Thai Charter drafters to ban 'hate speech'

webfact

Sadly, the label "hate speech" is a slippery slope to thought policing and tyranny. If those who espouse hate speech legislation actually include in the prohibition the single greatest source of hatred in the world, then I would support it.

To me this is a classic example of a law or rule that absolutely nothing to do with me and my everyday life.

I don't go to hate speeches, certainly don't jump up on stage and make hate speeches, have no intention of threatening national security and would not like to be accused of "sowing hatred among citizens or through various religious beliefs that result in violence."

And I hate social media sites like Facebook.

It affects you because it stops you from saying whatever you want about whoever you want.

Thais are so over-sensitive , weather it be from comments or criticism, constructive or otherwise.

Sometimes it really does feel like living with a bunch of little kids who cry and throw a tantrum at anything other than praise and agreement.

It would seem from the replies to this topic that the Thaksin supporters believe that there should be no ban on hate speech.

Which I supposes is fair enough from their point of view for had there been no lies to generate the hate against Abhisit and the Dems then PT would never have won the election in 2011.

The lies that he personally murdered over 90 protesters managed to generate so much hate among the red followers that they wouldn't even let the democrats campaign in their areas.

Yes lies and hate speech is a great tool for vilifying your political opponents, especially when you have followers who want to believe, can see why they want to keep it.

High horse, much?

The worry is what hate speech means.

In Australia there is some discussion about a certain part of the legislation that includes the definition to include "insult or offend".

Sounds reasonable doesn't it?

Except it is being used for many purposes that it was never intended, particularly by the m uslim community.

Canada removed this particular definition from their similar legislation a few years ago.

Even the US where freedom of speech is upheld bow to the religious/muslim pressure.

A recent case concerned a University award or speech (don't have the detail at hand) by a moderate muslim. The greater muslim community put the pressure on the Uni and the event was cancelled.

I'm not saying the muslims are behind the hate speech proposal in Thailand - but be sure they will use it to the max to impose their will.

• Like 1

Freedom of speech is the very foundation of a functioning democracy ... whether you like what someone says or not.

If such is implemented then Thailand will have no chance whatsoever at becoming a functioning democracy; we've already seen the damage with the LM laws and this move will simply push Thailand into the realms of a totalitarian regime ... welcome to society ... North Korea style.

How many Thais do you know who can give you a halfway acceptable definition of 'Democracy'?

It'[s kind of stupid after all; banning literal words, phrases and terms.

I suppose they have a solution for implication, innuendo, figurative and metaphorical?

I could be wrong, but wasn't it Aesop, who got a ban on the use of certain language by doing the same thing, yes?

• Like 1

Welcome big brother...who is the creature(s) behind this rising controlled environment...show your face and/or name coward(s) If I'm not insulting the king, it is an open forum as far as I'm concerned and I'll say what I please when I please...I'm banning your ban on freedom of speech or so-called hate speech..whatever that means.

Just out of curiosity; with the Prime Minister being the general and the draft containing the equivalent of "political office holders will be barred from directly or indirectly owning media or holding shares in media organisations." what does that mean for Channel 5?

You're sure? I'm sure the Zionists are behind what's going on in France and quite possibly Thailand as well...

The worry is what hate speech means.

In Australia there is some discussion about a certain part of the legislation that includes the definition to include "insult or offend".

Sounds reasonable doesn't it?

Except it is being used for many purposes that it was never intended, particularly by the m uslim community.

Canada removed this particular definition from their similar legislation a few years ago.

Even the US where freedom of speech is upheld bow to the religious/muslim pressure.

A recent case concerned a University award or speech (don't have the detail at hand) by a moderate muslim. The greater muslim community put the pressure on the Uni and the event was cancelled.

I'm not saying the muslims are behind the hate speech proposal in Thailand - but be sure they will use it to the max to impose their will.

You can not have a Democracy without free speech...

This sounds like something the Muslims would come up with...to maintain control over the population by never allowing the people to condemn government, military, or police wrong doing...in their communications...

Good Luck with that!

Why are you bringing faith into this?

Check out the history of nations that have exercised dictatorial control over their citizens.

All faiths covered.

I could have named each Muslim country separately...

Somebody should fill them in on the existence of the Internet... Free speech (no, sorry, when you impose political limits on it, it's not free anymore, no matter how you try and spin it) nowadays can always find a way. And it will.

....pi$$ing in the wind. The more you try to rein it in, the more it just comes back & bites you in the butt.

• Like 1

From wiki

In law, hate speech is any speech, gesture or conduct, writing, or display which is forbidden because it may incite violence or prejudicial action against or by a protected individual or group, or because it disparages or intimidates a protected individual or group.

so now the traditional elite and their political allies will become a "protected individual or group". coffee1.gif

Oh you mean the same as reading a book, eating sandwiches or sticking three fingers in the air in public?

• Like 1

From reading this, I have to guess that the laws of hate speech in many Western countries differ greatly from the US. The First Amendment of the Constitution guarantees the Right To Free Speech.

"Hate speech" is illegal only if it is likely to incite violence. The marketplace of ideas isn't illegal. The importance is that a person can know what is legal and what isn't. This will be entirely different in Thailand, and in Thailand it will be too broad and vague.

Here is a summary of a US Supreme Court ruling that nicely splits the hairs:

The Supreme Court’s answer to this particular question is that even hate speech contains political ideas, however horrible these ideas may be. When you regulate such speech, you are also regulating ideas. Think of George Orwell’s Animal Farm and forbidden words. The Supreme Court has also made clear that just because speech offends people, this is never a justification under the First Amendment for punishing it.
Furthermore, we are justifiably suspicious of government when it attempts to regulate speech and ideas. After all, government may have its own political agenda in regulating hate speech—which groups would be protected against hate speech and which not?
Finally, and perhaps most important, think about how the marketplace of ideas functions: even if hateful ideas are communicated, the theory (hope?) is that counter-speech will emerge to rebut it and to fight it. In other words, more speech rather than less is the remedy."
Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

As usual a bunch of nebulous rules with much of what they "mean" to be determined later. Seems like they have a hard time defining exactly what they want to ban. They are always short on defining exactly what they want and therefore it always leaves everything open to interpretation but whomever is in power at the moment to define to suit their interests.

If they ever allow free elections what is to keep the next government from throwing out the constitution they are recreating and redefining thing?