself a large box of used clothes, some paperback books, etc. The postal clerk recommended I buy US $50.00 in insurance so I could track the box. About a month later a huge postal truck came to my small village with my box (and about 15 forms to sign). The guy had driven all the way from the main postal center about 75 km away. He demanded 140 Euros in duty. I questioned how the duty could be 140 Euros on a package insured for only US $50.00 and 140 Euros was the minimum in Spain for processing an insured package. He even asked me why I insured the package. That was an expensive lesson learned.

• Like 2

The reason you had to pay duty was because the package was insured. It doesn't matter how much the insurance was for, there is a mandatory fee to be paid for the insured package. Never receive an insured package unless it is a priceless item. Every country has a different fee. In Thailand it is 2400 Baht minimum. My friend in Bangkok was sent 2 CD's that a friend burned for him - total value about US $1.00. But the friend insured the package for the minimum amount of insurance available from the USPS which is/was US $50.00 and only costs a couple of dollars, so my friend could track the package. It cost my friend 2400 Baht to receive a package worth US $1.00!

I learned my lesson when I shipped a package to myself in Spain while on a trip to the USA. I sent myself a large box of used clothes, some paperback books, etc. The postal clerk recommended I buy US $50.00 in insurance so I could track the box. About a month later a huge postal truck came to my small village with my box (and about 15 forms to sign). The guy had driven all the way from the main postal center about 75 km away. He demanded 140 Euros in duty. I questioned how the duty could be 140 Euros on a package insured for only US $50.00 and 140 Euros was the minimum in Spain for processing an insured package. He even asked me why I insured the package. That was an expensive lesson learned.

Thank you that is good information to have.

There is a GNC at Kad Suan Kaew mall on the west side of town...

I thought perhaps I was loosing my mind when I read your response that no, there is not a GNC at Kad Suan Kaew... I know there was as I've been by there a dozen times... I was on that side of town today, so decided to stop into KSK to check... Sure enough, there is a GNC in KSK, it is on the 2nd floor and it is open...

Perhaps you should do a fact check before more or less calling someone a liar... coffee1.gif

There is a GNC at Kad Suan Kaew mall on the west side of town...

I thought perhaps I was loosing my mind when I read your response that no, there is not a GNC at Kad Suan Kaew... I know there was as I've been by there a dozen times... I was on that side of town today, so decided to stop into KSK to check... Sure enough, there is a GNC in KSK, it is on the 2nd floor and it is open...

Perhaps you should do a fact check before more or less calling someone a liar... coffee1.gif

OP "Is there a good shop in Chiang Mai for buying vitamins/supplements?..."

Response "No there isn't."

Nothing to do with whatever you wrote. I never said anything about KSK and a shop in there. Perhaps you should do a fact check before more or less calling someone a liar... coffee1.gif

Judging by a recent lab report, what you read on the label is not always what you get in the bottle - even from some trusted names.

This, for example, was how world leader GNC fared in tests for their herbal supplements in the US.

GNC:

• Six "Herbal Plus" brand herbal supplements per store were purchased and analyzed: Gingko Biloba, St. John's Wort, Ginseng, Garlic, Echinacea, and Saw Palmetto. Purchased from four locations with representative stores in Binghamton, Harlem, Plattsburgh & Suffolk.
  • Only one supplement consistently tested for its labeled contents: Garlic. One bottle of Saw Palmetto tested positive for containing DNA from the saw palmetto plant, while three others did not. The remaining four supplement types yielded mixed results, but none revealed DNA from the labeled herb.
  • Of 120 DNA tests run on 24 bottles of the herbal products purchased, DNA matched label identification 22% of the time.
  • Contaminants identified included asparagus, rice, primrose, alfalfa/clover, spruce, ranuncula, houseplant, allium, legume, saw palmetto, and Echinacea.

Full report here

New York Times article here

Buyer beware

• Like 1