Thai Commerce Ministry mulls palm oil import

webfact

Commerce Ministry mulls palm oil import

BANGKOK, 16 Jan 2015 (NNT) – The Ministry of Commerce will propose a plan to import palm oil to prevent a possible shortage , at the cabinet meeting next week.

According to Commerce Minister Gen. Chatchai Sareekalaya, the existing 110,000-ton palm oil supply is still far below the standard reserve of 300,000 tons and the actual demand of 135,000 tons. The inadequate stockpile may lead to a possible shortage of palm oil.

To ensure that there is an ample supply of palm oil for consumption, the Ministry of Commerce will suggest the Ministry of Energy replace the production of B7 diesel with that of B3 type, and will propose that it import 40,000-50,000 tons of raw palm oil for the cooking oil industry at the cabinet meeting next week.

Meanwhile, the Public Warehouse Organization will be assigned to oversee the import and the distribution of raw palm oil to producers to regulate the retailed palm-based cooking oil price at no more than 42.50 baht per liter. The plan, if approved, should be implemented within February.

Gen. Chatchai also brushed off fears that the imported palm oil would affect local farmers, saying that the purchase was actually intended to make up for the insufficient supply, which the domestic industry was unable to produce.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-16 footer_n.gif

Rice oil are more healty compare with palm oil as the governmenr warehouse sitting millions tonnes of rice waiting to spoilt better solution turn into cooking oil as I bought recently 60 Baht for 1 liter it's better and consider cheap.

• Like 2

Let's see how Suthep will react.

I wonder if this "fight against corruption" will one more time fail when it concerns its own business.

Few of those who support Suthep here seem to not remember how he made millions of baht from it while organizing the shortage of palm oil

I don't like suthep but where and when did he ''organise" a shortage?

• Like 2

I wonder if this "fight against corruption" will one more time fail when it concerns its own business.

Few of those who support Suthep here seem to not remember how he made millions of baht from it while organizing the shortage of palm oil

This cannot be - the great man is a simple monk!

Just read this if the mods allow this link

http://asiancorrespondent.com/49900/thailands-palm-oil-crisis-mr-s-strikes-again/

Edited by aaacorp
  • Like 1

What stupid idiot in the ministry is thinking up this crap. Change the diesel type so they don't need the palm oil.

What do they think will happen next year when the production exceeds the usage and export quotas?

Already there is problems with the rice and rubber farmers losing money. Are they trying to make sure losses go across the board to all farmers here?

Why do they continue to need a government entity to organise this stuff and what have you.

Why can't Somchais palm oil company just call up a mate in Malaysia and import some? In fact, why can't they just import finished palm oil and sell it straigt to the market? Why why why? Because....

• Like 1

http://asiancorrespondent.com/49900/thailands-palm-oil-crisis-mr-s-strikes-again/

so he organized this shortage 5 years ago, that is really clutching at straws and it has no proof at all, only innuendo. I cant stand the man at all but you need to produce something realistic if you are going to make these types of claims, A man named S, sounds like your a fan of the ear medicine man, he knew lots of people with names starting with ?.

You want to put up a theory at least show proof and not some wild he said she said bullsh*t plus it is another claim form an overseas journo, who believes all these

thaksin cronies.

• Like 2

so he organized this shortage 5 years ago, that is really clutching at straws and it has no proof at all, only innuendo. I cant stand the man at all but you need to produce something realistic if you are going to make these types of claims, A man named S, sounds like your a fan of the ear medicine man, he knew lots of people with names starting with ?.

You want to put up a theory at least show proof and not some wild he said she said bullsh*t plus it is another claim form an overseas journo, who believes all these

thaksin cronies.

You think this is some kind of accidental mishap that they by accident find there is no palm oil in the country? Someone cynical might presume its a way of sending bazillions of baht down south to sure up the democrats support. But that would be anti-democratic, immoral and akin to vote buying, which is of course what the other side does right?

thaksin cronies.

Sorry if you weren t here 5 years ago, i was there and i know who is S. if you just want to ignore all these well up to you,,,

thaksin cronies.

Just take the facts which was summarized in this article.

The part with the dots, if you have difficulties to find them

Now we have this right?

now let's look at the government in 2010 and who was part of it

Now let s add one element : Let's have a look at the owners of the palm oil industry in thailand

Now let s try to find who may find interesting to have a rise of price for this oil

Lot of things here, so yes S. is at least or a really lucky guy for being part of a government which helps his business going so well...or....

So a man with the name starting with S, being a part of the government and who may have some interest in shortage/high price selling oil...no i see nobody...

About the oversea cronies, maybe you should read them a bit more and listen a bit less to the daily intervention on thai tv

Edited by aaacorp

“The Ministry of Commerce will propose a plan to import palm oil to prevent a possible shortage”

There is something seriously amiss here. Thailand is the 3rd largest palm oil producer in the world. Yet, Malaysia and Indonesia combined produce more than 85% of the world’s palm oil and Thailand barely exports any palm oil. How is it that it is becoming an importer of palm oil?

Price fixing and protectionist trade barriers may be the answer. What is known is that 90% of Thai palm oil is grown in the South by almost entirely small-sized farms. In contrast palm oil grown in Malaysia and Indonesia is by a few large-sized farms. With so many Thai farms the certification process is complex and apparently has been “modified” (“relaxed?”) to allow more farmers to be certified. Lose or lax certification and enforcement can provide an opportunity for export of pirate palm oil, perhaps in conjunction with inbound smuggling of petrol into South Thailand.

Maybe the palm oil shortage is an artificial one.

“The Ministry of Commerce will propose a plan to import palm oil to prevent a possible shortage”

There is something seriously amiss here. Thailand is the 3rd largest palm oil producer in the world. Yet, Malaysia and Indonesia combined produce more than 85% of the world’s palm oil and Thailand barely exports any palm oil. How is it that it is becoming an importer of palm oil?

Price fixing and protectionist trade barriers may be the answer. What is known is that 90% of Thai palm oil is grown in the South by almost entirely small-sized farms. In contrast palm oil grown in Malaysia and Indonesia is by a few large-sized farms. With so many Thai farms the certification process is complex and apparently has been “modified” (“relaxed?”) to allow more farmers to be certified. Lose or lax certification and enforcement can provide an opportunity for export of pirate palm oil, perhaps in conjunction with inbound smuggling of petrol into South Thailand.

Figures still not your strongest point, aren't they?

With Indonesia and Malaysia begin producer #1 and #2 at a total of 50 million tonnes in 2013 we had Thailand possibly as #3 with 2 million tonnes. Maybe Nigeria was #3.

Anyway why would the government import the colossal amount of 45 thousand tonnes AND try to keep the price for consumers at 42.50 Baht / litre if there was an artificial shortage?

thaksin cronies.

Sorry if you weren t here 5 years ago, i was there and i know who is S. if you just want to ignore all these well up to you,,,

So, pray tell what a link from FOUR years ago has to do with the current minimal reserve and the plan to import some palm oil and the plan to keep the price at a low level ?

a-team-t-shirt-hannibal-a-plan-comes-tog

"..Thailand barely exports any palm oil." and now it is looking to import a small amount. How does this small change suddenly boggle your mind, causing it to look for conspiracy?

• Like 1

If that article is accurate and there are people who are willing to give testimony why hasn't the military government taken action? I would think the monk council would have the power to demonk Suthep and allow the police to make an arrest, lay charges.

If that article is accurate and there are people who are willing to give testimony why hasn't the military government taken action? I would think the monk council would have the power to demonk Suthep and allow the police to make an arrest, lay charges.

Because who gave the current "PM" the keys of Thailand?....

So, still no details on the alleged plot to create a scarcity of palm oil in order to fix the consumer price on a low 42.50 Baht / litre.

So? Did i ever said that the current oil problem will profit to Suthep?

I just said that the previous one, believe it or not, and Suthep being involved or not, made him richer thant he was, much more...

And as i said alos, let's see how it will evolve... it wouldn t be the first time a perfect plan becomes a complete failure

those who support Suthep here

I've been reading most political post on this forum since early 2010 and just can't remember anyone who 'supports' Suthep. Most of those you assume were supporters were probably seeing him as the lesser of two evils; still evil, though. Sad to see you bringing Suthep's alleged (never charged; never prosecuted) corruption into the conversation as it adds nothing to the discussion but does illustrate your color-coded thinking indoctrination processes. Now, if you could just link to any 'supporters' of Suthep, I might take you seriously.

• Like 1

So, still no details on the alleged plot to create a scarcity of palm oil in order to fix the consumer price on a low 42.50 Baht / litre.

I just said that the previous one, believe it or not, and Suthep being involved or not, made him richer thant he was, much more...

And as i said alos, let's see how it will evolve... it wouldn t be the first time a perfect plan becomes a complete failure

So, most if not all of what you stated here before can be ignored as it doesn't relate to the current situation.

those who support Suthep here

I've been reading most political post on this forum since early 2010 and just can't remember anyone who 'supports' Suthep. Most of those you assume were supporters were probably seeing him as the lesser of two evils; still evil, though. Sad to see you bringing Suthep's alleged (never charged; never prosecuted) corruption into the conversation as it adds nothing to the discussion but does illustrate your color-coded thinking indoctrination processes. Now, if you could just link to any 'supporters' of Suthep, I might take you seriously.

You re quite fast to put people in boxes right?

Even Prayut had to make a statement that there is no "hidden agenda" about oil.

So please pursue and call me "red shirt supporter" or even Thaksin..

It's strrange how, as soon, as the pro suthep read something which is not written as a support claim it s made by red supporter.

No, i do not support thaksin, but yes I think Suthep as played with the Army to make a coup against an elected governemnt.

The rice scheme would have been enough to show the true motivation of Yingluk and Co. In fact Suthep just helped them forget what the Thaksin's governments did and focalized them even more again Suthep and Yellow.

Remember when Thaksin first mandate was running? Even those who cannot be mentioned praised him...

Will you go against them too?

So stop your rethoric about the yellow and red stuff.... Suthep is corrupted and will avoid any sanction, which will not help reconcilation, as well as the other corruption cases against his mates which are forgotten, put aside....

Stop putting people in boxes because they talk about the wrongdoing of the side you like or consider as the "lesser evil" (what a stupid way of thinking by the way) and i may take you seriously

So, most if not all of what you stated here before can be ignored as it doesn't relate to the current situation.

Oh come on,

Do you want me to dig the old messages you posted in which you made comparison with other events....

Yes there is nothing related (yet) to Suthep today...however if the PM made a statement today, it may because people are scared about a hidden agenda which may not please them (palm industry or buyers)

Oh come on,

Do you want me to dig the old messages you posted in which you made comparison with other events....

Yes there is nothing related (yet) to Suthep today...however if the PM made a statement today, it may because people are scared about a hidden agenda which may not please them (palm industry or buyers)

Now waiting for someone to suggest the Yingluck impeachment session is only meant to divert attention from a hidden agenda in palm oil rolleyes.gif

Oh come on,

Now waiting for someone to suggest the Yingluck impeachment session is only meant to divert attention from a hidden agenda in palm oil rolleyes.gif

It seems it will take longer than you jumping on someone who spoke about past oil problems and suspicious actions when Suthep was in the government.... cheesy.gif

Edited by aaacorp
  • Like 1

I beleive if there is a shortage it's caused by the regulations requiring usage of palm oil in bio fuels for gasoline blends.

As the crude oil price has fallen dramatically there is no cost benefit anymore for refiners to mix biofuels into gasoline. So in steps the government to force the price of palm oil lower by excess supply.

The truth is thailand does produce enough palm oil for it's needs - most years- and does indeed export it as well. Unfortunately the exporters of palm oil can not simply redirect it to the domestic market as the government wants due to supply contracts with foreign buyers.

So while Thailand is self sufficient in palm oil, there will be times when it may need to import it. And this is good news for Thailand palm oil refiners since they have complete freedom to sell to whoever they want - domestic or foreign.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1