Alleged Nigerian romance scam gang leader nabbed for duping Thai women to wire over Bt10m

Thaivisa News

I'm amazed by the hostility towards Thai women on this thread. You guys do understand that these women who were ripped-off are Thai women genuinely interested in western men. The typical Thai women who have no interest in farangs will never get conned in this way. Perhaps this scam--along with the attitudes of many here--should reinforce to Thai women that the only thing a farang is good for is cold hard cash.

"Reap what you sow" perhaps? The hostility is most likely due to being burnt but the "stupidity" of that will rarely be admitted. That "stupidity" will always belong to somebody else. Hindsight may be an effective source of learning but here it becomes an opportunity to lecture as if it was some natural wisdom. Yeah....right.!

Yeah right! A Thai "lady" who is genuinely interested in western men. Huh???? Duh!!!!coffee1.gif

My wife would like to meet you ! Briefly

Are Nigerians genetically programmed to commit crime?

It seems that way, but in fact, the issue in Nigeria is the same as in the Philippines and to some small extent Cambodia and Thailand. They have a huge population ( 173 Mill ) and there is effectively no middle class any more. Their world is full of The Super Rich and the Super Poor.

If you are part of the poor, the chances are good that you will not go to school past age 8. You might inherit a profession from your father, you may find a job or you more likely, will be unemployed for your entire life. In Ghana and Nigeria both I saw 3rd generation unemployed who are a larger percentage than you might imagine.

Being both poor and unemployed does not make you stupid, it programs you to see every possible opportunity and to take advantage of it in every way possible and it teaches you that Morals, Ethics and Standards are the tools of the rich which are only used as whips to control the poor. If you do not succeed in finding a shelf to sit on, you are literally doomed to starvation or working a 17 hour day for food scraps only.

I am critical of them and I detest their system but I must admit to a small respect for their inbuilt driving dynamic. They are not lazy and will work very hard to achieve whatever they need or want. They are attracted to bright lights and colours like moths to a flame because these expose weaknesses in human nature which can be exploited, and indeed, most forms of crime are simply the exploitation of human weakness and this is an area in which the Nigerian is well equipped to survive and even prosper. There is no competing with them one they become fixated.

"Morals, Ethics and Standards are the tools of the rich which are only used as whips to control the poor"

So, if a murderer worked very hard to commit contract killings and not get caught, would that impress you, too? OK, so long as he grew up poor? Or just so long as you're not the victim... No? That's absurd? Well then, which crimes are "OK" for whom to commit, and which ones not? And who decides?

• Like 1

Just by way of interest, this is an item from today's news. It seems the 419 Advance Fee scam is catching on here more quickly than even I expected. Maybe it is time to start digging that moat and importing sharks....

Bangkok:- A couple has allegedly made more than Bt1.5 million from their fraudulent online advertisements about cute cats for sale.

The free advertisements say Persian or Scottish Fold cats are available at a very cheap price. However, after hundreds of victims transferred money to the advertisers’ bank account, they have never really got a kitty.

Tammanit Thaowannee, 31, and his girlfriend are behind this fraudulent scheme, according to police.

“I’ve got this idea because I was once a victim of a similar scheme,” Tammanit told police.

Describing himself as a cat lover, he said he spent much money on his cat’s medical bill in 2013 and thus decided to start the fraud.

“There must have been over 250 victims already,” he said. While he is now in police detention, his girlfriend is still on the run.

Pol Maj General Panurat Lakboon, commander of Patrol and Special Operation Division, says police tracked down Tammanit after a group of victims came forward.

“He and his girlfriend have lured each of their victims to transfer between Bt5,000 and Bt27,000 to their bank account as a deposit for the cat that has never been delivered,” he says.

Rattana Norarat, one of the victims, says she lost Bt10,000 to this con couple last month and immediately lodged a complaint with a police.

“After that, I have also created a Facebook page to bring together other victims,” she says. Rattana’s group has found more than 50 victims and they are preparing to pursue legal actions against the alleged con couple together.

Just by way of interest, this is an item from today's news. It seems the 419 Advance Fee scam is catching on here more quickly than even I expected. Maybe it is time to start digging that moat and importing sharks....

Bangkok:- A couple has allegedly made more than Bt1.5 million from their fraudulent online advertisements about cute cats for sale.

The free advertisements say Persian or Scottish Fold cats are available at a very cheap price. However, after hundreds of victims transferred money to the advertisers’ bank account, they have never really got a kitty.

Tammanit Thaowannee, 31, and his girlfriend are behind this fraudulent scheme, according to police.

“I’ve got this idea because I was once a victim of a similar scheme,” Tammanit told police.

Describing himself as a cat lover, he said he spent much money on his cat’s medical bill in 2013 and thus decided to start the fraud.

“There must have been over 250 victims already,” he said. While he is now in police detention, his girlfriend is still on the run.

Pol Maj General Panurat Lakboon, commander of Patrol and Special Operation Division, says police tracked down Tammanit after a group of victims came forward.

“He and his girlfriend have lured each of their victims to transfer between Bt5,000 and Bt27,000 to their bank account as a deposit for the cat that has never been delivered,” he says.

Rattana Norarat, one of the victims, says she lost Bt10,000 to this con couple last month and immediately lodged a complaint with a police.

“After that, I have also created a Facebook page to bring together other victims,” she says. Rattana’s group has found more than 50 victims and they are preparing to pursue legal actions against the alleged con couple together.

Yes it seems that unusual and quality pussy commands a high price

Are Nigerians genetically programmed to commit crime?

It seems that way, but in fact, the issue in Nigeria is the same as in the Philippines and to some small extent Cambodia and Thailand. They have a huge population ( 173 Mill ) and there is effectively no middle class any more. Their world is full of The Super Rich and the Super Poor.

If you are part of the poor, the chances are good that you will not go to school past age 8. You might inherit a profession from your father, you may find a job or you more likely, will be unemployed for your entire life. In Ghana and Nigeria both I saw 3rd generation unemployed who are a larger percentage than you might imagine.

Being both poor and unemployed does not make you stupid, it programs you to see every possible opportunity and to take advantage of it in every way possible and it teaches you that Morals, Ethics and Standards are the tools of the rich which are only used as whips to control the poor. If you do not succeed in finding a shelf to sit on, you are literally doomed to starvation or working a 17 hour day for food scraps only.

I am critical of them and I detest their system but I must admit to a small respect for their inbuilt driving dynamic. They are not lazy and will work very hard to achieve whatever they need or want. They are attracted to bright lights and colours like moths to a flame because these expose weaknesses in human nature which can be exploited, and indeed, most forms of crime are simply the exploitation of human weakness and this is an area in which the Nigerian is well equipped to survive and even prosper. There is no competing with them one they become fixated.

Thailand and Cambodia do NOT share the population pressures of Nigeria that you are talking about. Thailand's population of around 66-67 million has not changed much over the last few years and it's birth rate is amongst the lowest in the world at 1.4 babies born per mother. That's significantly lower than in many western countries such as Australia, where at 1.8 or is it 1.9 children per mother the birth rate has actually increased in recent years.

And apart from a token number of expats, most of whom simply replace departing expats and the same can be said for migrant workers, net migration into Thailand is effectively 0, hence population growth in Thailand mainly comes from a net increase due to more births than deaths and not immigration.

Unemployment is much less of a problem in Thailand and even Cambodia than in Nigeria. In fact, if the official statistics are to be believed, Thailand claims some of the world's lowest unemployment scores. Underemployment is a major issue, but the authorities view that as being acceptable because even if you're selling sausages from a street cart, you're considered to be employed. By contrast as you say Nigeria is a whole other world.

I disagree with your assessment of Nigerian scammers. Those guys are lazy - they would rather use simple ways of scamming than find a more respectable job, even if such jobs pay less, are more difficult to perform and more difficult to find. The scammers are simply trying to survive and they have found scamming an easy way to make a ton of money, almost like winning the lottery but much easier.

Good he was arrested, now please continue to arrest all the other SCUM BAG NIGERIANS that are doing the same.

Are you suggesting that the only farang SCUM BAGS in LOS are the Nigerians? Huh?coffee1.gif

I guess it was okay when England control Nigeria and stole everything from poor Nigeria

No, that's called colonization and the resultant transfer of technology. If the Brits hadn't been there and taught the locals, the Nigerians wouldn't have a good enough command of English to scam so easily over the internet.

So actually the British government should be held responsible for the Nigerian scams?

Goodnight! Sleep tight! Cheerswhistling.gif

have you been to the Ghana plaza (formerly the Nana plaza) latley...very different from years ago...

Very easy now to catch something nasty

It never ceases to amaze me, that the biggest "Farang khao" losers, are also always the most argumentative, and the most bigoted posters to this forum. After all these years, green job, you're still hanging-out @ Nana Plaza? Huh? Water truly does seek it's own (get the drift here) levels. Obviously, your life, in the LOS, has been a string of dismal failures. Of course, you'll also blame those failures on the Nigerians, as well. Right? You poor "baby"! whistling.gif

I take it you are one of the Black Scamers,,, Your scamming days are coming to an end. Writing bull-Shxt I must admit is a great skill,and you are

the masters. I also think you are a Baiter,and at that you are also Master..

Now go and crawl back into the hole you come from. Its all white mans magic.