Thai cabbies who put up anti-Japanese sign warned they may lose licences

webfact

Sounds great but just more lip service. Go ahead just for s#!ts and giggles try giving 1584 a call and see how well you do in English or any language other than Thai. If they were serious about making that waste of time hotline effective they would at least offer service in English.

If you speak Thai or have a Thai person make the complaint for you, I have little doubt that they even follow up on these things or penalize (no jokes please) the drivers. Seems like the only way to get action is to take it to social media and hope it goes viral.

And I wonder how many languages you could make a complaint in in Good old England??? I assume that the ten's of thousands of Japanese and Chinese tourists in England are offered a complaints service on the telephone with fluent Chinese and Japanese speaking Englishmen....

Simple to address...

Remove the drivers license..... If driver is caught driving a taxi without a license, remover the taxi number plate from the vehicle and ban it from being a taxi, if a taxi is caught operating as an illegal taxi, take the car and crush it.

To get something to work, you need to put the pressure on the owner and operators of the cars, and they will enforce anything regarding their drivers.

Edited by PepperMe

Simple to address...

Remove the drivers license..... If driver is caught driving a taxi without a license, remover the taxi number plate from the vehicle and ban it from being a taxi, if a taxi is caught operating as an illegal taxi, take the car and crush it.

To get something to work, you need to put the pressure on the owner and operators of the cars, and they will enforce anything regarding their drivers.

yes, simple to address.

Indeed a lot of problems this country has would be quite simple to address.

The problem is, nobody makes a real effort, a LASTING effort, and nobody has a deep interest to do so.....

as I have wirtten in another post, this is a HYDRA that will continue to grow - cut One arm, Two new arms will grow out of it.

And sadly, the young generation of this country does not give much hope this will end anytime soon

Simple to address...

Ha! Ha! Where you live?

Never had a problem with Taxi drivers in BKK. Don't know what all the fuss is about!

Me neither - apart from a few not wanting to actually go to where I want to go, the one behind will and the fares are laughably low - people getting upset about the level of fares in Thailand are clearly sailing very close to the wind finance wise!

I don't see anyone getting upset at the legitimate fares.

It's the rip offs.

Good move Mr Sukree Charupoom.

Yes and the proof of the pudding is in the eating or in this case follow up action.

The whole taxi industry needs a complete shakeup but while officials talk the talk they don't walk the walk and PLEASE not another promise of a short lived, if not non-existent, ' crackdown '.

as far as i can see it is the customers that need to be doing the walk the walk.

(not to mention the bus the bus, and the sky train the skytrain, and the mrt the mrt and the ferry the ferry)

Edited by monkey dog

They could still refuse to take Japanese customers, even though they don't have the sign.

I don't know the new system at the airport. Are they forced to take the customers to wherever they want to go?

Yeah, but what are taxi drivers going to do, ask customers for passport id? Or will they simply refuse any Northern Asian not a Thai?

I take cabs almost every day of my life here. Maybe I am just lucky but I can only speak highly of the very large majority of cabs and the cabbies. Keeping in mind that the fare hasn't gone up in 20 years! A very good Thai friend where I live had to give the job away recently and return to an office, admin job. He just couldn't make a decent enough living and he is a very good driver and a terrific bloke. He battled for years at it too.

Let's see. Airport to Saphan Kwai. Off the top of my head, including Toll Way. Traffic. You really wouldn't get a helluva lot of change out of 700. Certainly not worth all this froth and bubble anyway.

To be honest I reckon the Jap is being a bit kinneow. If could walk out of the airport, get a good clean cab, good aircon, good music on the radio, friendly driver, a pleasant no hassle trip. without taking the 'scenic route', from the airport all the way to Saphan Kwai for 700 (Toll Included), I reckon I'd gladly take it. And I may even add to it, if he was a good bloke and stopped at the 7/11 for me on the way!

Ippun Kee Nok!

I support the cabbies!

What a bunch of whinny cry babies. One Japanese person gives valid criticism and they react like children. Not more than half an hour ago I was waiting at a crosswalk. Taxi driver pulls up and stops thinking I'm a fare, blocking my way. "It's a crosswalk, you <deleted>!" They are dumber than mud.

I take cabs almost every day of my life here. Maybe I am just lucky but I can only speak highly of the very large majority of cabs and the cabbies. Keeping in mind that the fare hasn't gone up in 20 years!

It went up last month.