Bermuda Triangle for Bikes

maamoot

https://goo.gl/maps/V72lE

This map link is right near the top of Doi Suthep mountain in Chiang Mai . I go hiking here fairly often and the trail exit is just across from where this link is . Over the last month I have witnessed one bike accident here and seen the aftermath of three others , all in this exact same spot . Makes me wonder how many other accidents have happened here and how many people have been seriously hurt .

Edited by maamoot

This looks like one of hundreds of corners of most mountain passes in the north of Thailand. Unless there something about the road surface that makes this extra slippery, I would just put it down to rider error.

If anything, this looks like a safe and easy corner, two lanes for uphill traffic. On the MHS loop, most of them are single lane.

This looks like one of hundreds of corners of most mountain passes in the north of Thailand. Unless there something about the road surface that makes this extra slippery, I would just put it down to rider error.

If anything, this looks like a safe and easy corner, two lanes for uphill traffic. On the MHS loop, most of them are single lane.

Of course it is anecdotal evidence only , I might have seen the only four accidents on this corner . But it does seem like a fairly big coincidence that I have spent approximately 3 hours here over a period of 6 weeks and have seen this many accidents .

I think the problem is low powered bikes with 2 passengers taking a very sharp and steep corner .

Of course it is anecdotal evidence only , I might have seen the only four accidents on this corner . But it does seem like a fairly big coincidence that I have spent approximately 3 hours here over a period of 6 weeks and have seen this many accidents .

I think the problem is low powered bikes with 2 passengers taking a very sharp and steep corner .

it makes a difference in the kind of bikes that are involved in the accidents. If it is mostly thais 2 up on scooter than the reason why they crash is most likely that they forget to downshift before the corner and come to a virtual stop in the middle of the corner and just tip over.

I have seen so many times that thais don't downshift until its too late, be it overtaking somebody or going up a steep hill.

Edited by pokerkid

Yes, it seems like a lot of accidents for just one particular corner.

Coming downhill, the road surface is broken just before the corner which might make some riders panic and slam on the brakes. Also the road looks very slick. One can also see that either a car or pickup has also crashed, as evident by the bent barrier.

There is a infamous off camber turn on route going Sisawat - Kanchanaburi. I stopped there once to help a japanese guy on a k1300 and when i was looking around, there were bits and fairings from many other bikes in the ditch! Later checked and found out that road is designed wrong.

There are some bends like this on Koh Chang and 2331 Hwy in Phetchabun (https://www.google.ca/maps/@16.8811608,101.113848,15z?hl=en)

And from what I've seen it's the cages that just can't stay in their fricken line! So what happens when you go around one of the bends like this and find a pickup on your lane heading straight at you?

I have a collection of VDO of just that... I started doing an "A-Hole of the trip" series and then thought better of it. Posted one though on my YouTube channel sgpsimonb...

• Like 1