Soldiers arrest Pattaya woman for selling alcohol to foreign tourists

webfact

So indeed double standards.

Nope, everyone out here was treated the same

We're talking about Thailand aren't we, and the law is the same for everybody in Thailand isn't it?

Well actually not, because where you were staying the law was not enforced.

I think to remember from your post history that you have something to do with Thai law in one way or another, and you want to claim that are no double standards with the OP of this thread?

Edited by Anthony5

So the police didn't have the guts to arrest her and had to call the army.

Says a lot about them.....................

First of all Martial Law was was instilled by the Military... Not the Police! Police did their job correctly. When own made a scene and complained for everyone that she was being Harassed by the Police. They proved a Point! They were enforcing the Law... She still continued, hurling insults at them, They did the next best thing.

Proved they were correct! Called for the Military to take Jurisdiction... which they did and showed her "She was wrong"!! Martial Law is a Military Thing! Can be enforced by State and Local Police... If there is an Issue they are completely correct to Call and Hand-off to Military...

Normally I do not say pro or con anything pertaining to Military or Police Matters... But all the Idiotic thing that have been Posted.... Needed to be corrected also! Their are a few of us Farangs who understand and didn't have to learn to love Thailand, we married for long haul and have beautiful families because of where are Hearts and Minds are...

Whether or not they choose to enforce law (Police) That is a differ story. Has no connection or correlation to the subject here...

Edited by davidstipek

We're talking about Thailand aren't we, and the law is the same for everybody in Thailand isn't it?

I think to remember from your post history that you have something to do with Thai law in one way or another, and you want to claim that are no double standards with the OP of this thread?

Nope I have nothing to do with the legal system at all.

Is anything enforced uniformly in Thailand? No.

Is it "double standards"? No

AFAIK every place in the area was treated exactly the same. Drinking Lao Khao or drinking The Glenlivet made no difference in the area. One standard.

Nope I have nothing to do with the legal system at all.

Is anything enforced uniformly in Thailand? No.

Is it "double standards"? No

AFAIK every place in the area was treated exactly the same. Drinking Lao Khao or drinking The Glenlivet made no difference in the area. One standard.

I'm gonna stop the discussion, because you are clearly stubborn.

Just do me a favor and answer me one question.

Are the officers club and the hotel mentioned in the OP both in the same country, and did the army announce that they would strictly enforce the alcohol ban EVERYWHERE in Thailand?

Thank you.

Edited by Anthony5

There are a couple of odd points in this story that no-one has so far commented on.

Hotels, along with the airports, are supposed to be exempt and the article clearly says, "a restaurant in a hotel called Everyone's Inn in Banglamung district was selling alcohol to foreign tourists". So why weren't they exempt?

The report says that the raid took place at 11.00 pm. Maha Bucha day finished at midnight, so was it really necessary to call out the army to uphold the ban for 1 more hour? Had the lady been a bit more cunning she could just have said, "Ok", waited for the police to go, and then served a bit more slowly for an hour or so.

Rightly or wrongly, it has been the custom in the past for the bars to start selling alcohol again from about 11.00 pm, although the go-go bars tend not to bother and give the girls a night off.

All in all, this story doesn't make much sense at face value.

The exemption to alcohol bans is limited to major tourist hotels. Pop into the Marriott etc and you can drink. AFAIK nothing short of real 5 star places are exempt.

Sorry to nitpick, buy HEY! This is TV right? I've seen the Golden Beer Bar serving when the rest of Soi Nana was dark. You know the one - out front of the FIVE STAR Nana Hotel. biggrin.png

Outside? You mean the place on the street? Even if the Nana was theoretically exempt that place wouldn't be.

If you are referring to the past, not particularly significant these days.

Actually I'm a seer and I was referring to the future. You want a pissing contest? OK - I'm in. Anybody have a drink at the golden Beer Bar at the Nana Hotel on the day in question? Jeeeez - another TV member who knows every <deleted> thing.

I have no argument re Golden Bar - the owner is a very well connected Chinese-Thai who can pretty much do as he wants - but this is the first time I've seen Nana Hotel referred to as 'five star'. They've had the same website (complete with reference to a 'smashing disco club' which opens every 3-6 months to great fanfare and closes again within 6 weeks) for roughly 20 years and they certainly dont refer to themselves as such.

I have no argument re Golden Bar - the owner is a very well connected Chinese-Thai who can pretty much do as he wants - but this is the first time I've seen Nana Hotel referred to as 'five star'. They've had the same website (complete with reference to a 'smashing disco club' which opens every 3-6 months to great fanfare and closes again within 6 weeks) for roughly 20 years and they certainly dont refer to themselves as such.

Well clearly they are not a five star hotel. My sarcasm on that must not have been clear. That's the point I was trying to make with the post that claimed it was only for 5 star hotels.

• Like 1

I think one of the underlying irritations is the readily apparent behavior of those who enforce laws that there is one law for those without pull, connections, power and another for those with power. 'DO AS i SAY, NOT AS I DO"

Let's just say this story is accurate and of course we all know alcohol was sold yesterday all over the country in various venues from upcountry mom and pop stores to Nana bars.

The one woman who was made an example of disregarded a lawful order and insulted the authorities.

Silly Cow, pick your battles.

Edited by arunsakda

Well clearly they are not a five star hotel. My sarcasm on that must not have been clear. That's the point I was trying to make with the post that claimed it was only for 5 star hotels.

Pretty sure it wasn't open yesterday, but it still wouldn't be covered by the legal exemption even if it were open (TTBOMK)

The legal exemption is totally different than paying local enforcement to look the other way.

There is either law, or there is not law. Police should be able and willing to enforce proper law. Now when you have military rule and martial law, well.... I think the lady was showing her frustration at the current junta situation and it now got her into more trouble. But I wouldn't doubt that she was extorted at first and didn't want to pay the toll

The recent revolution in Tunisia started over the same kind of injustice. The woman was right and represents the spirit of free Thailand. As for the uniformed bullies. They do know shame and eventually they will turn on their masters if they are forced to pull such illegal stunts again against the will of the Thai people.

The recent revolution in Tunisia started over the same kind of injustice. The woman was right and represents the spirit of free Thailand. As for the uniformed bullies. They do know shame and eventually they will turn on their masters if they are forced to pull such illegal stunts again against the will of the Thai people.

Nothing illegal about enforcement of the 1 day alcohol ban. Frankly the police dropped the ball by not making the arrest themselves unless they had orders to the contrary.

First of all Martial Law was was instilled by the Military... Not the Police! Police did their job correctly. When own made a scene and complained for everyone that she was being Harassed by the Police. They proved a Point! They were enforcing the Law... She still continued, hurling insults at them, They did the next best thing.

Proved they were correct! Called for the Military to take Jurisdiction... which they did and showed her "She was wrong"!! Martial Law is a Military Thing! Can be enforced by State and Local Police... If there is an Issue they are completely correct to Call and Hand-off to Military...

Normally I do not say pro or con anything pertaining to Military or Police Matters... But all the Idiotic thing that have been Posted.... Needed to be corrected also! Their are a few of us Farangs who understand and didn't have to learn to love Thailand, we married for long haul and have beautiful families because of where are Hearts and Minds are...

Whether or not they choose to enforce law (Police) That is a differ story. Has no connection or correlation to the subject here...

You might need to check yourself for sycophantic behavioural issues related to where you decided to live, cause this post of yours went off rails right after you said u normally don't comment.

Disconnect much?

Pattaya Bar Owner arrested for selling liquor on Holy Day

bar-21.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Police attempted to arrest a 49 year old female bar owner on Wednesday night, for selling Liquor to members of the public on a Holy Day when the sale of such items are prohibited under Thai Law. The Army was called in and used their powers under Martial Law to detain the woman after she refused to be taken away by the Police.

The unusual incident occurred at the Everybody’s Inn in Soi Welcome off Jomtien Beach Road at 9pm on Wednesday Night, 3 hours before the 24 hour ban on sale of liquor was due to expire.

Police entered the licensed premise and spoke with the owner, Khun Papitchaya, who Police described as intoxicated and confrontational. Officers took pictures of alcoholic beverages in front of foreign patrons, who were told to pay their bills and leave.

Source: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/174633/pattaya-bar-owner-arrested-for-selling-liquor-on-holy-day/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-03-06

The woman had a point, let those who are without sin cast the first stone.

That wouldn't be the police.

A bright example of "not taking responsibility"; they probably told the army: "it's your martial law, you come to arrest her"

Separation of church and state is a principle Thailand needs to embrace.

It should be up to every individual if they want to adhere to any form of religous doctrine. The state should have no part in it. By so doing, they are forcing their religous doctrine on people who do not subscribe to their religion.

Not that most Thais, who are presumably Buddhist, adhere to it either.

• Like 1

Same as with many other rules, there is quite openly disobedience.

In my area in Bangkok there are plenty little places that sold alcohol to locals.

The problem is that there is no wide spread support for the rule and a lack of enforcement.

If you are not prepared to enforce the rule, it would be best to scrap it.

To be perfectly honest, the banning of alchohol sales during religeous holidays is of no great consequence to me, if the ban is properly applied and announced, much as I like a drink from time to time! However, I do wish that the rulings would be right accross the board, and country-wide not cherry picked, so that we all know where we stand - that on such and such a date there will be no booze available - anywhere! Or NOT!

Edited by petercool
edited bold type

What does drinking or not drinking have to do with Buddhism?

Nothing.

Wrong.

The Fifth Precept, central to the religion, deals directly with alcohol.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 1

Strange - it won't let me quote a visible post.

Someone asked what Buddhism has to do with drinking. You don't have to dig too deep.

Drinking is covered by the 5 precepts

Edited by jdinasia