Thailand invites international travellers to 'Discover Thainess' with year-round activities

webfact

I've understood "Thainess" for years. All of it is in one way or another based on everything being done for show. External appearance is all that matters. The inner workings of anything are ignored.

"Thainess" ... A big glittering gold wrapped box with diamond encrusted ribbons... yet when you open the box....it's empty.

Spot On!!! Or as i describes the gals...Lovely on the OUTSIDE--UGLY on the inside...

True all around the LOS.....and..as always..is my opinion and MY exps here..relax...wai.gif

Farangs never stop bitching, moaning and complaining about life in Thailand. What you see is what you get and it is not going to change much. If they dislike Thais, Thai culture, the weather, the food, drivers and other things what is it that keeps them here.

Most of the effort on this forum is people complaining about their lives in Thailand or complaining about other farang. This is friging amazing to me that people could be so unhappy and discontent but remain here.

I often remember part of a poem that Rudyard Kipling wrote that says "While the Christian Riles, The Asian Smiles, woo unto those who try to do the East". When you get cheated anyplace in the world you can only blame yourself.

• Like 1

I hate to say it but it is a trait of the British.

The Australians have for a long time called them "whinging pohms" in Australia. I have come across them in many countries. If you meet them in other European countries they are usually moaning about the beer or that there are no fish and chips. It is always the ones that whinge that dont bother to learn the language or understand the culture. If they are not understood they tend to just talk louder as if that would make understanding more effective.

It is mainly because of this that I will now walk passed a farang without acknowledgement should I see him in Tesco or in the street. I have no desire what so ever to meet whingers and moaners.

You don't hate to say it at all and you are whinging at other people whinging. So here is my whinge, I like having a moan and poking fun at some of the stupid things that go on in Thailand, bending over and accepting some of the nonsense that goes on here without a murmur and being a good little go home if you don't like it falang seems rather gutless to me. There's something to laugh at everyday here so why not make the most of it, it's a Brits human right to have a moan anyway. When it comes to Australia there's plenty to moan about there, never gave the world anything except skippy, neighbours, Kylie and Rolf Harris!

Can't wait to see the new BBC program on the airport, bet there will be plenty of moaning holiday makers on that, great!

Edited by dragonfly94

Farangs never stop bitching, moaning and complaining about life in Thailand. What you see is what you get and it is not going to change much. If they dislike Thais, Thai culture, the weather, the food, drivers and other things what is it that keeps them here.

Most of the effort on this forum is people complaining about their lives in Thailand or complaining about other farang. This is friging amazing to me that people could be so unhappy and discontent but remain here.

I often remember part of a poem that Rudyard Kipling wrote that says "While the Christian Riles, The Asian Smiles, woo unto those who try to do the East". When you get cheated anyplace in the world you can only blame yourself.

Yes; very true. Some will never stop bitching.

Also true about those who bitch about what people choose to comment here on the forum. You'd think that people who don't like what they're reading would just move on and spend their time on something else (you know, like the disgruntled travelers or expats they're railing about) But no. Strangely enough, instead they stay here and moan about what they won't ever be able to change, and so display the exact same behavior they're complaining about in others...

Birds of a feather. Pretty funny.

Thainess is when they come at you with a gang of about 20 so you dont stand a chance of winning or even coming in second. The perfect way to get rid of the last of the tourists who can get better value for a Dong than a Baht

On the matter of violence directed at tourists/foreigners, the Bangkok Post website has a report on a Canadian man attacked on Koh Lipe has August...repatriated to Canada as an "incomplete quadriplegic " ,the story is about his recovery. The article says it was unreported in the Thai media at the time. Certainly I don't recall it.

Also, the print edition of the BP has a majore story about the "harassment " of foreigners on Sukhumvit

some things i like about thai ness..

1.Sharing food and drinks at the table with everyone (it makes sense and it's more social.

2. Thais seem to be able to join in on street markets and start up little ideas, like it's a right to make a living. (ti is a dream of many westerners to be able to open a bar or food booth, it costs tens of thousands and you have people trying to stop you.)

3. Guesthouses everywhere (compared with western countries where you have no choices so it's hard to travel)

4. walking slower on the street - why everyone in such a hurry when walking in the west

5. being a little more respectful to strangers or weirdos - westerns can barely handle the ladyboys they see

6. having to share to be respected. - it's ok to be greedy and selfish in the west

7. Not yelling as much in public or getting all emotional. - stick of emotional drunken cry babies in the west

8. People smiling even if they don't like you or whatnot, better than people that look past or even give dirty looks to strangers

I have noticed those things. I think them.