Wishing to remain in Thailand. Issue with departure card?

Hi guys

I'm travelling to Thailand in a few months and will be entering on a tourist visa, then getting married and hopefully will be able to convert to a Non imm 'O' and then to an extension based on marriage.

My query is that I am looking at flights now and would like to book, but what will be the status with my departure card as I am being asked to book a return date. Obviously I won't be using that return ticket as I plan to stay in Thailand. Will I get any problems from immigration?

Thanks in advance thumbsup.gif

You just hold onto the departure card and staple it into your passport. You need when you file 90 days reports. You'll need it when you eventually leave the country. Don't lose it! It's a good idea to make a copy because it's number is recorded and tied with your entry into the country. Actually, it's a good idea to have a copy of your entire passport in case it gets lost or damaged.

• Like 1

Because you will have a visa, you do not need to buy an exit ticket. You can get an one-way ticket.

As I am entering on a tourist visa of 60 days, I thought immigration would want me to have a ticket for exiting the country within that time?

As a precaution, you should obtain written confirmation from your airline to ensure you aren't denied boarding when travelling on a one way ticket to Thailand. See this site for more info: http://www.thaizer.com/visas/one-way-flights-to-thailand-visa-regulations/

I experienced something similar flying Finnair to Bangkok a few years ago. I had a 60 day tourist visa which I intended to extend by a further 30 days at Phuket immigration.

However, Finnair initially refused to allow me to board the aircraft even though I had a valid visa because my return flight didn't take place when the visa expired. Fortunately, I'd already done it once before and was able to show them the extension of stay.

But to avoid such issues, it's better to err on the side of caution in your particular case.

• Like 1

Funny that, and I get what you're saying.

I always made sure to buy a ticket that had an "open" return date. Then you're in the drivers seat. I once changed my departure 6 times with an open return ticket. No charge whatsoever. I just hated to leave. Now I don't leave at all except for trips with the Missus.

And as an aside, I have a Brit friend who absolutely insists on calling the departure card an arrival card. Heck, he continues to do that even after I showed him the "departure card" in my passport.