Thai Driving License

Hi,

My Thai Driving Licence is about to due.

Does anyone know what documents are required to renew the Thai Driving Licence ?

Is the letter of residence needed again ?

How about the practical test ? I remebered taking it the first time applying for it. But for renewal, does this has to be tested again ?

Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know what documents are required to renew the Thai Driving Licence ?

How about the practical test ? I remebered taking it the first time applying for it. But for renewal, does this has to be tested again ?

Thanks

Yes, you do need a letter of residence (for each licence), but you will not need to take any tests again.

Also, you do not need a Doctor's certificate.

I just got my five year license. This was issued at Chonburi. I took in my passport and two sets of signed photocopies of all the relevant pages of my passport. The same with my work permit. I was not required to submit a certificate of residence. You will need two one inch colour photos and something like 505 baht.

You will not be required to take any tests....unless you really want to.(kidding)

I picked up my new 5 year license on last visit to C.M.in March and would confirm all of above.

To play safe I also had copies of my NONi "O"and PP front pages.

Also showed my national license (UK/EU )to them but they were not particulary interested.

I changed my residence address (again)so needed to re register at immigration first....easy ...and very polite...

As said above no need for re-test... :o

I just got my five year license. This was issued at Chonburi. I took in my passport and two sets of signed photocopies of all the relevant pages of my passport. The same with my work permit. I was not required to submit a certificate of residence. You will need two one inch colour photos and something like 505 baht.

In Pattaya they were quite insistent about the certificate of residence, requiring an original for each licence. No doubt the application of the 'rules' varies from centre to centre.

One quirk at Pattaya is that if you produce photos that were not obtained from the row of shops across the road, they will almost certainly be rejected for being 'wrong size'... :o

Oh, that is good. But I am surprise that we can get a 5 year renewal ?

The first time I got it is only for 1 year, how about yours the first time ?

Is medical certificate needed for renewal ?

I'm researching the same thing as mine expires next Wed. From what I have learned, you only need to take your passport, photos and your driver's licence with you to get a 5 year renewel.

Hi,

Thanks

Yes, you do need a letter of residence (for each licence), but you will not need to take any tests again.

Also, you do not need a Doctor's certificate.

Thanks for your reply, really good news for me. There was one test which I nearly failed the last time. :o

They will not issue a 5 year licence for the first application, but will do so on renewal.

Be aware that for some reason you have to apply for the renewal after your first licence has expired in order to get a 5 year one.

You do not need a Medical Certificate for the renewal. :o

They will not issue a 5 year licence for the first application, but will do so on renewal.

Be aware that for some reason you have to apply for the renewal after your first licence has expired in order to get a 5 year one.

You do not need a Medical Certificate for the renewal. :D

Technically correct but is it worth taking a chance :D

I adopt the attitude that when it comes to Thai BuroC take as much as you can think of when applying for something...the ball is always in their court :o

If they want a photograph of my old granny or ever worse the inside of my wallet then thats what they get....Thais love paperwork/pictures/stamps/signatures/chops.......

I got my real (5 year)D.L.in march and for the sake of 5 minutes and 60 bt picked up a medical cert from the quack at the poly clinic on Airport Rd (CM)just before the centre.

If afterward you have paperwork that wasnt needed ..fine..tear it up and chuck it away...is it worth the hassle of maybe having to go back again the next day....

You do not need a Medical Certificate for the renewal. :D

Technically correct but is it worth taking a chance :D

I adopt the attitude that when it comes to Thai BuroC take as much as you can think of when applying for something...the ball is always in their court :o

If they want a photograph of my old granny or ever worse the inside of my wallet then thats what they get....Thais love paperwork/pictures/stamps/signatures/chops.......

I got my real (5 year)D.L.in march and for the sake of 5 minutes and 60 bt picked up a medical cert from the quack at the poly clinic on Airport Rd (CM)just before the centre.

If afterward you have paperwork that wasnt needed ..fine..tear it up and chuck it away...is it worth the hassle of maybe having to go back again the next day....

I strongly agree with you, more is better than insufficient

Do you mean I have to wait for my DL to expire before I can reapply ?

The usual logic is to apply before it expires. If we apply after it expire, then they can ask me to retake the test and go through everything again , no ?

Sorry, I think this point is very important and should be clarified. Any help is much appreciated.

The usual logic is to apply before it expires. If we apply after it expire, then they can ask me to retake the test and go through everything again , no ?

Sorry, I think this point is very important and should be clarified. Any help is much appreciated.

If you apply before it expires, you will get 1 year validity

If you apply after it expires (I have been told within a reasonable time, lets say no more than 2-3 months), you will get a 5 year validity.

Can you drive to the driving license office with your expired driving license ? I do not know.....

If you apply before it expires, you will get 1 year validity

If you apply after it expires (I have been told within a reasonable time, lets say no more than 2-3 months), you will get a 5 year validity.

Can you drive to the driving license office with your expired driving license ? I do not know.....

Hmm, really strange and does not sound logical.

:D I got mine in Phan with a friend. The office is small little english but very polite and helpful. My buddy had his Australian Drivers Lic and International Lic, he required the letter of residence from MaeSai (free) a doctors certificate (60baht) Visa and 4 small pictures which can be provided right there! 155 baht and 2 hours later he had his motor scooter and drivers lic! They asked what the C ment of his Australian drivers lic so we said oh it's for both car and bike :D A for Auto - B for Bike C-for both! :o

Myself I had both thai lic and I need my Work permit, doctors letter, Letter from MaeSai and 750 Baht for 5 years

I believe the logic is that a five year licence can not be issued until you have held a licence a full year; and that has not happened until after it expires.

You have a point there. But when it expires, Do they treat it as being invalid or disqualified and we have to retake the test and go through all procedures again ?

I believe the logic is that a five year licence can not be issued until you have held a licence a full year; and that has not happened until after it expires.

You have a point there. But when it expires, Do they treat it as being invalid or disqualified and we have to retake the test and go through all procedures again ?

Do not try to find the logic.

The procedure is as stated 1 yesr if applictaion within the validity and 5 years validity if application after expiration.

No need to re-do the tests nor to provide a medical certificate.

Residence certificate (Embassy or immigration) + fotos are required.

Good luck

Edited by Krub

Do not try to find the logic.

The procedure is as stated 1 yesr if applictaion within the validity and 5 years validity if application after expiration.

No need to re-do the tests nor to provide a medical certificate.

Residence certificate (Embassy or immigration) + fotos are required.

Good luck

ok one final question

I am on year to year extension , if they give a 5 year extension, it will be well beyond my visa date. Do they follow this visa date or still they will give 5 years regardlessly ?