buying the cheapest possible condo in a thai slum just to get a yellow book

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I own a condominium in Thailand, I work here and have a Non-B visa, work permit and a bank account.

I don't have a yellow book.

What is that yellow book about, can you please explain what it is and who gets it and what's the purpose of having one.

Thanks

The Thai government (since decades ago) wants to have an address for every person in Thailand, Thais folks and foreigners.

Thais have an address, recorded in their blue Tabien Baan book.

Foreigners who are in Thailand on long-term visas (and some other circumstances) have a yellow Tabien Baan book.

Ninety day reporting is part of the quest to have an address for everybody.  

• Confused 2

Better find out where your tabien baan si leaung is going to come from before you buy a slum condo in any area

Getting a yellow book  from amphur muang Chiang Mai took several years, finally cracked the code

I heard it was easy in Hang Dong. Last year an agent was pleased/ surprised I had said impossible again

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I live here since almost 30 years, most of that time with a business visa (not leaving Thailand). And I don't have a yellow book. And I have bank accounts and vehicles in my name. What am I missing? 

Like me, you likely fall under the "(and some other circumstances)" part of the post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

The Thai government (since decades ago) wants to have an address for every person in Thailand, Thais folks and foreigners.

Thais have an address, recorded in their blue Tabien Baan book.

Foreigners who are in Thailand on long-term visas (and some other circumstances) have a yellow Tabien Baan book.

Ninety day reporting is part of the quest to have an address for everybody.  

An address? They do have an address. On the TM30 everyone submits to them when arriving in Thailand which has to be submitted 72 hours within arriving in the country. You bring your rental contract with you. You don't need any blue or yellow books or need to own any property here.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

Plenty of expats have a yellow book, similar to a pink ID Card, but it is not essential or even very useful. It saves getting a residency certificate from immigration for some things. Getting/renewing a drivers licence, for example. I often use the pink ID when checking in at hotels, rather than a passport (I know it doesn't meet the immigration requirements). 

I guess the yellow book and pink ID card (you need the yellow book before you can get the pink ID card) are just items to demonstrate you have some sort of commitment to living in Thailand. Maybe it will mean something at some future date as they keep fiddling with immigration laws. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, john donson said:

feasible or not ?

kind of getting bored with bank asking for a blue book, while foreigners cannot be on one

so I was thinking, what if I would try to find the cheapest thai social welfare condo that was available...

would that be possible to do the needed steps, after buying the piece of c... to go to ampur to get a yellow book

to finally shut up banks when they are asking their ridiculous demands of being registered as if having a passport and a retirement visa and a rental lease with your name on it is not enough

if there is  a yellow book 'agent' like they have for visa's and extension, would prefer that option...

maybe there is a whole new business model for them to start adding farangs on their tabien baan ?

yellow book isn’t really necessary for this purpose unless it’s being used as a fashion statement. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Better find out where your tabien baan si leaung is going to come from before you buy a slum condo in any area

Getting a yellow book  from amphur muang Chiang Mai took several years, finally cracked the code

I heard it was easy in Hang Dong. Last year an agent was pleased/ surprised I had said impossible again

What a bizarre post. I don't know wtf is going on here, sorry. Bit too much Tinglish for me.

Op, getting a poxy worthless book to satisfy this or that bank (never been asked) seems a bit queer. I mean, to what end? Just open the fker up and chuck some money in online. When it's extension time, bung the girl 200 for the letter and be done with it. Why one would feel the need to spend millions on a s.hole condo to expedite this type of process or whatever is beyond me.

13 hours ago, john donson said:

feasible or not ?

kind of getting bored with bank asking for a blue book, while foreigners cannot be on one

so I was thinking, what if I would try to find the cheapest thai social welfare condo that was available...

would that be possible to do the needed steps, after buying the piece of c... to go to ampur to get a yellow book

to finally shut up banks when they are asking their ridiculous demands of being registered as if having a passport and a retirement visa and a rental lease with your name on it is not enough

if there is  a yellow book 'agent' like they have for visa's and extension, would prefer that option...

maybe there is a whole new business model for them to start adding farangs on their tabien baan ?

Wouldn't it just be easier to create a bank account in a new branch or Bank? Unless your money was illegally gained from Viami Mice.

The yellow house book has nothing to do with ownership of the property, it is simply a register of where you are living. 

You are legally entitled to get a yellow house book here and having the ombudsman on speed dial while at the amphur office, along with printouts of the legally required documents, so that the officer can explain to the ombudsman why they are refusing to give you one will see you receive it rather quickly. 

Sorry, we don't understand the issue, please explain it to the ombudsman so they can explain it to us, then call them. 

Edited by JeffersLos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been registered at my TGF's in Korat for the past 6 years. Some months ago I went to the amphur to ask about getting the yellow book (and after that, the pink ID card) but the amphur asked if we're married. We're not, so they said get married and then come back and we'll see about it then. Well, for an assortment of reason I don't want to get married. Anyway, I've been living in Thailand for a very long time, a few decades now, and have got along OK without a yellow book & pink card. I have 2 bank accounts, and own my car in my name. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, john donson said:

...to finally shut up banks when they are asking their ridiculous demands of being registered as if having a passport and a retirement visa and a rental lease with your name on it is not enough...

Would probably be a (lot) cheaper to visit the local immigration office and get a letter with address confirmation; it might cost you 500 baht in fee, some places it's even free...:whistling:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, john donson said:

what if I would try to find the cheapest thai social welfare condo that was available...

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but maybe think again what you would do with such an address.

I.e. if you would go to the bank and they ask you for your address, do you think it would be smart to give the bank and address from "the cheapest thai social welfare condo that was available".

Imagine their reaction: This is where you live sir? Sorry, we can't give you any credit card...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, john donson said:

John I dont know if it has been mentioned, but a yellow book can obtained through someone who has a blue book, this can be a Thai who you are renting a house/condo from (although many Thais feel reluctant because they just pocket the rent--(not declare Tax)

Or any Thai person who just  STATES that you are living in their house/Condo etc even with them/Her--it may be a cheaper way then buying a condo.

Alternatively Agents can usually open a bank account for you, or clear the way on other hurdles  for a fee.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe someone mentioned this already, but maybe think again what you would do with such an address.

I.e. if you would go to the bank and they ask you for your address, do you think it would be smart to give the bank and address from "the cheapest thai social welfare condo that was available".

Imagine their reaction: This is where you live sir? Sorry, we can't give you any credit card...

They won't give you an unsecured (prepaid) credit card anyway.  Asked many years it's always the same.  I am sure someone will chime in and say they got one no problem but the banks all make their own rules so we won't all have the same experiences.  I've been banking with BKK for ten years and more or less for fun I tried with them to no avail.  Truth be told I wouldn't trust their security or the police to do anything if my card was used without authorization.  I'm much happier carrying debit cards with controlled limits balances and sms notifications.  My KTB debit card is VISA branded so works everywhere.  I recently noticed some fraud attempts on my Wise card and since I keep the currency balances empty until just before a purchase I had no fears at all.   Sorry for the derail. As you were.

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

What a bizarre post. I don't know wtf is going on here, sorry. Bit too much Tinglish for me.

Op, getting a poxy worthless book to satisfy this or that bank (never been asked) seems a bit queer. I mean, to what end? Just open the fker up and chuck some money in online. When it's extension time, bung the girl 200 for the letter and be done with it. Why one would feel the need to spend millions on a s.hole condo to expedite this type of process or whatever is beyond me.

What a vainglorious post. I use the yellow book instead of a COR

Don't know obsolete Northumbrian patter neither does the bank girl when you bung her a poxy 200. Reckon that went out with the 23 skidoo. No wonder you're confused.

1 hour ago, LikeItHot said:

They won't give you an unsecured (prepaid) credit card anyway.

Many people, including me, have such cards. We work (with work permit).

Currently 3 times my monthly salary is the limit.

I think they do it up to 5 times monthly salary, I don't know under which conditions and I don't need it so I never checked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I own a condominium in Thailand, I work here and have a Non-B visa, work permit and a bank account.

I don't have a yellow book.

What is that yellow book about, can you please explain what it is and who gets it and what's the purpose of having one.

Thanks

Same here.

I live in a villa and only have a blue book. No name in it. WP and visa, all kosher. A number of bank accounts in different banks.

You do not need a yellow book.

You may need a rental agreement though depending on the bank.

The last bank that I went to to open an additional deposit account wanted a POA from immigration. Immigration here do not provide these any more so I just went to another bank.