Local authorities to propose DSI handle land intrusion on Koh Lipe Island

webfact

Local authorities to propose DSI handle land intrusion on Koh Lipe Island

5-2-2558-11-23-51-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) Region Three will propose the Minister of Justice to designate the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to take over investigation of land intrusion on Koh Lipe Island after finding influential authorities and civilians were involved.

Proposal came as park officials and the Third Navy Area have jointly inspected Koh Lipe Island and found nine luxury resorts have intruded the national park areas.

As legal action is underway and operators of these resorts were told to show their ownership documents within 90-day deadline, but eight of them have produced no such documents except petitions to delay forced eviction and demolition of trespassed property.

As deadline is imminent, no such document was produced.

Director of the PACC Region 3 said most land intrusion cases on Lipe lsland involved owners having ownership documents but the geographic location in the documents are not the same locations where their property were built.

Most intrusion cases were involved with influential people, and therefore local authorities would propose the minister to designate the DSI to handled investigation, he said.

Koh Lipe Island is in the Andaman coast of Satun province. Previously it had over 1,250 rai of forest area, but today shrank to a mere 500 rai due to intrusion by influential people to operate resort business with investment amounted to over 300 million baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/local-authorities-propose-dsi-handle-land-intrusion-koh-lipe-island

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-05

I wonder if (just for once) those influential people will have their land seized, illegal properties demolished, face a large fine/jail sentence and the civilians who faked the documents face legal action also along with losing their jobs. I doubt it.

Well fake documents, as long as I know the islands were given to the sea gypsies by either the Queen or the Kings mother (can't remember) so they have a place to stay. I doubt these lands can be sold or have a full title.

So even the correct documents are weak.

I wonder if (just for once) those influential people will have their land seized, illegal properties demolished, face a large fine/jail sentence and the civilians who faked the documents face legal action also along with losing their jobs. I doubt it.

Well fake documents, as long as I know the islands were given to the sea gypsies by either the Queen or the Kings mother (can't remember) so they have a place to stay. I doubt these lands can be sold or have a full title.

I was on Koh Bulon recently, compliments of the dad of one of my students who is high up in Dept Conservation and Parks (whatever it's called). There is a resort (only one) on one beach, and a sea gypsy village in the center of the island.

I got the impression that the resort benefits the sea gypsies greatly as it offers employment plus they supply all veges and seafood to the restaurant.

Bulon looks like it works for the natives. I don't know who profits from the resort, but in this case, I don't care. I think the resort is actually government, because my student's dad had it opened for us as it had closed for off season (and we paid nothing but had to bring our own food, but could use all facilities, including the kitchen) and he had his staff take us on his boat.

It's when the self-important, with money to build, take advantage of uneducated peasants that I object.

I hope this goes all the way to hefty fines or imprisonment.

(Koh Bulon is out seaward (west) a bit further from Lipe.)

Edited by Seastallion

I was on Koh Bulon recently, compliments of the dad of one of my students who is high up in Dept Conservation and Parks (whatever it's called). There is a resort (only one) on one beach, and a sea gypsy village in the center of the island.

I got the impression that the resort benefits the sea gypsies greatly as it offers employment plus they supply all veges and seafood to the restaurant.

Bulon looks like it works for the natives. I don't know who profits from the resort, but in this case, I don't care. I think the resort is actually government, because my student's dad had it opened for us as it had closed for off season (and we paid nothing but had to bring our own food, but could use all facilities, including the kitchen) and he had his staff take us on his boat.

It's when the self-important, with money to build, take advantage of uneducated peasants that I object.

I hope this goes all the way to hefty fines or imprisonment.

(Koh Bulon is out seaward (west) a bit further from Lipe.)

That was exactly the case on Koh Lipe 20 years ago, one resort and one village. Now look at it!

• Like 1