Pardons seen as best option for Thailand

webfact

Dishing out pardons for those clearly in the wrong and who should be experiencing the just consequences for their actions, only smacks of there being something to hide.

Maybe the fuse that has been lit, is nearing someone holding a keg, who would rather not be, and has stomped it out before it reaches and blows up in their face.

On the other hand, of course, this is symptomatic of Thai culture. With no clear moral compass guiding the nation in terms of collective religion or established moral fundamentals, i can safely predict that Thailand will continue to go round and round in these same circles until judgement day.

Let's not kid ourselves - we are a million miles way from democracy, we might as well abandon that ship now and just reconcile ourselves with the fact that some things will never change.

I for one am bored to death with this whole circus - it'a laughable, pathetic and quite frankly embarrassing.

this is symptomatic of Thai culture. With no clear moral compass guiding the nation in terms of collective religion or established moral fundamentals, i can safely predict that Thailand will continue to go round and round in these same circles until judgement day.

I agree. When even the Supreme Sangha is corrupt and politicians and business people are not bound by any rules, what example does this set for the average Thai.

• Like 1

Dishing out pardons for those clearly in the wrong and who should be experiencing the just consequences for their actions, only smacks of there being something to hide.

Maybe the fuse that has been lit, is nearing someone holding a keg, who would rather not be, and has stomped it out before it reaches and blows up in their face.

On the other hand, of course, this is symptomatic of Thai culture. With no clear moral compass guiding the nation in terms of collective religion or established moral fundamentals, i can safely predict that Thailand will continue to go round and round in these same circles until judgement day.

Let's not kid ourselves - we are a million miles way from democracy, we might as well abandon that ship now and just reconcile ourselves with the fact that some things will never change.

I for one am bored to death with this whole circus - it'a laughable, pathetic and quite frankly embarrassing.

this is symptomatic of Thai culture. With no clear moral compass guiding the nation in terms of collective religion or established moral fundamentals, i can safely predict that Thailand will continue to go round and round in these same circles until judgement day.

I agree. When even the Supreme Sangha is corrupt and politicians and business people are not bound by any rules, what example does this set for the average Thai.

Double standards abound in this country. Things were slowly improving and changing, it took a couple of massacres of innocents by the military and a financial crisis but Thailand finally got a decent constitution. With Thaksins' election and the rapid improvement of the living standards of the poor that followed a brighter future beckoned. If Thailand were able to grow a large enough middle class - rule of law and more importantly equal enforcement of the law would naturally follow. The elites hated the forward direction the country was headed in. The elites still believed this was their nation and the masses were no more than serfs. How dare they think their votes entitled them to have a say in the nations affairs. Time to wind the clock back. Time for a coup.

• Like 1

Cartam enim sceleratos?

Pardon for criminals?

That has nothing to do with justice.

This is a perversion of good and evil.

The evil will be rewarded?

What is the difference between a robber who robs a bank and a robber who robs public funds?

There must be no differences in the justice!

If the robber admits and returns completely his booty, then they should get a milder punishment.

The honest people do not have any interest in a reconciliation from evil people!

If they want a real reconciliation, then they must put out all the bad (criminal) apples.

I wonder just who is going to be authorised to pardon people in the near future or for that matter even now ?

Instead of messing about with pardons and such why not just simply stop using draconian laws that carry ridiculous and disproportionate sentences such as for LM or picking mushrooms and enforce the laws properly on other crimes that need enforcing such as dangerous driving, corruption by civil servants and fraud.

Reconciliation is just a buzzword. Democracy is what is needed, without military/elitist interference. If the yellows don't like losing elections, suck it up. The Democrats then just need to make policies that help all Thais, not just a few. Personally, I feel they've blown any chance of ever winning any election fairly. If they had any dignity, they would disband in shame. Democrats? Haven't they boycotted over 50% of general elections in Thailand (because they can't win)? What a joke!

Thaksin? If he's a criminal then he deserves locking up. I'm not sucking up to the reds here. But the military will obviously give themselves amnesty from prosecution, but will go after any of the most popular politicians that changes the membership of that 0.1% (trough feeders).

Thailand is now on the road to becoming Burma circa 2006. Anyone thinking that this is a good thing, is, quite frankly, insane.

Oh, and a jury system would helpThailand. However, I'm not convinced that selction of jurors wouid ever be 'random' if it was brought in to Thailand (red or yellow governments).

Edited by Fatty123

'Scepticism' in the BSJ dictionary is defined as: When a bunch of clowns are given a job to create a new constitution they incorporate inappropriate clauses that aren't in the best interests of the people....which leave me to believe they would better serve the people of Thailand by cleaning out klongs!

Double standards abound in this country. Things were slowly improving and changing, it took a couple of massacres of innocents by the military and a financial crisis but Thailand finally got a decent constitution. With Thaksins' election and the rapid improvement of the living standards of the poor that followed a brighter future beckoned. If Thailand were able to grow a large enough middle class - rule of law and more importantly equal enforcement of the law would naturally follow. The elites hated the forward direction the country was headed in. The elites still believed this was their nation and the masses were no more than serfs. How dare they think their votes entitled them to have a say in the nations affairs. Time to wind the clock back. Time for a coup.

Thaksin defanged every NGO, put his personal agents into every ministry, sued reporters for telling the truth about his corruption, used his governmental power to steer contracts to his or affiliated companies, hid his wealth with his servants, using his veto-proof majority in Parliament to change laws so he could sell 49% of his telecom empire to a foreign entity (and more through nominees), had his government loan Burma the money to set up a mobile phone network with equipment supplied by his company, hid vast sums offshore and repatriated them without paying taxes, had thousands murdered to stamp out amphetamine use (we are still awash in amphetamines), stirred up the hornet's nest of Southern insurgency, installed his relatives in power over the police and military, undermined the monarchy, and so on. How dare you try to pass off Thaksin's administration as anything other than a criminal enterprise? Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

Your post is 90% propaganda crap and 10% ballpark. Thaksins' 5 years of governance is still the best 5 years Thailand has ever had. I am curious though --"undermined the monarchy"-- care to elaborate?

Hmm.....

If its one thing I've noticed about Asia is that they don't invent things so much as they take ideas and improve on them.

Take a look at China and the Fast Train, they didn't invent it but they improved on it.

Of course when you apply Thai Logic (oxymoron) to this concept of taking things and improving on them you get this......

The Affluenza Defence 2.0!!!!

Now you don't have to be a rich white kid to get out of jail....You just need to have money!!!clap2.gif

Yay Thailand!!!!

*Slow clap*facepalm.gif

Edited by inquisitive lobster

About time thailand grew some balls & prosecuted to the end on all the corrupt idiots & rich boyz who make the place such a joke. Mr average get done in hefty fines or jail time for anything from dropping a cigerette, picking mushrooms, running the family market trading bussiness while the complete scum in government & high ranking businesses lie, kill & theive without any recourse.

They never, ever will. Even the Thais know this. Accept it? What else can they do? The fish stinks from the head down.

Thaksin defanged every NGO, put his personal agents into every ministry, sued reporters for telling the truth about his corruption, used his governmental power to steer contracts to his or affiliated companies, hid his wealth with his servants, using his veto-proof majority in Parliament to change laws so he could sell 49% of his telecom empire to a foreign entity (and more through nominees), had his government loan Burma the money to set up a mobile phone network with equipment supplied by his company, hid vast sums offshore and repatriated them without paying taxes, had thousands murdered to stamp out amphetamine use (we are still awash in amphetamines), stirred up the hornet's nest of Southern insurgency, installed his relatives in power over the police and military, undermined the monarchy, and so on.

How dare you try to pass off Thaksin's administration as anything other than a criminal enterprise. Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

Excellent summation of the most un-pardon-able administration.

thumbsup.gif

Thaksin defanged every NGO, put his personal agents into every ministry, sued reporters for telling the truth about his corruption, used his governmental power to steer contracts to his or affiliated companies, hid his wealth with his servants, using his veto-proof majority in Parliament to change laws so he could sell 49% of his telecom empire to a foreign entity (and more through nominees), had his government loan Burma the money to set up a mobile phone network with equipment supplied by his company, hid vast sums offshore and repatriated them without paying taxes, had thousands murdered to stamp out amphetamine use (we are still awash in amphetamines), stirred up the hornet's nest of Southern insurgency, installed his relatives in power over the police and military, undermined the monarchy, and so on. How dare you try to pass off Thaksin's administration as anything other than a criminal enterprise? Don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

Your post is 90% propaganda crap and 10% ballpark. Thaksins' 5 years of governance is still the best 5 years Thailand has ever had. I am curious though --"undermined the monarchy"-- care to elaborate?

5 years of corruption! You must be a democracy "at any cost" supporter. coffee1.gif I support democracy when it is for the benefit of the majority and NOT the few.

I agree wholeheartedly. I frequently move among the 'average' Thai and to a man/woman they feel disempowered and not at all enamoured of the present Incumbent as the farang contingent here would have you believe, and I live in the South.

But what lies in wait for those Thai who would disagree with the status quo? Lengthy jail terms courtesy of draconian defamation/LM laws, or a bullet to the head. And if you believe the current mob will fix that, cite me just one instance. You won't/can't will you. Because the majority of posters on this forum only complain about all and anything spoils their 'fun'. From tarts to beer sales restrictions.

Edited by tif

5 years of corruption! You must be a democracy "at any cost" supporter. coffee1.gif I support democracy when it is for the benefit of the majority and NOT the few.

How bizarre.

The coup literally benefits the few and denies the overwhelming majority of Thais (not just Reds) of their rights and freedoms.

You my friend have lost touch with reality.

Only small time crooks get punished in Thailand people with influence and power will never get any sort of punishment in Thailand its a rich mans country and it will still be the same for the next hundred years money talks in Thailand

care to elaborate?

Not on this forum. Which 10% part of my post was 'ballpark'?

How bizarre.

The coup literally benefits the few and denies the overwhelming majority of Thais (not just Reds) of their rights and freedoms.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

How bizarre.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

?