Buying A Motorbike In Cambodia.

KhunHeineken

There is some information on this subject on the internet, but I'm starting this new thread to get up to date information.

I spend a lot of time in South East Asia. I am experienced with the crazy traffic and the locals ignoring the road rules.

Last couple of years I have been going to Sihanoukville and I like the place. I stayed there a few months each time and will go back there again this year.

I would like to buy a cheap second hand bike. I don't really care what make, model, how big the engine is or what condition it's in, as long as it's mechanically reliable.

It's only got to get me to Downtown and the beaches. I will not be riding fast, or doing a lot of kilometers, or going off road. I have no problem getting it serviced, as soon as I buy it. I don't care about things like scratches to the paint.

What I do care about is being completely legal. Yes, I know Cambo is The Wild West and for a few US dollars every now and then, you can ride what you want, any way your want. I'm sure you all know what I mean, but I would like to be legal.

My questions are, to be completely legal, it has to have a registration plate and I am guessing the chassis and engline number must match up with some sort of paperwork or registration card. Also, I would insist on some sort of receipt of payment from the previous owner. Does this have to have any specific wording in it, or the previous owners fingerprint? Where and how do I transfer the ownership into my name? Can a foreigner own a bike in Cambodia? Is it easy or hard and what costs are involved? I am single, so there is no Khmer lady to put the bike in her name.

I already have a Cambodian drivers and riders licence. I usually hire a bike, but would like to buy one this time.

Would members suggest buying from a shop, or off one of the internet classifieds or local notice boards? If a shop, can you give me the name and location of the shop and why you ar recommending them?

Can anyone recommend a place where to buy a full face helmet in Sihanoukville? I know it will not be good quality, but may stop my face getting ground off on the road. Also, a good padlock and chain, because I know bike theft is common there.

What about taxes, fees, registration? Are any of these yearly payments? Does the bike have to undergo a yearly safety check?

In Vietnam, if you ride a 50cc you don't need a licence. Is Cambodia the same? I would consider a 50cc if it is basically looked upon as a bicycle and you don't need any paperwork at all. smile.png

While I'm posting, can anyone tell me why there are brand new bikes for sale, imported from Japan, selling for really cheap because it says "no tax." Is this tax import duty, or registration tax that the bike is missing?

I have a couple of friends in Sihanoukville I can leave the bike with when I am not there, but does anyone know of a place that will store a bike, for a monthly fee? If i can't leave it in storage, I will hopefully buy a bike for cheap, and sell it for around the same price just before I leave. Is there a problem with this idea?

Plenty of questions. Any information would be appreciated.

Edited by KhunHeineken

A repair shop or moto dealer will give you your registration. For a small fee, which I can't remember since it was 3 years ago. I can't remember ever getting insurance either. But there must be some insurers these days.

Otherwise, a certain forum for expats in Cambodia has copious info on all your questions but I can't link it on this bloody site. Google for "expat forum Cambodia." It came up first in the results. Go to the Moto subforum. Poster AE86 knows his stuff.