Best Place to Get a RAM Upgrade in Bangkok While You Wait

Spouse

Hello,

I'd like to get another stick of 4GB ram to bring the total up to 8GB on my laptop.

Can anyone recommend the best place in terms of price and service where I can take my laptop in Bangkok and have them sell me and install the RAM on the spot?

I don't want to drop my laptop off for an extended period.

Thanks.

Many stores will do this for free if you ask nicely and they're not busy with other customers... or... read the manual for your laptop model and it will should show you how to do it yourself. It's simple enough for most laptops these days. If it's an older model then check to see if you can upgrade to 8GB and that you have a spare slot. For Windows check you are using Windows 64, otherwise the extra RAM will be a waste of time unless you do a re install from Win 32. If you really want a shop to do it for you then tell them you want to confirm the new RAM works with your laptop, so could they test it for you please smile.png

Edited by kkerry

I've recommended PRO-CORNER computer repair on the 3rd level of FORTUNE TOWER, directly above the Rama-9 MRT station many times and have always gotten positive feedback.

They have always been honest and competent. The manager speaks excellent English.

You may well find that your laptop is already maxed-out with RAM.. Laptops have limited RAM Slots (often 2 slots) and are often filled with the cheapest RAM (E.G 2 * 2GB chips)

You may have to buy an 8GB chip or 2 * 4GB

And kkerry is correct unless you are running 64bit Windows then anything over 4GB will be unusable.

I've had pretty good experience in general with most of the J.I.B. stores. They usually carry and install kingston ram which is decent. I even had them build me a new computer while I waited so I'm pretty sure they could install ram which takes 5 minutes.

Check your laptop with www.crucial.com it will advise if upgrade is possible.

+ 1. OP, please run this program and it will show you all you need to know. And please keep in mind that an up-grade is only useful, if you're running the 64 bit version.

Just checked mine and I've for two 2 GB DDR 3 memory cards installed, running Windows 32. Would I like to upgrade mine to 64 bit, with 8 GB of memory, I'd have to buy two 4 GB sticks, plus a new W 7 64 bit program.

I'd go to an Advice store, they'll do the upgrade for you and you can see if it's suitable for your system, or not.

When I go to my computer- system information, it tells me that only 2.99 GB are usable.

It takes not longer than 5 minutes to do such an upgrade.

Edited by lostinisaan

+ 1. OP, please run this program and it will show you all you need to know. And please keep in mind that an up-grade is only useful, if you're running the 64 bit version.

Just checked mine and I've for two 2 GB DDR 3 memory cards installed, running Windows 32. Would I like to upgrade mine to 64 bit, with 8 GB of memory, I'd have to buy two 4 GB sticks, plus a new W 7 64 bit program.

I'd go to an Advice store, they'll do the upgrade for you and you can see if it's suitable for your system, or not.

When I go to my computer- system information, it tells me that only 2.99 GB are usable.

It doesn't cost anything to upgrade to 64 bit.

• Like 1

Would an upgrade to 64 bit increase the machine's speed, when having only 4 GB of DDR 3?

Edited by lostinisaan

Would an upgrade to 64 bit increase the machine's speed, when having only 4 GB of DDR 3?

A lot of different factors involved. But a clean install always helps. 3 GB barrier

• Like 1