Magic Thai Monk simmers in stew pot

webfact

Gullible ... but what can you expect from a population that is largely uneducated and where superstition overrides logical thinking.

Amulets, fabric ... is there no hope for this country?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/16915/Three-Four-Americans-Believe-Paranormal.aspx?utm_source=position2&utm_medium=related&utm_campaign=tiles

"PRINCETON, NJ -- About three in four Americans profess at least one paranormal belief, according to a recent Gallup survey. The most popular is extrasensory perception (ESP), mentioned by 41%, followed closely by belief in haunted houses (37%). The full list of items includes"

I think we should look at our own countries before we start criticising the Thais !

:)

• Like 2

Not saying what he is doing is real, but simply based upon the image, it appears that there are bubbles rising up from the oil (to the left of his body). Nor does the fact that he may be not be kneeling directly upon the hot metal is not an automatic debunk either. Anyone who has done any cooking will know that the stuff at the bottom of a metal pot can burn while the rest that is merely simmering in the liquid does not. So he may be insulated from the bottom of the pan by a wooden platform.

As the scientist said, the only way to test the display is to measure the temperature of the oil. As for what a human can endure :

In 1775 Charles Blagden, Secretary of the Royal Society, entered a room heated by a furnace to at least 260°F (around 127°C). At this temperature the ‘greatest part of a beefsteak was pretty well done in 13 minutes’ and eggs that were removed after 20 minutes were found to be ‘roasted quite hard’. Yet Dr Blagden and his colleagues were unharmed by an 8-minute exposure and their core temperature did not change. Furthermore, their dog, wrapped in a blanket to protect its feet from burning on the floor, remained there for 30 minutes and was ‘little so affected during the whole time as to show signs of pleasure whenever we approached the basket’. Blagden and colleagues showed that the reason humans and dogs are able to survive such heat is owing to evaporative cooling, either from sweating, as in the case of humans, or from panting, as in the case of the dog.

Frances Ashcroft, University of Oxford.

If you can't tell the difference between the experiment and this monk's "prank" - then you need to go back to school.

There are some things that simply don't need testing because they are so damned stupid - this is one of them, homeopathy is another.

Edited by cumgranosalum
  • Like 1

walking over hot coals , broken glass, suspended in a glass box for weeks no food or water, there is always an element of trickery involved unless you are gullible to believe in hocus pocus . much of religion and events documented in history associated with such frivolities only serve to further maintain a gullible congregation. Do magic shows by the likes of David Copperfield , David Biane , et al, stop us watching their exploits or do we carry on watching. Carry on I say, if it entertains without harming, let it be .

walking over hot coals , broken glass, suspended in a glass box for weeks no food or water, there is always an element of trickery involved unless you are gullible to believe in hocus pocus . much of religion and events documented in history associated with such frivolities only serve to further maintain a gullible congregation. Do magic shows by the likes of David Copperfield , David Biane , et al, stop us watching their exploits or do we carry on watching. Carry on I say, if it entertains without harming, let it be .

Mental training and simply technical faking like this monk does are different things. With mental training you can gain more then most people realize, but put Yingluck in that pan and she will not cook either.

But what this monk does is a perfect example of all what Thai 'Buddhism' is about!

Edited by Mcffee
  • Like 1

The meek will always believe in religious hocuspocus, whether it's miracle healings at Lourdes, "weeping" statues or "invincible" Buddhist monks sitting in "boiling" oil.

The monk certainly is fully aware that he is basically cheating, and that makes him a despicable scammer preying on naive religious worshippers - at least in my eyes.

I suggest subjecting this scammer to a scientific test under controlled conditions and immerse him in real boiling oil. Let's see how "invincible" he truly is. We all know the result, don't we?

Aw c'mon. I love the magic monk stories. I remember trying (and failing) to keep a straight face when some Thais told me about their 'magic monk' experiences.

One wouldn't burn when he died. He didn't even go black etc. Stayed exactly the same. The had to bury him whole and he didn't rot. Now, I reckon this would still be big news if true.

The other story was my favourite. The monk you couldn't kill. He would ask people to attack him with fists, bats, knives and GUNS (yes, guns). If you tried to hit him, your hand would 'stop' in mid air. Same with a knife or bat. Like an invisible force field was protecting him. If you tried to shoot him the bullet would miss him. If you pressed the gun against his head, it wouldn't fire.

Yes, I was crying with laughter at this point (more to do with the images of all the locals turing up with bats, guns and trying to kick the living hell out of this monk ) and I upset a few Thais that night (not proud if it..just warning you to maybe take a walk when the 'magic monk' stories start so you can avoid upsetting the locals)

Oh, forgot about the 'monkey monk'. He shot his pet monkey. He then had an affair with a local woman. The kid she had (rumoured to be the monk's) was born with a birth mark on the head and was mentally disabled. Here is where I lost control.

This kid also loved climbing trees, grooming other people's hair and eating bananas all day. His name? Ling, of course.

Edited by Fatty123
  • Like 1

That is quite the trick, and good for pictures! Not sure how hot the eggs, got

but maybe no babies to worry about in his future. That lady in the back ground to the right size of

the pot is Yo Ma Ma, or some one like that! Ha ha just my little joke.

Stargeezer

I once watched this series of programs that showed how they debunked all of the well known and difficult tricks. The guy that demonstrated had a mask on and they mentioned disclaimers and so forth. It was very interesting and was almost too simplistic and silly how they showed how these were done.

All smoke and mirrors, pun intended.

It is a shame that we have a monk like this who is a total sham. Whether he is a properly ordained monk we have not been told. I say its a shame because I know so many good compassionate monks that only have the welfare of their community in mind. Teaching in local schools (and not just theology), organizing and managing community projects, tending the sick and dying etc. Plus what we normally see, blessing houses, couples getting married etc. On occasions they play the part equivalent to the western physiologist.

I have one brother-in law who is a monk, and is a university graduate in High-school education, there are many who have tertiary degrees. Scamming monks are very few and far between. After all the wandering monk with his alms bowl is an enduring image of life in the Kingdom.

All priests, of any religion are only entertainers.

Since most people here are Christian, I'll use that example. Most Christians think all you have to do to go to "Heaven" is to "believe" in "Jesus" (John 3:16).

OK, then the whole point of a Priest standing up in front of a congregation then becomes ritual, spectacle or inspiration, not a "requirement" for entry into "Heaven"...

The Magic of Myth: Basically humans like to entertain ourselves with tales of Bullshit.

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 2

Good to see Thailand moving rapidly into the 16th century and still believing in magical powers. Well done. Religion(s) like this are the con of the millenia.

Amazing someone in the 21st century can disclaim that magical powers don't exist when there are so many things that scientists cannot disprove, even after centuries.

Do you really believe that certain monk or yogis etc can't control their bodies? You are showing your ignorance in this post.

Do you know how many years there have been in this millennium?

Maybe they can but the teachings of the Buddha were about ending suffering, nothing more, nothing less. Supernatural powers have nothing to do with buddhism. Period.

Amazing how many people here like to have a go at anything Thai. As Shakespeare said " there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

To not believe in mind over matter is ignorant. Look at the Shaolin monks, yogis in India etc. Through meditation one can block out pain totally.

Has nothing to do with buddhism however...

• Like 1

Good to see Thailand moving rapidly into the 16th century and still believing in magical powers. Well done. Religion(s) like this are the con of the millenia.

Amazing someone in the 21st century can disclaim that magical powers don't exist when there are so many things that scientists cannot disprove, even after centuries.

Do you really believe that certain monk or yogis etc can't control their bodies? You are showing your ignorance in this post.

Maybe they can but the teachings of the Buddha were about ending suffering, nothing more, nothing less. Supernatural powers have nothing to do with buddhism. Period.

No maybe about it - t's a scientific fact.

I agree re what Buddha taught but the religion in Thailand incorporates Animism, Hinduism and Fetishism too.

Like any religion, the latter day followers don't practice what the "prophets" actually taught.

http://listverse.com/2013/05/21/10-amazing-examples-of-mind-over-matter/

It's time to grill him about his money making stunt not boil the Scumbag.

You're ready do the real thing? I prepare a wok for you.

A word of advice - never publicly criticize people with powers, especially monks - I've witnessed some bad things happening to those who have.

First precept for ALL buddhists:

I undertake to abstain from causing harm and taking life.

Nice monks who hurt people for a little criticism. Your remarks are all complete male cow manure.

• Like 1

No maybe about it - t's a scientific fact.

I agree re what Buddha taught but the religion in Thailand incorporates Animism, Hinduism and Fetishism too.

Like any religion, the latter day followers don't practice what the "prophets" actually taught.

http://listverse.com/2013/05/21/10-amazing-examples-of-mind-over-matter/

Monks having a contest in who can dry the most sheets through control of body heat, you couldn't be more wrong about the buddha's teachings. To each their own... [emoji202]

While this is obviously a trick, the scientist "proved" nothing. The simply gave their views on what the trick may be.

It's very easy to disprove. Simply aim a infrared thermometer at the oil and read the temperature.

• Like 1