Passport arrival/what que to join?

I read recently as a UK citizen I can join my Thai Wife in the Asian passport Que when we fly to Thailand, Is this true?

Also what about the return journey, can she join me in the European que with her Thai passport (spouse visa) when we enter UK

Thanks

Edited by marty175

With regards to entering the uk with my wife I have had mixed responses.

A number of years ago we joined the other passport line at Heathrow, on handing our passports to the officer he informed me that we could have used the EU line

On subsequent occasions that we have entered the UK at Heathrow the use of the EU lane there have been no problems

In january we came back via manchester an d duly used the EU lane , to be abruptly told that we where in the wrong queue and should have been in the other passport, I informed the officer that we were family travelling together and that at Heathrow there was no probs for us using the EU line. He did eventually stamp us in

I dont think there is a particular proceedure regarding this, but it is left to the officers discretion

You should be able to join your wife in Bkk through the Thai citizens lane, in fact the first time we arrived together many years ago I was called over to join her by the immigration clerk. We've had no problems at Heathrow going through the EU lane together, but at Manchester they have always made her go through non EU, when I politely mentioned to officer

that we went through together at Heathrow I was told "we do things properly at Manchester" and she must go to the back of the non EU lane queue!!

At BKK I've usually gone through the non Thai queue as, strangely, it's been shorter and quicker than the Thai one!

Non EU nationals entering the UK with an EU national family member using the EU queue with them is, I believe, at the immigration officer's discretion.

Before my wife and step daughter had British passports, at LHR they would join the non EU queue while I went and asked the officers on duty at the EU queue if they could come through there with me. The answer was always 'Yes, of course' so I'd wave them over.

But this is not the first time I've heard of this not being allowed at a regional airport.

Maybe they are less used to the situation than a major arrival point like LHR and so stick more rigidly to the rules?

We've had no problems at Heathrow going through the EU lane together, but at Manchester they have always made her go through non EU, when I politely mentioned to officer

that we went through together at Heathrow I was told "we do things properly at Manchester" and she must go to the back of the non EU lane queue!!

Who's to know whether it may, in fact, be Heathrow who are following the rules correctly, with Manchester doing their own thing with the sole and avowed aim of causing the maximum inconvenience and hassle possible?

We read so often on the Thai visa, residency and work permits forum of inconsistent practices and rule interpretations on the part of Thai immigration offices that we can forget that they are by no means alone in this regard across this great planet of ours - as this particular thread illustrates so graphically!

Edited by OJAS