Best BKK to Nong Khai train?

bangkokowl

Hi all,

Got to head to Laos tomorrow night for my first visa run. I don't sleep well on any form of transport so probably going in seated accommodation anyway! I'm intending to go by train, my prefered mode of transport, so for those who've done visa runs to Laos which is the best train to get?

I was thinking of getting the 6:35pm as it gets in at 5am and means it can be late. Anyone any experience of this train or is it going to be just as good as getting the express or rapid up? I want to get my application in and have a good look round Vientiane, yes I've heard it's quite boring but still.

On another note, lost my earphones I'd had for 6 months last week, anywhere in Bangkok I can pick up a cheap pair for like 100-200 baht tops?

Ta.

Tom.

I always take the 8pm train. It has 'first class' air con sleeping compartments. That's what I book, and happily sleep the night away. Plus it saves one night at a hotel. And you really do need to book the sleeper compartments in advance. Scheduled arrival into Nong Khai is about 7:30am.

Lately, this train has been running pretty much on time. I think this is due mainly to the new concrete sleepers they have fitted on most of the line. The train now runs faster and smoother than before. Same crap rolling stock though. whistling.gif

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

Got overnight sleeper, couple times in Second and once with a cabin with a closing door, First.

Best sleep I have ever had... rocked like a baby, awakened fresh at about 8 am, and went thru the border crossings ok.

Typist sounds like a man who plans too much for SEA. SEA is where foreigners RELAX, not plan to the half minute his future.wai.gif

I have done that trip several times, and it's always been my preference to travel 'Ordinary second class'. Avoid 'second class' on a DRC (Diesel rail) service. The 'diesel' services are a lot more expensive, noisy, air-con is often way too high, windows are often frosted over, and you may get a seat facing in the opposite direction to where you are travelling, it's easy to spot these 'diesel' services on a timetable, just look out for DRC at the top of the timetable.

Now getting back to 'Ordinary second', it's cheaper than 'diesel', if you get a seat next to a window you can get fresh air, though it may be a little too fresh at this time of year, so bring a jacket, and a blanket if possible. The seats are comfortable and the rhythm of the train makes it easy to relax.

I have done one trip on a first class sleeper and wasn't impressed, the berth was very stuffy, but still preferable to a 'diesel' service.

Third class is only okay for a short journey, four hours maximum. Sitting upright for 10-12 hours is asking a lot of a farang.

If you have a problem sleeping, why not fly?

I'd prefer to do it as cheaply as possible, not that fussed about sleep anyway.

I'm gonna head into central Bangkok, see what availability is like on the sleeper and if not, get the DRC (is food served on that, i.e. do people get on and sell food on it?) as the rapid service is too late if I want my visa application in. I have to be back in BKK by Wednesday afternoon, can't afford not to get it in!

If you have a problem sleeping, why not fly?

I'd prefer to do it as cheaply as possible, not that fussed about sleep anyway.

I'm gonna head into central Bangkok, see what availability is like on the sleeper and if not, get the DRC (is food served on that, i.e. do people get on and sell food on it?) as the rapid service is too late if I want my visa application in. I have to be back in BKK by Wednesday afternoon, can't afford not to get it in!

Just get the bus to Nong Knai from bangers about 500 Baht

12 hours with a 200-300B earphones ? ouch, no wonder you don't sleep, you must have a permanent headache.

You might want to get a copy pair of 'beats' from Panthip or MBK .. they aren't too bad .. but if you want a 1/4 decent set .. AV shop on 3rd floor at MBK will sell you a pair of senheissers for around 1300B, which will last and be comfortable. I bought a cheap pair for the missus, i thought they were OK.

12 hours with a 200-300B earphones ? ouch, no wonder you don't sleep, you must have a permanent headache.

You might want to get a copy pair of 'beats' from Panthip or MBK .. they aren't too bad .. but if you want a 1/4 decent set .. AV shop on 3rd floor at MBK will sell you a pair of senheissers for around 1300B, which will last and be comfortable. I bought a cheap pair for the missus, i thought they were OK.

I lost my earphones a week ago, got off a minibus and between there and where I was staying they disappeared. Was only a side thought for first few hours of the journey. My last pair of earphones that I bought in the UK were £7.99 but were superb and lasted. Just thought be able to pick up a pair cheaply in BKK, I'm not exactly blessed with money for another 3 weeks having just relocated from elsewhere in Thailand.

I personally would take the evening train too! but i would go for a second class seat with " fan " as i just hate air con ( bloody uncomfortable ) I replaced my earphones a few days ago from Tesco Lotus for 55 baht.

F.J x

I'm planning on doing this.

If i take the 20H00 train, will i be in time to submit my visa at thai embassy (they close at 12H00) ?

Seems to be a tight schedule.

Who has done this already ?

I did it last week, no issues whatsoever. Arrival at Nong Khai was prompt at 7:45am. Tuk tuk from outside the station to the border post, takes 5 mins tops. Stamped out Thailand, bus onto Laos border point across Friendship Bridge, was there at 0820. Hour or so to get a Laos visa, if that and share a car/van to the Embassy, takes 25 mins and 100 baht is a good price. I was at the Embassy around 2 hours after leaving Nong Khai station.

Cost me 140 baht from Nong Khai to Embassy. Got a ticket numbered 361, called to hand my application in before noon. Waited 80 minutes to be called to pay, out the Embassy by 1310.

As long as you get a ticket for the queue by 1130, your fine. Just make sure you get a bed on the sleeper, 588 baht for a seat with lights on all night and a freezing cold carriage was no fun! Bed for 100 baht more (I paid for an upper as that was all that was left but ended up a lower as some German couple wanted to have two bunks together. I gave up my upper bed, for the German fella's lower) biggrin.png

Its good fun, if it not a little tiring.

Edited by bangkokowl
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If i take the 20H00 train, will i be in time to submit my visa at thai embassy (they close at 12H00) ?

I did it last week, no issues whatsoever. Arrival at Nong Khai was prompt at 7:45am. Tuk tuk from outside the station to the border post, takes 5 mins tops. Stamped out Thailand, bus onto Laos border point across Friendship Bridge, was there at 0820. Hour or so to get a Laos visa, if that and share a car/van to the Embassy, takes 25 mins and 100 baht is a good price. I was at the Embassy around 2 hours after leaving Nong Khai station.

Cost me 140 baht from Nong Khai to Embassy. Got a ticket numbered 361, called to hand my application in before noon. Waited 80 minutes to be called to pay, out the Embassy by 1310.

As long as you get a ticket for the queue by 1130, your fine. Just make sure you get a bed on the sleeper, 588 baht for a seat with lights on all night and a freezing cold carriage was no fun! Bed for 100 baht more (I paid for an upper as that was all that was left but ended up a lower as some German couple wanted to have two bunks together. I gave up my upper bed, for the German fella's lower) alt=biggrin.png>

Nice Report - well done!

I must admit ( again ) that i absolutely hate " air con " anywhere here in Thailand! It would be nice to see some shopping malls and more hotels going back to " Fan Room " or " Air Con Room " I have travelled once from Bangkok to Surat Thani on the Bangkok Sprinter ( that didn't....) and It was " absolutely bloody freezing " you needed to be dressed for " Ice Station Zebra " just to survive the train journey! I love travelling by train in Thailand ( as most of you know ) but i would strongly advise to choose a " Fan Carriage " instead.You have a window so what more do you want viewers..?

F.J wai2.gif x

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As long as you get a ticket for the queue by 1130, your fine. Just make sure you get a bed on the sleeper, 588 baht for a seat with lights on all night and a freezing cold carriage was no fun! Bed for 100 baht more (I paid for an upper as that was all that was left but ended up a lower as some German couple wanted to have two bunks together. I gave up my upper bed, for the German fella's lower) alt=biggrin.png>

Nice Report - well done!

I must admit ( again ) that i absolutely hate " air con " anywhere here in Thailand! It would be nice to see some shopping malls and more hotels going back to " Fan Room " or " Air Con Room " I have travelled once from Bangkok to Surat Thani on the Bangkok Sprinter ( that didn't....) and It was " absolutely bloody freezing " you needed to be dressed for " Ice Station Zebra " just to survive the train journey! I love travelling by train in Thailand ( as most of you know ) but i would strongly advise to choose a " Fan Carriage " instead.You have a window so what more do you want viewers..?

F.J wai2.gif x

Bizarrely, on the way back there was no fan or air con in the sleeper carriage! I could have done with a fan as it was rather warm.

On the way up I had a t-shirt, the silk sheet I use as a bed cover, the blanket supplied and my jumper over my eyes and as a bit of a pillow and was still very cold.

I'm not a big fan of air-con, although it is nice in 7 Eleven on the warmer days.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...