What does Putin really want in Ukraine?

webfact

I remain shocked that anyone could actually believe that Putin would risk a thermonuclear war over a failed state. Failed in every respect.

absolutely, at this very moment I am in Russia and discussed this issue with some businessmen. They say that the conflict in Ukrain is limited to the east where 80% of the population is Russian. They want for these people the status of Federal State within Ukrain. That's all. If tomorrow the Russians in east Ukrain lay down their weapons they will be killed by the Ukrain army. I don't claim this is the whole truth, I just want to let you know how my contacts perceive it.

If 80% of the population of eastern Ukraine speak Russian and want to be part of that country, let them go emigrate there!

Ukraine would very likely reclaim its sovereign territory which it has every right to if the rebels surrended, but the country wants to join the EU and no way are they going to jeopardise their chances of achieving that by embarking on a killing spree.

The businessmen you spoke to are just being brainwashed by the bs the Russian media is churning out at Putin's behest.