Where to buy fresh anchivoes

briantk41

Not totally sure, but I think the name for anchovy in Thai is Kûng khey (Khoong Khuhwee......sort of sounds like this). I only know where to purchase them in Jomtien: Made in Italy (2nd road). That makes me think you should locate an Italian deli in Bangkok and try to find them there. I do think I saw them one time in a glass jar at that fancy grocery store on the ground floor of the Paragon Mall.

Let me follow up on what I said........the Thai word for "shrimp" is kung.......so, I am not sure if "kung khey" is the correct word for anchovy. I think you are better off just going to an Italian delicatessan and seeing if you can find what you want there. Maybe take a Thai person with you, point at the anchovies and ask for the name in Thai. And I wonder if you meant "live" when you said "fresh". I have no idea if anchovies are in Thai waters.........doubt it. Good luck!

I use to buy them at Topps ( Isan area),140 bhts up until October 2014. I think i bought the majority off the self over time ( 1 year). I recently went back to the states and purchased 20 cans ($1 each).I ran out two months ago.They said they weren't restocking them because they didn't sell very well.I had a old recipe from my mother .I would make a dough with potatoe an, aroi If anybody comes across them please post where.I seen someone post 660 bht .JC thats expensive.

thai name for anchovies is "fish sauce"

The Mrs told me the name for fish sauce is nam bplaa (nam plaa) I don't think this is what the Op wants he's looking for anchovy filets in a can packed with oil.Also she said Thai's don't have a name for anchovy . A side note the Mrs knows everything too(lol)

Edited by riclag

thai name for anchovies is "fish sauce"

The Mrs told me the name for fish sauce is nam bplaa (nam plaa) I don't think this is what the Op wants he's looking for anchovy filets in a can packed with oil.Also she said Thai's don't have a name for anchovy . A side note the Mrs knows everything too(lol)

I don't think so. I think he's actually looking for anchovies fresh from the sea "Thanks. I mean dead but fresh-not alive.

Thanks again"

Most fish sauce is made from anchovies. So maybe you should contact a fish sauce company. They might sell you a few kilos. Or go around the local markets on the sea. Some people still make their own homemade fish sauce.

ปลากะตัก หรือ ปลาไส้ตัน

bplaa ga dtak reuu bplaa sai dtan

from http://www.thai-language.com/?blu=u8XSodC10aEgy8PXzSC7xdLkyum10bko

so they are called in thai either bplaa ga dtak or bplaa sai dtan

Edited by koo wallety tourist

ปลากะตัก หรือ ปลาไส้ตัน

I'm sorry, I missed your point. If your trying to say Anchovy is "bplaa ga dtak reuu bplaa sai dtan" I beg to differ,The only thing of the translation that is identifiable is fish or fish .

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ปลากะตัก

search anchovies anchovies on this forum

ปลากะตัก หรือ ปลาไส้ตัน

I'm sorry, I missed your point. If your trying to say Anchovy is "bplaa ga dtak reuu bplaa sai dtan" I beg to differ,The only thing of the translation that is identifiable is fish or fish .

i quoted them for their transliteration of thai characters to english characters only. the thai names are given in the wiki link

Edited by koo wallety tourist

The last time that I was in Mackro near me, October last year, They were in jars in the dairy case between the butter and cheese, price 660 baht. They had two jars, I bought both!

I think the Makro jars of anchovy fillets is a much better choice, albeit seemingly expensive, than the tins. The fish in the tins seems to become very pulpy after a while. Villa also has anchovies but even more expensive than Makro.

The jars that I bought at Mackro for 660 baht contained 250 grams, so that's 2.64 baht/gram. The tins that I bought in Foodland Soi 5 were 140 baht and contained 79 grams. So that's 1.77 baht/gram. The fillets in the jar were firm and the fillets in the can are "mush" and had no flavor even though they are well within the "use by date"!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I also want to purchase fresh anchovies or similar type of fish to salt down and cure myself. Can anyone tell me where I can buy in Phuket. Tried fresh markets, mako, big c, tesco lotus and local fisherman here. No results yet. Heard they catch some up north. Any information please.

In Bangkok Pala Pizza Romano may have them fresh. I know they have a pizza they have them on. I have no idea if they sell them through their deli. Here is their contact info you could call them and ask.

PALA PIZZA ASOK
MRT Sukhumvit Platform at interlink BTS-ASOK
Asok Rd., Klongtoey-nua
Wattana, Bangkok 10110
Tel: 02 259 1228-9