Can you buy a condo in a Thai childs name?

Best thing for you self would be to not buy a leasehold unit in kid name but instead buy a freehold unit in to your own name..

Also are u registered as the real father of your child with the amphur in thailand? do u have Thai documents to prove that ?

Still have good lawyer looking for protecting your rights cause still the mother will have more rights in this matter till your child reaches 20 years..

And who can sell the unit with a court order before your child reaches 20 years ? Where the proceeding go then ?

better talk with your lawyer..usually rights of farangs have a lower status then right of thais in these matters..

DO NOT DO IT.REMEMBER IT IS THAILAND.If the property is in the childs name.The neareest benafactor if the child dies.Is there mother or etc.Not you.You would be putting the child in danger.Example...Say the mother has a thai boyfreind,which is normal.And he knows that if the child dies.The mother gets the property.BE WARNED,It is thailand.Buy the condo.in your name .If your going to use it .and leave it in your will.To be sold.And the money put in trust for your child till 21 etc.If you are not going to use it dont buy it.Condo,s are not good investments.I do not know your way of thinking.So not sure what is best to advise you.

• Like 1

This has to be wishful thinking. I'd be floored if a minor can be used in anyway as a signing authority in a contract.

I think what this comes down to is a legal trust, formal or informal. But who knows how Thai law sees this.

Send this to ask the lawyer or better yet go seek a legal opinion.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

This has to be wishful thinking. I'd be floored if a minor can be used in anyway as a signing authority in a contract.

I think what this comes down to is a legal trust, formal or informal. But who knows how Thai law sees this.

According to Thai law a minor can hold/own property, but the guardian, normally a parent, signs for the child. With property it can be difficult to sell before the child is legally competent (20 or 21 years old); some Land Offices will not allow registering a transfer of a minor’s property, as nothing can be done against the minor’s interest, but that may vary from office to office. Worth to have in mind when it comes to buying a condo, as there often are ongoing fees for service and mutual expenses.
A minor can also have bank accounts and funds/equity, and be a shareholder in a limited company.
I’ve checked that with my lawyer some years back, and my minor Thai daughter got a plot of land instead of a (low interest) child savings account in a bank, she also has mutual equity funds in banks, and is registered shareholder in a Thai limited company; so I presume it’s absolute legal, as my daughter’s holdings has been accepted by various authorities.
smile.png

According to Thai law a minor can hold/own property, but the guardian, normally a parent, signs for the child. With property it can be difficult to sell before the child is legally competent (20 or 21 years old); some Land Offices will not allow registering a transfer of a minors property, as nothing can be done against the minors interest, but that may vary from office to office. Worth to have in mind when it comes to buying a condo, as there often are ongoing fees for service and mutual expenses.

A minor can also have bank accounts and funds/equity, and be a shareholder in a limited company.

Ive checked that with my lawyer some years back, and my minor Thai daughter got a plot of land instead of a (low interest) child savings account in a bank, she also has mutual equity funds in banks, and is registered shareholder in a Thai limited company; so I presume its absolute legal, as my daughters holdings has been accepted by various authorities.

smile.png

THUMP! That's me hitting the floor lol. Thanks for this but it sounds pretty complicated, as buying a property can be in itself cumbersome but then adding this route sounds like extra layers to the equation. Not doubting but I thought otherwise.

Here's to renting..

According to Thai law a minor can hold/own property, but the guardian, normally a parent, signs for the child. With property it can be difficult to sell before the child is legally competent (20 or 21 years old); some Land Offices will not allow registering a transfer of a minors property, as nothing can be done against the minors interest, but that may vary from office to office. Worth to have in mind when it comes to buying a condo, as there often are ongoing fees for service and mutual expenses.

Ive checked that with my lawyer some years back, and my minor Thai daughter got a plot of land instead of a (low interest) child savings account in a bank, she also has mutual equity funds in banks, and is registered shareholder in a Thai limited company; so I presume its absolute legal, as my daughters holdings has been accepted by various authorities.

smile.png

THUMP! That's me hitting the floor lol. Thanks for this but it sounds pretty complicated, as buying a property can be in itself cumbersome but then adding this route sounds like extra layers to the equation. Not doubting but I thought otherwise.

Here's to renting..

Thanks,
Agree that renting is advisable for many or most. It was merely in reply to OP asking specific if a minor can hold property, a condo. When you get family, child/children, and even is of retirement age, you may think different about the future, and still wish some kind of protection of your investment – so letting your Thai minor holding some property may be a way...
smile.png

The child needs to have an ID to start. There is some paperwork that should be prepared by a lawyer and I believe it needs to be signed by a judge before going to the land office.

BS our 2 children have had property here their name since birth no problems easy no lawyers just at land office but told cant be sold until they got to 20 which one of them is. Stupid forang who know nothing spouting absolute crap as usual.

• Like 2