Best way for 60 day tourist visa from Chiang Mai

I am looking for the easiest and cheapest (I know these words don't belong together) way to get a 60 day tourist visa from Chiang Mai. I have looked at flights into Laos and it seems a little too expensive. Multiple entry would be preferred but single will work. I am a US citizen. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Have you checked Nok Air for fly/ride flights to Vientiane via Udon Thani from CM. Or you can get a flight to Udon Thani and take a van from the airport to the bridge in Nong Kai.

Next option is dong it by bus from CM.

Vientiane does a 2 entry visa.

Kev, The OP was asking about going from Chiang Mai. Penang is neither easy nor cheap. Nor best. Go back to your coffee.

I'm not sure if it is the same Penang that we're talking about, but from my experience the biggest issue was how to kill time for 1 day (there are various ways), and I did not came out broke from going there.

Yes take a flight to Uhdon Thani then the Freedom Bridge van to the border. Make sure it is the Freedom Bridge Vip van 200 baht. They sell tickets just right of the exit door. Plenty of people to help you there. 15 baht for freedom bridge bus, $35 US dollars for Laos Visa Then about 150 baht for van to your hotel. Let me know if you want more info.

Edited by ToddinChonburi
  • Like 1

Yes take a flight to Uhdon Thani then the Freedom Bridge van to the border. Make sure it is the Freedom Bridge Vip van 200 baht. They sell tickets just right of the exit door. Plenty of people to help you there. 15 baht for freedom bridge bus, $35 US dollars for Laos Visa Then about 150 baht for van to your hotel. Let me know if you want more info.

So far sounds like the best option. What paperwork is required? Proof of funds, etc.? Is it next day processing? I came to Thailand on an ED visa and this is my first time having to leave and re-enter. So this will be a brand new experience for me. Thanks again for all the help.

Kev, The OP was asking about going from Chiang Mai. Penang is neither easy nor cheap. Nor best. Go back to your coffee.

I'm not sure if it is the same Penang that we're talking about, but from my experience the biggest issue was how to kill time for 1 day (there are various ways), and I did not came out broke from going there.

Chiang Mai to Vientiane on Nok for 5,000 baht roundtrip including the Lao visa. It takes approx 2 1/2 hours.

Please tell me how to get from Chiang Mai to Penang faster or for less money.

Chiang Mai to Vientiane on Nok for 5,000 baht roundtrip including the Lao visa. It takes approx 2 1/2 hours.

My point was not to compare Baht for Baht but simply say that Penang remains an easy destination for toursit visa.

If comparing, Penang (Laos) has no visa cost, beaches and places to visit.

Each one can look at the different options and decide by himself depending of budget and personal preference.

My point was not to compare Baht for Baht but simply say that Penang remains an easy destination for toursit visa.

Each one can look at the different options and decide by himself depending of budget and personal preference.

It is possible to go to Penang and back with air asia for less than 5000 Baht depending on the promotions. I have one booked for next month myself. Also, as someone pointed out you dont have any fees to enter Malaysia and personally i much prefer to go there rather than Laos.

Maybe I am missing something here but if you only need sixty days you can enter on visa exempt for 30 days then pay immigration for a 30 day extension which is the new rule (had my brother do it last month). This would give you 60 days and cost about 1900 baht if I remember correctly.

Kurt

OK when you get to Vientaine consulate get your que number and then go upstairs and they will make copies of what you need from your passport and take your picture. Could not be easier. Douangpraseuth Hotel Cheap hotel right next to consulate If you do not mind spending a little time in Laos, Go to consulate on Friday and pick up Passport on Monday. Friday is very slow day and you get in and out in about 30 minutes. Then relax , enjoy Veintaine for the weekend. You can pay for food with baht but they give you change in kip. So bring a pocket full of change a lot of 100' s There is a few cheap places to eat around there . D

Double entry tourist Visa 2000 baht

It is possible to go to Penang and back with air asia for less than 5000 Baht depending on the promotions. I have one booked for next month myself. Also, as someone pointed out you dont have any fees to enter Malaysia and personally i much prefer to go there rather than Laos.

I'm just trying to answer the OP's question.

It's possible to go to Vientiane for 3500 baht RT including the Lao visa when Nok Air has a sale. CNX to Penang is currently 6000 baht RT on Air Asia.

He could take the train with a 3rd class seat; that's even cheaper.

It's also a minimum of 6 hours each way from CNX to Penang.

I don't care where he goes. He didn't ask which one is nicer to spend a few days.

@cmth...................

Just a warning , I am sure I read on a thread ( I thought here at TV) recently that you need to have your ED visa cancelled BEFORE they will let you get a Tourist Visa..............meaning they dont just cancel the ed visa and issue a tourist visa.

But on your question, when I had to do a few visa runs ( before I got my Non Imm "O" ( retirement) visa) I met many people from Chiang Rai / Chiang Mai at the border. Most had used bus from there to Udon but to my mind a direct flight would be best( though I do not know about the timings of flights).

Search the threads here for the processes at border and embassy as there are many posts here about it ( I posted full details about this just last week) on another thread. You need to know about timing issues ................embassy closes for applications at 11.30am and pick up passport and visa NEXT day from 1.30pm.

Also be aware of ALL PUBLIC HOLIDAYS as embassy will be closed.

Novo58 great post brilliant info I have to go next month I have a double entry visa witch I obtained in the u.k first 60 days up 6th of February so I ...
www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794150-visa-run.../page-2

Edit............. Just looked at nok air flights and times are not great(arrive Udon 17:15), would mean overnight in Udon or 2 nights in Vientienne if you arrive Udon and go straight to Laos but should have plenty of time when returning to Udon to make flight home same evening.

AVOID border on a Monday its is chaos. Remember to have PHOTOS( at least 2 - but more just in case) and a pen .

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by novo58

Maybe I am missing something here but if you only need sixty days you can enter on visa exempt for 30 days then pay immigration for a 30 day extension which is the new rule (had my brother do it last month). This would give you 60 days and cost about 1900 baht if I remember correctly.

Kurt

The reason I asked about a tourist visa is so that I can get at least 90 days. 60 + 30 extenstion.

@cmth...................

Just a warning , I am sure I read on a thread ( I thought here at TV) recently that you need to have your ED visa cancelled BEFORE they will let you get a Tourist Visa..............meaning they dont just cancel the ed visa and issue a tourist visa.

But on your question, when I had to do a few visa runs ( before I got my Non Imm "O" ( retirement) visa) I met many people from Chiang Rai / Chiang Mai at the border. Most had used bus from there to Udon but to my mind a direct flight would be best( though I do not know about the timings of flights).

Search the threads here for the processes at border and embassy as there are many posts here about it ( I posted full details about this just last week) on another thread. You need to know about timing issues ................embassy closes for applications at 11.30am and pick up passport and visa NEXT day from 1.30pm.

Also be aware of ALL PUBLIC HOLIDAYS as embassy will be closed.

Novo58 great post brilliant info I have to go next month I have a double entry visa witch I obtained in the u.k first 60 days up 6th of February so I ...
www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794150-visa-run.../page-2

Hope this is helpful.

Can anyone verify that ED visa cancellation is necessary? I was attending a private language school and my understanding is that I have been on a permission to stay basis every 90 days.

Take a minivan trip to Vientine, 1800B rotundtrip.......leaves at night, gets there in the morning.....Nong Kai......They will guide you through......A visa for Laos will cost you 1500B.......then onto the Thai Embassy........apply for your visa and wait overnite......should be no problem.....Photos and applications all avail......Leave Nong Kai at night, back in CM in the morning :-)

Back in the 1980s Penang was one of the few options for a visa renewal, the other being the consulate in Kota Bharu. Not sure how much it has changed, but the food was so good in Penang that it was a pleasure to visit and simply drink some beers at the Swiss Hotel between meals.