New data reveals Japanese people still love flip phones

thai tech

New data reveals Japanese people still love flip phones

japan-flip-phones-700x336.jpg

With today’s range of smartphones and phablets, the humble flip phone is but a distant memory for many us. However, in some parts world these old style flip phones are in big demand.

New data released by market research organisation MM Research Institute Ltd has revealed that in Japan, sales of flip phones have increased for the first time in seven years last year, whilst sales of smartphones are on the decline.

In 2014, 10.58 million flip phones were shipped in Japan, which represents a rise of some 5.7 percent, whilst shipments of smartphones fell by 5.3 per cent to just over 27 million devices during the same period, down for a second consecutive year.

According to Japan’s telecommunications ministry, the price of smartphones are amongst some of the most expensive in the developed world and as a result, consumers have opted for the more affordable flip phones, which offer basic voice calling, Internet features and simplistic cameras.

Such is the demand for flip phones in Japan that manufacturers including NEC Corp and Panasonic have stopped making smartphones having been forced out of the market by the likes of Apple and Samsung and have instead decided to focus on producing flip phones.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/japanese-people-love-flip-phones/4900/

I love my flip phone as it has long battery life and you cannot make calls unless you open it up !

So not "pocket calls" to get you in trouble :)

And I can drop my old Motorola and it just bounces and does not break....

I also have smartphones but really use it as a mini computer and have never made a call with it !

Now I just have a Data Sim in the smartphone

and some companies will not let you have a phone with a camera inside the building , my Motorola is old enough to pass that test !