DSI begins probing murder of Japanese tourist in Sukhothai seven years ago

webfact

DSI begins probing murder of Japanese girl in Sukhothai seven years ago

3-3-2015-10-02-17-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) today began investigating the murder of a Japanese tourist while visiting a historic park in Sukhothai on November 24, 2007.

The opening of the case followed request by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to the DSI to handle the investigation murder and the DSI has accepted it as a special case.

DSI investigators will today meet the commander of Sukhothai police and the commander of the border patrol police based at Ramkhamhaeng camp for cooperation in collecting DNA samples from 160 border patrol police officers who were commissioned at the camp at the time of the murder seven years ago.

DSI wanted DNA test because DNA test had not yet conducted on these policemen.

The test was intended to dispel public suspicion that the border police might be involved in the murder as earlier autopsy indicated that the knife used to kill the Japanese tourist was a bayonet used only in the military and border police.

DSI police and tourism authorities will also bring the parents of the girl to visit the scene where the murder took place to remember her today.

The parents will also meet DSI chief Mrs Suwana Suwanjuta on Thursday and Justice Minister Gen Phaiboon Khumchaya on Friday to seek justice for their deceased daughter.

The victim, Miss Tomoko Kawashita, 25, from Osaka, was found killed near the Sukhothai Historical Park on November 24, 2007.

She had been seen touring the park, a World Heritage site, on a bicycle rented the day she was killed.

Earlier the deputy commander of Sukhothai police said the police have not given up its effort to hunt down the murderer even though the case had been transferred to the Department of Special Investigation to handle.

Earlier the DSI has come up with a new theory that the victim might have been killed by her murderer using a military knife and not a kitchen knife as earlier thought.

The deep knife wounds on the victim’s throat led the DSI to suspect that she was attacked with a bayonet.

The DSI has revived the case for renewed investigation after Japanese ambassador Shigekazo Sato in February last year raised the case with former national police chief Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew.

The ambassador also expressed concern for the safety of some 1.2 million Japanese tourists visiting Thailand annually.

For the past almost six years, there has been no progress about the case although many dozens of suspects were rounded up and eventually released.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dsi-begins-probing-murder-of-japanese-girl-in-sukhothai-seven-years-ago

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-03-03

• Like 1

The DSI are not too hot at dealing with current cases and this is a very cold one !

Anyone holding their breath ?

I'm not.

As I said yesterday, probably the police did it and we will never know the truth.

All this DNA testing and reopened investigations is to pull wool over the japanese eyes.

The outcome will be zilch.

• Like 2

The test was intended to dispel public suspicion that the border police might be involved in the murder

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-03-03

Facepalm. How do they know the DNA test will dispel public suspicion BEFORE it has been conducted? This is why no one trusts the "police".

• Like 2

Seven years is a long time to start this investigation. Is this in response hoping the DNA samples would become to old to use? or hoping some how the DNA sample are switched so no matching DNA will be discovered? Ummmmm this sounds a bit fishy. Well at least we know now that huge stack of cases sitting on your desk has been cleared away. I hope it doesn't take another seven years on that other pile on your desk.....you know the one dealing with the British couple murdered on the beach in Phuket?...we commend you on a job well done!

As reported in the article, this is the purpose of the DNA test:

The test was intended to dispel public suspicion that the border police might be involved in the murder

And perhaps the only purpose of reopening the case?

T

This one is touching for me as only 6 months earlier to this poor girls death I was doing the same thing: rented a bike to see the lovely temples and surrounds. RIP and I hope they catch the person who did this if not they will pay for this upon their death anyway - Murder is not free, only fools believe otherwise and hell is full of them.

• Like 1

T

Let me get this right, test was to dispel public suspicion police might be in involved with the murder? If that was the motive to have an investigation in the first place, thats not speaking well of....... remember the victim? Regardless of suspicion a crime has been committed and if it takes DNA samples of every living person in 20 mile radius....do it! and don't stop until the true murderer is found. At least thats what we do in the US. Whats wrong with this country? Do they put local murders more important then the tourist which is their bread and butter......or have they forgotten that as well?

T

Let me get this right, test was to dispel public suspicion police might be in involved with the murder? If that was the motive to have an investigation in the first place, thats not speaking well of....... remember the victim? Regardless of suspicion a crime has been committed and if it takes DNA samples of every living person in 20 mile radius....do it! and don't stop until the true murderer is found. At least thats what we do in the US. Whats wrong with this country? Do they put local murders more important then the tourist which is their bread and butter......or have they forgotten that as well?

There s no motive or for what reason she was murdered mentioned in this case.

Was the girl sexually assaulted or raped? Did she get involved in an argument or altercation? Was she with friends or a boyfriend at the time. Could the perpetrator had been a knife yielding psycho? Otherwise, why would the police or anyone else murder her?

This post won't be cynical, negative or sarcastic, that's probably why it will be different to about 95% of the previous contributions.

Yes most definitely more should have been done at the time, yes it is definitely far too long since this was last looked at, and yes it will definitely be very difficult to reopen this case effectively enough to get a credible result.

Does this mean it should not be reopened? No definitely not as it is never too late to reopen a case of murder.

Yes I may be overly optimistic and until we see a result I'll pay that, but do you think if we were still under the previous administration we would see even this small progress?

Thankfully this is now a different environment we live in, is it perfect and will we see drastic change on a daily basis? No only a fool would believe that, but there have been several and meaningful changes over the last year and I for one am prepared to wait and see where this goes. We can only hope that justice has it's day and the guilty person pay's in full for what they did.

This poor girl's family deserves no less...

So the murders will be Cambodian then? Some illegal Cambodians without proper papers who will be beaten into confession, Koh Tao style?

7 years (and how many more) to solve this crime? Shame on Thailand once again!!!!

Better late then never, but a 7 1/2 year delay is unforgivable. It is high time to instigate meaningful and thorough police reform, perhaps using the aborted effort in 2002 (13 years ago) as a starting point.

It breaks my heart to read this and infuriates me that this has gone on for 7 years without resolution. Nothing will be uncovered; the guilty party will have moved onto his next victim and all clues will be cold as ice. Why go through the motions other than to placate the parents? I hope it gives them some peace of mind and that the murdering scum rots in hell for his crime...RIP beautiful girl You are in a beautiful, peaceful place now and nobody will ever hurt you again.

They understand inviting the Russians was a big mistake, with all the extra privileges, now years ago.

Then lets try the Chinese, well so many not behave (less then 1%, but social media ...)

Now lets try and make good on the Japs, we where their allies during WW2, (until Thailand changed sides, because, OOPS).

For some reason the good (and bad) European/USA/Australian, lets call us FARANGS ...

... damn most of them learned we(Thai) cheat, steal and scam, so less money ... WELCOME OPEN Social Media.

OK, time for bed, almost too much drinks today.