Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today throughout Thailand

webfact

Read the article :

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Where does it state that restaurants cannot sell alcohol during the prohibited hours ?

Seriously? "The new law takes into account every type restaurant......" That part. About the new law. The one that prohibits alcohol sales. Taking into account every type restaurant.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A country once called Land of the free, now ruled by new moralistic dinosaurs.

This has nothing to do with moralistic dinosaurs, but with the fact that alcohol abuse and the problems related to it have reached gigantic proportions in this country. The fact that a few alcohol addicts among foreigners living in Thailand don't like restrictions on their juice doesn't change that fact.

I salute to the government. Alcohol is the worlds biggest epidemic. Much more than soft drugs. Alcohol claims millions of fatalities all over the world. Traffic accidents, violence, vandalism and fatal diseases.

Its about time to reveal the mask from the hypocrites.

So ban it completely then and there's a fat chance of that happening. Actually, maybe we should try prohibition here in Thailand, that was REALLY successful in the states wasn't it?

Does anyone know why alcohol can't be purchased between 2-5pm, what is so significant about those 3 hours?

i think it was supposed to be something about school hours. In a similar vein in some areas bars, restaurants etc can't display anything that advertises or uses the name of alcoholic drinks to ' protect ' children whom I suppose never see such things at home or drunkenness on the soap operas.

What about children whose family run a small restaurant and who serve alcohol to the customers at all hours with the youngsters carrying the beer to the tables. ?

Edited by Caveat Emptor

The very popular alcohol areas in the likes of Big C and Tesco will now be laying off staff as they simply cant justify the numbers selling. Was in Big C Mae Hia ,Chiang Mai last week at 4.50pm and felt like beer.It was empty .I sat there with the clock ticking over until 5pm and at 5.15pm there were just 3 of us having a quiet beer.The girl serving said she is leaving as they rely on tips to make a living and her income has been slashed. This was last week so its already having an effect.

I despair for this country its going backwards at a fast rate,the same girl had to wear a shawl to cover the CHANG logo on her dress and no coasters with the beer brand name in case it sent me into a drinking frenzy.

If they think tourism won't be affected they are soon in for a rude shock.Filthy beaches ,unsolved murders,transport mafia,bashings at karaoke bars it goes on and on then to be treated like children as you cant enjoy a quiet drink at a time when you want one is about the last straw.

In today's world with social media and the likes of you tube the word will spread like wild fire.

Plenty of other countries who want you to enjoy a holiday and welcome you with open arms....are you listening TAT ?

Funny, they want tourism, and they think that this is the way to get it. Stupid. Now a person can't even have a beer or glass of wine with there lunch if they decide to eat after 2 pm. Say goodby to the Tourist & money.

So you'll leave then? I'm sure Thailand wishes you a safe voyage...

MAKRO is going to be very busy between 11am & 2pm.

These hours have been in effect for years that I know of. In Pattaya, it has been pretty much ignored, but Makro has always enforced it. The only change there will be the wholesale purchase of at least 10 liters, which Makro allowed. Does not effect you or I for the better, or for the worse. Bangkok 7-11's always enforced the hours when I visit there, yet in Pattaya 7-11's, never. Tesco in Pattaya enforced the hours law in Pattaya. Time will tell if there are any changes at all. The Mom & Pop stores will continue to sell 24/7, and at cheaper prices in many cases.

The only change from the old rules, as far as I can see, is that the provision for purchasing "bulk" quantities outside the prescribed hours is now against the rules. This will affect businesses not the average punter.

Of course enforcement is another matter entirely.

I agree.

That seems to be the only change from the old law.

A law that has always been ignored in my area by all except Seven eleven and Tesco.

Nothing has changed for the "average Joe".

No, the big change is it now includes ALL Bars and restaurants serving alcohol too.

Unless their licence states otherwise.

This has nothing to do with moralistic dinosaurs, but with the fact that alcohol abuse and the problems related to it have reached gigantic proportions in this country. The fact that a few alcohol addicts among foreigners living in Thailand don't like restrictions on their juice doesn't change that fact.

It's a "fact" because....some guy on an anonymous internet bulletin board says so?

??? So in the afternoon, between 2 PM and 5 PM I can't walk into a 7-11 and buy a bottle of beer?

no you cant , this has been the case in bangkok 2 years ago even, i was in nonthaburi and went into 7-11 to buy beer , the fridge was locked , i went to next one and tried again and was told no alcohol to be sold.

Read the article :

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Where does it state that restaurants cannot sell alcohol during the prohibited hours ?

Seriously? "The new law takes into account every type restaurant......" That part. About the new law. The one that prohibits alcohol sales. Taking into account every type restaurant.

A big part of not agreeing is that in different parts of Thailand the law was always treated differently. Even in some parts, it was inconsistent. Here in Pattaya I could walk into any 7-11, 24/7, and buy a beer. Yet, when having lunch at some restaurants in Central Festival, I could not enjoy a beer with my lunch at 2:05pm.

Read the article :

A big part of not agreeing is that in different parts of Thailand the law was always treated differently. Even in some parts, it was inconsistent. Here in Pattaya I could walk into any 7-11, 24/7, and buy a beer. Yet, when having lunch at some restaurants in Central Festival, I could not enjoy a beer with my lunch at 2:05pm.

Understand completely.....and that wasn't the question Don Mega asked.

When I was in Patong Beach a month and a half ago the local 7-11 by my hotel

had a sign stating those hours... I could purchase a few beers any time including

the restricted hours... I'm to return next week and if i can't buy beer when I want

it I'll get a plane ticket out of Thailand the next day... It's not that I have to have

beer, because when I work 3:00pm to 11:00pm at home I don't have a beer

for a week, it's that some guy in Bangkok is telling me I can't have a beer when

I want it...$$$$ not spent in Thailand

Just what justification do you think that they might come up with for now banning wholesale purchases from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM - quite correct - there is absolutely none. It merely makes it much for difficult/expensive for small retailers to do business. The law was already totally flawed for this area in any case. They have never defined when a sale is deemed to have occurred. For example, store A phones the wholesaler at 9:00 AM and orders 20 cases of beer, which is delivered by the wholesalers truck at !:30 PM. At that time, the driver leaves the invoice for the beer with store A. This invoice is paid two days later at the wholesalers office at 4:00 PM. Is there a violation here ?

Where it will effect me sometimes is that I have to travel 80 kms to a Makro, where sometimes I would buy wine and spirits. This now means I need to plan my trip carefully to fiti in with the hours. Not so important but could be inconvenient.

The hours for selling alcohol have not changed in general, but looks like the go go bars will be hit hard.

Perhaps the reason is nothing to do with what it appears to be but rather a precaution for some other problem foreseen. I have never understood why it makes sense to be able to sit eating my sushi with an Asahi at 1.50pm and then not be able to follow my salmon salad with a follow on beer at 2.10pm. You San see people on the next table who brought their own bottle of a Regency getting slowly pissed and making the restaurant a bundle with their demands for ice. Go figure

As there does not appear to be a "drinking up time" as in the UK. Could the bar sell you drinks and pay bar bill before 12pm and sit drinking them till late?. If you pay for a bottle of spirit before 12pm and then just pay for coke, soda etc. they are not breaking any liquor laws, anyway monthly payoffs to the police will stay the same so things will stay the same.

When I was in Patong Beach a month and a half ago the local 7-11 by my hotel

had a sign stating those hours... I could purchase a few beers any time including

the restricted hours... I'm to return next week and if i can't buy beer when I want

it I'll get a plane ticket out of Thailand the next day... It's not that I have to have

beer, because when I work 3:00pm to 11:00pm at home I don't have a beer

for a week, it's that some guy in Bangkok is telling me I can't have a beer when

I want it...$$$$ not spent in Thailand

If your whole reason for coming to Thailand is based on getting a beer when YOU want,well,show me the ticket mate,cos i don't believe you.

Where it will effect me sometimes is that I have to travel 80 kms to a Makro, where sometimes I would buy wine and spirits. This now means I need to plan my trip carefully to fiti in with the hours. Not so important but could be inconvenient.

The hours for selling alcohol have not changed in general, but looks like the go go bars will be hit hard.

Why would it affect gogo bars? They have their own operating licences.

Because they have to stop selling at midnight instead of 0200?

Is this the beginning of the CLOSURE of the many SEX bars? Remember a few months back the big man in Bangkok did a "tour" of the girly bars? And he did not like them?

Instead of CLOSING them, Restrict them to the point of being un - viable.

This is what i see.

Bye bye tourism for Thailand. And BTW this type of tourism for Thailand goes back many hundreds of years.

Thais always had a reputation for Certain HOSPITALITIES.

No. This has nothing whatsoever to do with sex. Why should it?

I agree with both of you. This new regulation has nothing specifically to do with sex. But marcusd is also on to something with regard to tourism. All these new rules are part of an overall initiative to rebrand Thailand. They want foreigners to behave as they would in places like Singapore, not like they've seen in movies like the Hangover 2 or the Beach.

Except that these rules are not new. they have existed for many years.

Fair enough. To clarify I might rephrase to stress the enforcement aspect of the equation. Here in Chiang Mai, for example, all the bars, with very few exception, close promptly at midnight. That wasn't the case even a couple of years ago.

If their licence permits opening/selling alcohol until 2am I would expect that they can continue to do so.

If their licence permits opening/selling alcohol until 2am I would expect that they can continue to do so.

I think that's the difference between you and most everyone else in this conversation....we're discussing what's been published and you're discussing "what you expect".

From the OP:

"Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.